Ticats D Coaching Structure

Dork: Did you ever notice that you absolutely love every decision the Ticats make? And if they reverse that decision a few months later, you completely love the reversal and explain why the earlier decision was not so great anyway?

Meanwhile, you openly mock anyone who doesn’t back either the original decision or the reversal?

I’ve noticed.

Never reversed anything. Im still sckeptical of Jones and Im still sckeptical of the Glanville hiring but Steinauer hire since then has mitigated that.

There are some who think Lolley didnt derserve to be fired. I said he didnt do anything remarkable to maintain job security. Glanville or no Glanville.

Did I miss anything?

Let me know and come on back.

Lots of opinions have been expressed here. That is what this forum is for.

It is a fact that June Jones learned about Orlando from Scott Mitchell
and kept pressing him to give him a call. (that is public information)

My opinion is that

June likely watched film of Orlando's Defence too. and he
feels strongly that Orlando will be a help to Jerry Glanville.

Job titles aren't well defined as people on the outside think.

June, himself, is known to ask for other people's opinions.

He accepts some and at times goes with his gut feeling

June knows Jerry Glanville well enough that he feels

that Jerry will be open to Orlando's opinions.

Well said, Ron. I suspect you are right.

June Jones does come across as a collaborative type of person. If he instills that in the staff and players, I think we'll have a good future. Enough of our potential free agents felt good enough about things to re-sign here. To me, that speaks volumes. If Orlondo S is being groomed to be the next head coach, he has some good experienced colleagues around him to help him add to his own football wisdom.

God bless us! Thatz what we need, a consensus amongst coaches before each play call. Nooooooooooooo!
A coach ( Head/OC/DC) should have the grey matter to make a call himself. Consensus is pure bull-feathers !!!
Consensus doesn’t have a place in sport where decisions have to be made on the fly/ quickly.

I can see it now; 2nd and 1 from their 1 yd line, “ what do you think Orlando, what do you think Jerry, can we see a show of hands. Do we go with the shot gun to WR or a quick throw down middle or QB plunge or a sweep?? “ How about a fan poll or let me call a friend?.

I am Not a fan of JJ.
I am Not a fan of JJ.
I am Not a fan of JJ.

There you go. I don’t disagree with anything you said. Wasn’t overly impressed with our defence in the last part of 2017 - it only looked good in comparison to the start of the season. Lolley’s lasting legacy may be the decision to bench E Davis, who I still think has a lot left in the tank. (By “reversal” I meant the team making him DC, and then un-making him DC.)

It’s good to see you acknowledge that mgmt does some things you like and some you’re less sure of.

Gee, Slomo, after reading this, a person would almost think you don’t care for June Junes very much.

As for the consensus question, I don’t think Ron was talking about taking votes on individual play calls mid-game. If I’m not mistaken, he was referring to an apparent lack of clear demarcation in assistant coach responsibilities, and suggesting that this isn’t necessarily a problem, since the coaching staff will work together and June Jones is comfortable with a collaborative staff approach.

For my part, I concur with Ron’s view.

BTW, just so there isn’t any confusion about it, I am a fan of JJ.

I'm a Jones fan, also . He teaches but he also learns everyday . If you're not watching, listening, guiding and learning, you're not getting better as a coach and neither are your players . Game day decisions have already been rehearsed in practice. Asking your quarterback for input is common place during games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking " Whatya think?"
If the head coach doesn't value input from players and staff, then communication has broken down . In- game decisions are made by a head coach or coordinator, not a committee . To suggest such is rather silly . When the Little General sent Joe Hagins into the game with that "special" call, the coach was deciding, not a caucus on the sideline.

The best part of coaching is watching your players perform what they've done 100 times in practice, with the odd "special" play thrown in for history's sake .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

Ok I respect your position. I was being a little extreme about taking votes on individual plays but just wanted to make point ( I guess it got lost) that a good/confident coach need not get concensus. He/she knows exactly what his team can do, who can perform and he gets to it. That is my point. JJ IMO is not that coach, nice guy but not that coach. Letz go Cats!

Effect of Lolley may havebeen skewedsomewhat by the fact thatthe offence averaged 18.5 ppg in the first games (prior to JuneJonesand Masoli) and 29.5 ppg in the last 10 games. Good offence isa good defence?

I respect yours as well. We just don’t see it the same way. I view good leadership skill in a coach more the way PatLynch described it just above. To me, being confident does not mean knowing everything. No one does. Listening to those you work with, respecting their skills and learning from them are important attributes in a good leader in my view. Doing those things helps the leader to win their team’s confidence and loyalty and motivates them to do their best. I think June Jones is that kind of leader. I agree, let’s go Cats.

Yep go Cats. June didn’t exhibit the traits you are talking about last year when his decisions cost us a game or two. Hopefully he learned from those mistakes. Ok enough said. I will judge come July/Aug.

Well, I think he did exhibit those traits last year. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about it. But we both look forward to a good season ahead.

But, now we have Orlondo as Assistant Head coach and he understands the Canadian game as well as anyone. Being a co-ordinator, he’s a good teacher.

This will be fixed.

I sense the sarcasm in Ron's post, but have to think that any "consensus" among the coaching staff will take during practice week, pre-game, and not during the game, other than perhaps half-time adjustments. From what I see, most teams use charts outlining factors such as time, field position, distance and down, to decide the best play from the possibilities placed in the game plan. No doubt leeway is available, but I'm thinking the team has highlighted and practiced various specific plays which they feel are best suited to match that week's opponent.

If Jones likes to use a consensus, collaboration, or even a committee approach, what difference does it make? The goal is to win games, and if it works, so be it!

I hear ya, Pat.

Differing perspectives can be helpful. Others may see something that your eyes may have been distracted from. It’s all good.

As long as everyone understands who makes the final decisions.

Any guesses on whether Steinauer will be at the bench or in the booth during games? Either way, he should be able to make his opinions heard.

Some interesting tidbits in the audio clips from June Jones & Jerry Glanville from last Friday on TSN1150. A little insight on how things may unfold as far as structure and process etc.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/jones-the-ticats-are-better-with-glanville-on-staff-1.1009170

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/glanville-i-think-the-cfl-is-a-better-game-than-anywhere-1.1009245

June...It is Orlondo, not Orlando.
And from the Jerry interview. Oh baby I hope i am wrong but I don't see this ending well.

I just listened to the Glanville radio interview.
The man is full of himself. A lot of bravado. Could have been listening to the POTUS. Based on this interview alone…not a fan of his personality.

We’ll see how he actually performs. Glad Orlondo is here as a safety net.