Ticats Add Nat. Long Snapper Kevin Malcolm To Practice Roster

Local Guy, played at Mac, Good signing!

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Tuesday that the football club has added national free agent long snapper Kevin Malcolm to the practice roster.
Malcolm, 26, played in 29 games over two seasons (2015-16) for the Ottawa Redblacks. Prior to turning pro, the 5-11, 230-pound native of Hamilton, Ontario, played four seasons at McMaster University. Malcolm appeared in the Vanier Cup three times (2011, 2012, 2014) with the Marauders, winning the championship in 2011.
http://ticats.ca/tiger-cats-add-national-long-snapper-malcolm-to-practice-roster/

Our current Long Snapper Aaron Crawford turns 32 next season
he got injured last game

While he's announced as joining the Practice Roster, Malcolm's showing on the Active Roster (#32), with Shortill moved to the Injured List.

While it doesn't match up with the ticats.ca roster now, or yet, cfl.ca/transactions shows both newcomers have been added to the Active Roster, with Mueller deleted and, as yet, not put on any other list:

ROSTER31-Oct-17
HAM ADD NAT Kevin MALCOLM (DL) McMaster
HAM ADD NAT Akeem WHONDER (LB) Windsor
HAM DEL INT Ryan MUELLER (DL) Kansas State
HAM TRF TO INJURED NAT Nicholas SHORTILL (LB) McMaster – to Nov-27

Now, on the day of the TiCats' final practice this year, something more interesting from cfl.ca/transactions:

ROSTER01-Nov-17
HAM TRF TO RETIRED NAT Aaron CRAWFORD (LS) Saint Mary’s
HAM TRF TO RETIRED NAT Andrew FANTUZ (WR) Western University

Well, that's potentially big news. Might be just roster trickery though.

Probably trickery, for now anyway. Maybe more like reality come next spring.

I would think totally relate to how the salary cap is calculated. May be some difference between 6 game and retired at this point of the season. We must be real close to the cap.

Torn ACL for Crawford. He gutted it out and finished the game last week with the injury...WOW. Long snappers in the CFL are only important if you don't have one. Get well soon Aaron!

The difference between being retired and being on an injured list is that the 2 players won't, or shouldn't by rule, get paid the 1/18th of their yearly salary -- this final week's game cheque. I'd have to agree with "cap" comment and seriously wonder if these retirements will pass the league's sniff test.

Now that the final game depth chart has been made public, I'm wondering if whoever has the daily responsibility of notifying the league of any roster changes maybe forgot to let the media relations folks, in house, know about the "retirements." While updated with the other changes for this game, the ticats.ca roster shows Fantuz, still on the 1-Game Injured List and Crawford as a 47th active player. :o

Great read here on our new home grown Long snapper!

Snap, and a dream comes true for Hamilton-born Ticat

http://3downnation.com/2017/11/03/snap-dream-comes-true-hamilton-born-ticat/

Interesting, in that article on Malcolm, that the reporter who covers the team on a daily basis considers it unlikely that 10, or more, of the 18 players whose contracts expire in February will be with the club next year. The 18: Atkinson, Banks, Barnett, Capicciotti, Crawford, Dean, Fantuz, Gill, Golson, Langa, Laurent, Masoli, Odiase, Prime, Shortill, Tasker, Demond Washington, Tony Washington.
Copied from the article:

"Masoli is one of several key contributors slated to become a free agent, a list that includes receivers Brandon Banks, Luke Tasker and Andy Fantuz, as well as defensive tackle Ted Laurent.
They are part of a core group of players — a list that also includes quarterback Zach Collaros, offensive linemen Mike Filer and Ryan Bomben, as well as linebacker Simoni Lawrence and safety corner Courtney Stephen — who have formed the nucleus of this club for the past several seasons.
With uncertainty surrounding the front office and the future of head coach June Jones,it’s unlikely thatall — oreven mostof those players will return next season."

Given the typical turnover in the CFL, I don't think that's surprising.

I think that this part of it
“With uncertainty surrounding the front office and the future of head coach June Jones,”

will be addressed in a short period of time

I can see Masoli, Banks, Tasker, etc. all wanting to come back when June Jones re-signs.
Not sure where the "uncertainty surrounding the front office " part of this comes from?
The only front office change that has occurred is Austin relinquishing the H/C position to Jones, which in my opinion was very positive.
Who would you want as your coach? 8)

Austin -

Or Jones

Our new Long snapper was perfect last night! :slight_smile:

2/2 on FG's and 6 for 6 on Punts.