Ticats Games now on FM Radio

Amid all the garbage and incompetence of the past few years, Coach Sal was a beacon of quality, experience, and broadcasting excellence. A true piece of cake in a sea of melba toast. Very sad to see him dismissed in such a heartless way. I will miss his contributions immensely. This is definitely a step backwards.

I guess they just want to find more for Lancaster to do..

:roll:

How is Lancaster, who has been immersed in every single aspect of pro football save officating AND an accomplished broadcaster at the professional level a "step backward" for a once-a-week radio broadcast?

You dont have to like the move but "backwards"?

I guess nothing stands in the way of an agenda.

cheergirl:

.....but if Coach Sal has to be replaced I think Ron Lancaster is the best choice.

It is possible someone disagrees with you without it being some sort of vast mindless conspiracy or an 'agenda'.

Could be, but not in this case.

Anti-Lancaster anything around here is not particularly "vast", nor "mindless".
Just persistent and focussed.

Apparently not. I believe it's ironic, but that Alanis song has confused my definition.

Seems a few are still smarting from Lancaster's brush off of ill informed 5th QTR callers years ago and some still blame him for the collapse of the team in 03 his support of a QB they didnt like and then the supposed meddling and firing of Marshall ALL with zero evidence provided.
So whenever or whatever Lancaster does with this org. even if it makes sense and progressive like the radio change there will always be resistence until the day he is completely removed from team operations.

By no means does this apply to everyone.In cheergirl's case for example I suspect she simply likes Sal and favours continuity.

So sad that our friend "RONtar" can't see that it's all right for someone to prefer the excellence of John Salavantis. There is no agenda or vast conspiracy; the simple fact is that some of us are very pleased with the intelligence, insight, and vast football experience of Coach Sal, and see no need for a change. I know that I would prefer to listen to John, not Ron. Simple!

Salavantis was good. Lancaster will be better.

Whilst you may not forget his approachability but as far as the broadcast goes Salavantis will be forgotten.

Then you'll be searching for some other anti-Lanc/anti-managment avenue.(and probably find one)

My take on things:

Live in the past, and get left behind.

Did I miss something? Are there any quotes on file from our GM or from John in regards to the changes, actual quotes not heresay. Does anybody know the exact circumstances for the change? Did John want this change, does he have another position he is moving to.

I didn't listen to the radio broadcasts often, however, when I did I found John a very knowledgeable football man. Ron is also a very knowledgeable football man.

What I'm saying to all the people that are saying that John has been treated unfairly, do you really know the situation? I don't. So i'm not going to pass judgement either way.

You missed something.

http://www.thespec.com/article/370847

Hope that helps.

Thanks Hendy, I missed that article.

So basically, they wanted a recognizable name brand and to save a little cash. I have no problem with that.

Now that the game is on FM I may listen to the radio broadcast and watch the games on TV. I didn't do that with AM because my TV is in the basement and I don't get good AM reception.

Anything is better than listening to Leif Peterson and Glen Suitor IMO.

It's too bad that Coach Sal has been replaced. I've always found him to be extremely insightful and knowledgeable. I've always thought he would do well on television. His knowledge of the TiCats really added a lot of zeal to his broadcast.

Ron Lancaster is also very good. I still think the best broadcast team if football was in the 70's on CBC with Don Wittman, Ron Lancaster and Leo Cahill. They were also the first to use the infamous "telestrater".

With the games on FM we will now get to hear them in stereo which will be nice. But on the flip side that means Jason Farr's inane delivery coming over my speakers in stereo as well. That's kind of unsettling

Ron Lancaster is also very good. I still think the best broadcast team if football was in the 70's on CBC with Don Wittman, Ron Lancaster and Leo Cahill. They were also the first to use the infamous "telestrater".
BoxD...you're older than you think.

It was the late 80's and early 90's that saw us have Ronnie and Leo.

The telestrator was originally used by Howie "Gosh golly peanuts" Meeker, also with the CBC, but on HNIC.

With the games on FM we will now get to hear them in stereo which will be nice. But on the flip side that means Jason Farr's inane delivery coming over my speakers in stereo as well. That's kind of unsettling
Yikes..........there is no escape from jason farr. tv, radio or live at the game he is there to annoy.

That is it in a nutshell ... there are only so many bus rodeos that he can attend in a year.

I immensely echo this point. I like listening to the game on the radio when I'm driving...but man, the atmosphere just doesn't make it over the airwaves.

With even factory car stereos today, you should be able to be swept up in the crowds emotion when listening to a game on the radio. And it'd make a hell of an advertisement for the in-stadium experience.

The crowd and the noise of our Ivor Wynne crowd is a key selling point...it'd be great to hear that on the radio.