Ticats cut Wayne Smith

Hamilton Tiger-Cats ? @Ticats Delete
The #Ticats have also released non-import offensive lineman Wayne Smith.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the team has signed four members of its 2011 Canadian draft class: offensive lineman Pascal Baillargeon, defensive end Marc-Antoine Fortin, tight end/fullback Tyrell Francisco and linebacker Patrick Jean-Mary.

The Ticats also announced that the team has released non-import offensive lineman Wayne Smith.

For more information: http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-ink ... raft-picks

O.K. - reading the article, it states:

Francisco, a 6-3, 250-pound native of Kelowna, British Columbia, caught 18 passes for 185 yards and five touchdowns in four seasons as a tight end at Weber State. The Ticats drafted him in the fifth round (36th overall).
4 seasons, and only 185 yards to show for it. According to my math ( new or old ) - that equals ~ 46 yards/season.
Yeah - I REALLY want this guy... NOT .
Maybe they plan to make him an offensive lineman, because as a tight-end, his #s are really offensive, if you know what I mean....

:cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

Releasing Wayne Smith creates cap space and perhaps means the Cats hope a draft pick from this year or last will be a depth player. When Smith played, the OLine never missed a beat. He will be missed.
Two players who might walk in and start are Moe Petrus( Centre 6'2" 302 U. Conn.) from last year's draft or Austin Pasztor (Guard 6'7" 305 Virgina) a player who may be on the board when we pick 3rd. The Cats also have Cody Husband (Guard 6'7" 307 UBC) who was on the taxi squad last year.
I think the draft is going to be interesting. We need a depth wide receiver as well as a guard or tackle for the OLine. With the 5 picks from last year plus the 6 picks this year, I think our Canadian roster will be just fine. :smiley:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

Given his heritage, would the Canadian Football League be appealing?

“I’ve been to a couple of Hamilton Tiger Cats games,” Pasztor said. "(But) when you’re a kid and dreaming about whatever you want to do, you always aspire to the highest. You don’t dream about playing in the minor leagues.

“So as a kid I wanted to play in the NHL, or the NBA or the NFL. … My dream has remained the same in that regard.”

:lol:

Those 18 catches for 185 yards were in 15 games, which isn't that bad for a tight end, especially if his role was primarily as an extra blocker on the line. What I'm more concerned about is that over four years, he only played 15 games. And in particular that he only played four games in his senior year after missing the previous year with a torn Achilles tendon.

He definitely has the size to play the blocking role of a tight end, and he actually has experience in the role (so he doesn't have to learn a new skill). But how much is he still hampered by his injury?