ticats and riders swing trade

i think it happened last season....it almost cost the ticats the win, but they did hold on to get the W, if i remember correctly.

There is no doubt that French was on the bubble and in fact most fans figured he was gone as the Riders are upping the number of NI on the Oline, plus they have a few other Canadian receivers.

Grant is on the 9 game injury list.

Last season was full of turmoil. Lots of players were coming and going during the season of desperation. Kournegay stayed with the club. I’m asserting that because he’s a young player really starting his career, that he could have a solid decade of service to give the Riders.

Personally, I think it was a good trade. Both French and Anderson were most likely going to get cut and instead of getting nothing for them the Riders got a db, something they are lacking in.

I am also happy French is gone. He always seemed to drop a lot of balls.

Buh-bye, Butterfingers French.....

Now that is just cold… :lol:

still trying to figure out how mardi gras ended up on a weekend in june…

can’t wait until they have halloween in august and st. patrick’s day in november.

rob35 Posted: Jun 24, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Kornegay is a mediocre player. Sometimes, he just does not make good decisions.

Two years ago, in a game against the Bombers, there were about 10 seconds left until halftime and Hamilton had a comfortable lead. Winnipeg tried a field goal, but it missed. Kornegay was the returner, and all he had to do was run it out of the endzone and they could kneel it and end the half. Instead, he ran out and then BACK IN and ended being forced to concede a safety touch! Not only that, Winnipeg got the ball back and threw a touchdown to Stegall against that Ticat secondary on the next play to end the half!

hahaha, i remember that play. i remember thinking, what a knuckle head! But, we hopefully don’t have to worry about that exact situation as we have other good returners, ex. Jason Armstead.

this is a biased opinion but..

the riders won this trade. we gave up nothing for thyron anderson, because he didn't make our roster. thus the conditional 6th round pick that would have gone to montreal, stays in sask. thyron was hurt most of TC so i don't think he would have cracked the roster anyways.

and anyone one who knows the NI receiver battle going on in sask knows that french was NOT expected to make the roster.

so we dumped 2 cuts for a look at a young DB. hamilton says kornergay was mediocre, i say who isn't while they're in the hammer :stuck_out_tongue: !! give the kid a chance to work with richie hall and eddie davis.

i think the riders won this trade because thyron and french have already proven that their best years are behind them. kornergay has way more potentail in this league.

but...

i guess in many ways both teams gained depth in postions of need so i'll change my decision.

i'm on the fence for this trade. win-win!!!

This was a good trade for both teams.
Anderson has potential, and French may prosper in a new situation. Certainly Hamilton needs depth at Canadian receiver.
From the Rider point of view, one of the positions we are most vulnerable, right now, is cornerback. Kornegay is still young enough (25) to be considered a prospect, but has more experience than some of the others we have at that position.
Anderson was a likely cut, and French simply got outperformed by youngsters like Fantuz, McKoy, Hoffart and Bagg. Cap room was likely freed up as well.
A lot of ET's trades are headscatchers...but not this one.
Even if Kornegay does not make the team, he is/was worth a look.

The truth is sometimes cold. French indeed was a butterfingers. Good trade though. How often were French and Anderson going to be used anyway. We have like 8 other great/good receivers, that are just as good or better than them.

The Cats announced that they were about to cut Kornegay, but shopped him around the league first. The Riders were very interested, giving up two good receivers in exchange.

Anderson actually never played for the Riders, who acquired him from Montreal during the off-season. He was one of the four 1,000-yard receivers the Als had a couple of years ago, so despite the sour grapes coming from the prairies, he is a good receiver.

French is a Canadian, and with the Cats attempting to Canuckify their receiving corps, he's a good fit.

I do believe its a good trade for both sides. As for sour grapes, you are off base there. French's production dropped after a 52 catch season a couple of years ago, and a change of scenery might be beneficial for him.

That part made me giggle…I wouldn’t exactly call French a good receiver…at least, not recently…

The Riders are still neck deep with receivers, no worries there. Kornegay is a good DB, I remember seeing him play last year and was impressed with his speed. Good pick up by the Riders with another ball hawk on an already speedy Defense.

If that’s your take, then how bad must he be if he’s not good enough to make the Ticats?