TiCats blurb re: Off-season

by Bob Mitchell - The Star

[b]Busy off-season looms for CFL squads HAMILTON TIGER-CATS QB Henry Burris led the CFL with 43 TDs and 5,367 yards. But the injury-depleted defence couldn’t stop other teams, finishing last in 11 of 25 categories. Their new defensive coordinator must find ways to stop the run and the pass, something they didn’t do well under Casey Creehan’s watch. If tailback Martell Mallett has recovered from his Achilles injury, what happens to running back Avon Colborne and exciting rookie Chevon Walker? Perhaps the biggest question concerns how they will attract free agents playing in a 15,000-seat makeshift stadium at the University of Guelph while the new Pan-Am digs get built. Any way you cut it, it looks like high school, especially to American talent looking for a place to play pro ball.[/b]
[url=http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1297539--busy-off-season-looms-for-cfl-squads]http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... cfl-squads[/url]

And so we hear from the Wonderful Toronto Sports blobs. Thanks TO for your insight.

Players look at potential; can I make this team, this league? They want to play football and get paid: a temporary stadium for a year - same dough - no problem.

Yes but he is from the centre of the universe so how can he be wrong? :roll:

"Perhaps the biggest question concerns how they will attract free agents playing in a 15,000-seat makeshift stadium at the University of Guelph while the new Pan-Am digs get built. Any way you cut it, it looks like high school, especially to American talent looking for a place to play pro ball."

LMFAO.
In comparison to playing in front of hundreds of 'fans' in a 55,000 seat facility with a church-like atmosphere at Rogers?
Toronto scribes crack me up.

Agreed. This is a silly article. If the players have any ill feeling for playing in a College 15k seater stadium then you sell them on the fact in a year you'll be playing in a brand new beautiful state of the art stadium. Like a poster said above. Same dough no problem.

I think the bigger question here is whether this writer has a firm grip on reality??????

And then there is the University of Toronto Varsity Stadium, the stadium of one of the largest and most prestigious universities in Canada.

Seating capacity - 5,000 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate ignorant anti-CFL types too, but he's right about the image problem this creates. Look at it from the point of view of an American player who has only known for a week that the CFL exists. If a player already has fears/preconceptions about the CFL being a beer league, what will he think when he sees where the Cats will be playing in 2013? Don't shoot the messenger on this one, smarmy though he may be.

2013 is going to be a write-off year anyway, when it comes to performance, talent,and coaching. I highly expect the Cats to
be last again in 2013. But with the new stadium in 2014 will spring new hope and energy by the team and their fans.

So what I am saying is count me out next year and I will see you all in 2014 in the stands.

CHOW GOTC (the old guy from the Garney Henley eara) :cowboy: :cowboy:

There. Fixed it for you.

And Varsity Stadium is beautiful. Too bad the Argos couldn’t play there. They’d have to close off Devonshire, which would suck, but I still curse the Royal Conservatory of Music for kiboshing the Argos playing at UofT.