ticats cut rocky butler

[url=http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428109912&rem=68678&red=80110923aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm]http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local. ... _local.cfm[/url]

so now chang will for sure be the #2 and i'm glad they stuck with williams for #3

Maas must be looking like the 5,000 yard guy of seasons past.

Although the trade for Rocky isn't looking good, it takes courage for a manager to make such a move.

Doesn't make sense......we give up Smith, Flick and draft pick for nothing and now no proven back up quarterback.

Is it a money thing????? And Williams has shown very little in past few seasons...would have released him, kept Butler as back up with Chang in the wings.....yes Chang looked good in pre-season but so did an Eakin before....

it takes courage to do this but not all courageous people are the smartest....

I imagine someone will pick him up.. maybe Mon. or Win. as they were both looking for new QB talent late in camp.

With the acquisition of French and Anderson, we had 2 more players on our active roster than are allowed. Presumably that couldn't continue indefinitely. In fact, I'm surprised nobody on this board pointed it out!! :lol:

Seriously though, I heard Marcel on Mike Hogan early last week (before cut-down day) and Mike asked him if there was any pressue to keep Butler because he was the other half of a deal that sent 2 good players to Saskatchewan.

Marcel answered in his typically forthright way, saying that "those two players would not have been with our team regardless" so there's no particular pressure to make Butler work out. He didn't say so, but I'm sure money had something to do with it, both signed long-term contracts in the off-season before 2006.

Seems the only players that Marcel is willing to take any kind of a chance on are the young ones. Gather blue-chip Canadian prospects and groom them into a team. I suspect, if necessary, these blue-chip Canadian prospects can then be used to trade for other needs should the arise and should the team appear as though a playoff run is possible, either this year or next year.

Sounds like a pretty good strategy to me.

red24

I'm willing to bet Desjardins and Taaffe are smarter than all of us combined. I hope so anyway.

He did have a "rocky" start in the pre-season, I thought he would be the number 2 starter when he was traded here.

I agree ... Butler should have been kept and Williams released.

We need depth at that position ... not sure this was the right move as Richie has shown very little since arriving last season.

Sometimes players ASK for their release... we dont know who made this decision.

Marcel answered in his typically forthright way, saying that "those two players would not have been with our team regardless" so there's no particular pressure to make Butler work out.
People should read this quote before posting anything about how we traded DJ and Wayne for Rocky.

Good work red24!

"G-M Marcel Desjardins told CHML News they listed Rocky at 4th on the depth chart, and that didn't sit well with the QB, and he asked for his release."

Maybe we do know ...

• paul

Right now Depth Chart is :
(1) Maas
(2) Chang
(3) Willams
Rocky was #4 on the Depth Chart .
He ask Marcel For His Release
Marcel Asked him to stay cause they are right now there looking at all the QB.

Rocky Decided To quit Rather then Fight for a Job..
Marcel Dose not Want players who don't want to be here..

:(
:thdn:

Ya there's no room on this team for a headcase like D.J Flick. :lol: And the last thing we need is another line man who was drafted first over all 3 years ago. These guys are too old people! Get over the fact that they are in the prime of their careers, we need to load up with more 20 year olds. Is there an age limit? Maybe we can go and sign some high school prospects like they do in the NBA.

My point exactly... so now we know that even if people want to bash the trade, he asked to be released.

Ya there's no room on this team for a headcase like D.J Flick. :lol: And the last thing we need is another line man who was drafted first over all 3 years ago. These guys are too old people! Get over the fact that they are in the prime of their careers, we need to load up with more 20 year olds. Is there an age limit? Maybe we can go and sign some high school prospects like they do in the NBA.

I read somewhere (not sure where) that the Flick move was motivated by salary concerns.

Flick was going to be released by the Cats.

That being said, the GM could have set his sights higher than a 3rd string QB who only performed well against our generous defense in Butler with the price he paid.

Oh well there was only ever room for 1 Rocky in this town.