Ticats acquire OL David Beard in trade w/ Elks

HAMILTON — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have acquired national offensive lineman David Beard and a conditional fourth-round draft pick in the 2023 CFL Draft in exchange for national offensive lineman Jesse Gibbon and a second-round draft pick in the 2023 CFL Draft.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/09/02/ticats-acquire-ol-david-beard-in-trade-w-elks/

Keeping up with Elk transactions is pretty much a full time job. Too much work for me.

4 Likes

The 2nd round pick has to be the key to this trade for Jones. The up coming CFL draft is suppose to be one of the best in years.

2 Likes

This looks like a really good trade for Hamilton RIGHT now.

2 Likes

Hamilton has had trouble filling their Centre spot since they unceremoniously dumped Mike Filer.
Acquiring Beard should help them.
Now if only they could get a do over and choose to keep Jeremiah Masoli, rather than Dane Evans.
Without an exceptional QB, they aren't going anywhere.

2 Likes

Jones doesn't do renos. He tears the building down & puts up a new house. Double Blue is right. Unlike 2022 where not much was there past the 1st 2 rounds, 2023 as broken down Aug 1 by 3DownNation has a wealth of talent with a deep crop of NCAA talent eligible. Jones looks to be in 2023 mode right now. Could have the 1st overall, has a 2nd now, 2 in 3rd round & an additional 4th in his recent trades. My question? Beard is considered a premier Ctr & played G for years prior. I'll see if Hamilton locks him up in the next few days/weeks. He's in the last year of his contract, a U of A grad like Korte & good buds with him. If the Cats can't sign him, may very well end up in Edmonton again next spring.

Always entertaining to watch the mad scientist. :rofl: Some real head scratching trades but really curious to see how this all plays out. Elks have been much criticized for their CDN talent which has been a large part of the ST's problems. Haven't had a STC all year which doesn't help. Looks like a rebuild there is in place. But yeah, too exhausting to figure out what's going on, PP. :astonished:

1 Like

This one got me scratching my head all right, I thought Beard was one of their rocks. Probably something behind the scenes we'll never be privy to. How does Jones actually find the time to coach?

1 Like

Bang on Maaax. Hamilton is one of the oldest in the league & look to be getting younger & rebuilding their OL with the Saxelid trade earlier on. They've hung on to some older guys, added more (Micah), some have disappointed (Darby), & look to me to be staring down a rebuild themselves. Still should have a crack this year but they have some serious questions to answer this off season.

1 Like

Apparently Beard is under contract for 2023.

1 Like

My thoughts was and I may be wrong the but the fan sentiment was to dump Masoli most of last season... I could be wrong and just going by what I saw here on this forum. It was a small sample size to go by.

Fan sentiment seems to be the same for Cody in Regina. (IMO he stays). My feeling was that Dane would be the right choice at that time. I like Masoli but he runs very hot & cold IMO. Dane is under pressure these last games with Shiltz gone.

Could be a bunch of QB changes next year - Calgary, Hamilton, Edmonton, maybe Winnipeg. Zach only signed for a year & that OL is the oldest in the league. Zach's been sacked already more times than last year & he's an Eastern guy. His wife's from there too. Do the TiCats make a push for him? Well, that's next year. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The Cody and the fans are like 50 50 on who is to blame... Just the normal run if the mill stuff with fan bases. Not sure the riders in a position to trade Cody either... It is not like Cowtown where as that team is perpetually in good with always having a good stable of studs st the QB position

1 Like

If Zach were to leave the Bombers next year, would the Bombers try and bring in BLM? :thinking: or would they roll with Drew Brown? Some NFL cast off? Questions questions questions.

1 Like

Go with Drew Brown. He's a keeper

1 Like

Any takers on if Zach would leave or be traded... Zero chance

The Elks would move heaven and earth to get Collaros because they need an attraction to get butts in the seats in Commonwealth Stadium

One ..Zach will NEVER walk away from the Bomber aerodrome...
Two ..the Bombers would never trade him

1 Like

If Zach were to leave (extremely unlikely) the Bombers would sign Mr. Fur Coat so that they are guaranteed last minute winning TD drives :slightly_smiling_face:

And a hard no to BLM.

I expect Zach will retire a Bomber. If the Bombers three peat, why would he even consider not chasing history.

I really like Chris Streveler . He was instrumental in the 2019 Playoffs. True Bomber legend. But he was 3-7 that year as our starter. Not really inspiring confidence.
Agree with the pass on BLM. Just speculating.

And what makes the most sense would be Zach staying with The blue and gold.

2 Likes