TICATS ACQUIRE NAT DB HERBERT FROM RIDERS

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Monday that the football club has acquired national defensive back Shane Herbert from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in exchange for the rights to a player on the team’s negotiation list.

Herbert, 27, has appeared in seven games with the Roughriders this season, registering four defensive tackles and two pass knock downs. The native of Ajax, Ontario, signed with the Roughriders on June 19, 2016 after three seasons with the Toronto Argonauts (2013-15). In 31-career CFL games, Herbert has accumulated five defensive tackles, eight special teams tackles and one forced fumble.

The 6-2, 190-pound defensive back spent five seasons at Wilfrid Laurier (2007-2011), suiting up in 32 games. He started nine games as a senior, recording 18 defensive tackles and three interceptions, and participated in the 2010 CIS East-West Bowl.

Drew EdwardsVerified account
?@scratchingpost
#Ticats acquire Canadian DB Shane Hebert from #Riders for a neg list player. He'll provide safety depth after injury to @TheCStephen. #CFL

"Starting safety Courtney Stephen was injured in Friday’s win over Montreal and with Jay Langa already on the six-game injured list and Craig Butler out for the year with a knee injury, Hebert provides insurance behind likely starter Mike Daly."

Daly will fill in well.

Farhan LaljiVerified account
?@FarhanLaljiTSN Farhan Lalji Retweeted CFL
For those asking, the player #Riders get of #TiCats neg list is a QB, but it's not Johnny Manziel. @cflFarhan

Just announced by Drew : The neg list qb is B.J.Daniels going back to the Riders who traded his rights here earlier this year for qb Jake Waters.

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/09/19/riders-re-acquire-qb-b-j-daniels-deal-ticats/]http://3downnation.com/2016/09/19/rider ... al-ticats/[/url]

Absolutely but they need to have a back up who can slot in and play some STs which Daly also does. If not for Langa being on the 6 game, they may not have looked to acquire Herbert.

Sucks about Stephens hopefully he is back soon, this was the last way I ever wanted to see Daly hit the field, but hopefully he fills in well and Herbert can be a demon on special teams and provide some quality depth.

Headline scared me - for a second I thought this was our old friend Kyries.

Don't know anything about Herbert, but I'd have to assume he's happy to be rescued from the abyss of the 2016 Riders.

Funny how CFL trades keep happening right before the two teams are about to play each other.

Hebert WAS on our team a few years ago. Thankfully, he was released. I am not a fan of his.

If we were getting a DB from the Riders, I would have preferred Fred Bennett.

We got a National backup Safety without giving up a draft pick. Pretty good trade in my books…

It's not a bad trade per se, we definitely need a NAT backup. But I think we also need better starters, & it's clear even if Sears is due to come back, we can't count on him to be healthy for even the remainder of the season.

We have some excellent starting DBs. Unfortunately, almost all of them are injured at the moment: Butler, Stephen, Washington, Sears. But I know what you mean about Sears; he does seem to spend more time on the injury list than the active roster. Great when he's able to play, but not sure we're getting our money's worth - and more.