Ticats Acquire DB Milt Collins In Trade With Calgary

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the team has acquired import defensive back Milt Collins and a fifth-round pick in the 2013 CFL Canadian Draft from the Calgary Stampeders in exchange for the rights to non-import LB Jadon Wagner and a fourth-round draft pick in 2013.

For more info: http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-lan ... ith-stamps

Not sure if Collins will help the Cats...
Calgary wasn't using him and would have released him either way.

And Calgary needs good DB's.

Hi Tangledweb:

I find it curious that this deal comes on the heels of their team getting burned yesterday. And as you suggest, if this guy would likely have been available shortly anyway, why give up rights to another player and some Canadian draft picks (although 4th and 5th rounders) for that.

Unless, Obie is getting another favour from them later by gentlemen's agreement (future considerations).

Interesting move. I don't know where Wagner has been this year but he was highly touted at the Draft. Maybe Collins wasn't playing because their new DC didn't appreciate his talents.

Obie is trying everything to strengthen our defensive backfield. :thup:

Catfish, here's hoping that Obie finds the right combination...and soon!!!

Chamblin was the DB coach in Calgary for the past two years. I would imagine it was him who recommended Collins to Obie.

Looks like you could be right, Jordan...this from Sportsnet...

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have been talking for weeks with the Calgary Stampeders about defensive back Milt Collins.

Monday, they got their man.

Sportsnet.ca has learned that the Ti-Cats will receive Collins and a late-round draft pick in 2013 for the rights to Jadon Wagner and a late-round draft pick of their own. The deal was finalized this afternoon, about 24 hours after the Tiger-Cats thumped the Stampeders in the Touchdown Atlantic game in Moncton, N.B.

Collins has been with the Stampeders since breaking into the CFL in 2008, and was a member of Calgary's Grey Cup winning team. He was part of then-Stamps defensive back coach Corey Chamblin's secondary. Now Hamilton's defensive coordinator, the two teams have been discussing Collins in trade talks going back to the early part of the summer.

Wagner, meanwhile, a defensive end from BYU, was a sixth round pick by Hamilton in the 2011 draft, but returned for his senior season. He has Calgary connections, having played for the Colts junior program and also does some long snapping.

I figure he's got to help the TiCats' secondary just by virtue of his CFL experience and the fact that Chamblin knows him and what he can do and that the Cats have been after him fir a while now.

I love this trade. This shows that Obie is aware of the troubles in the secondary, as well does Chamblin and they want to change it. They realized the personal they have right now is not getting the job done and are bringing in a guy who knows Chamblin and more importantly knows his defence so he not going to have to learn a brand new system.

On a side note, I really think we need to put Hinds back at corner. This is what I think our D-Backfield should look like.

CB Bo Smith
HB Marcel Young
S Milt Collins
HB Jason Shivers (although I despise him, hes a much better half then safety)
CB Ryan Hinds

Collins is a good pick up. He's still relatively young but with good CFL experience (e.g. knows the players, the rules, the coach and the field). Obie is obviously gearing up for a playoff run this year by adding to the team's depth. And he didn't weaken the team or upset the team chemistry with this trade.

An Argo-Cat fan

That combination may work although throwing Collins in there immediately could be rash as he is game rusty. He hasn't played much at all this year and likely requires a bit of priming before seeing game action.

If Obie has been working on this deal for a few months, the organization obviously sees something in him that Calgary did not.

Hope it works out for the best as the home stretch is here!

A few weeks ago Obie said (CHML interview) that the team was poised to take action on some NFL cut DB's that they had been following. We haven't seen any action on that front.

Is Collins THE answer for our DB's? I can't imagine that. Anyone know why he fell out of favour in Calgary?

Well, Loyce Means was brought in.

Anyway, Drew makes a good point here:

Collins will likely either challenge Carlos Thomas at field halfback or move into the safety spot, allowing Ryan Hinds to return to field corner. The Hinds-at-safety experiment has had mixed results in my estimation, though it's a lot to ask the kid to learn in a new position on the fly in his sophomore season. I'm still a big Ryan Hinds fan and the Collins trade may help him get back to his comfort zone.
[url=http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2011/09/ticats-acquire-collins-unretire-mariuz-attempt-to-ruin-my-vacation.html]http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2011/ ... ation.html[/url]

Those who wanted improvement in the secondary and want to see steps taken to improve the team now have to like this trade. It looks good to me, even though we had to give up the player considered the steal of this year’s draft to get him.

Good to have a young, yet experienced and versatile DB join the team. More experience was needed at that position.

call me crazy but 1050 TSN Radio reported this afternoon that Ray Mariuz is coming out of retirement and will practice with the Cats this week.

I think Loyce Means is working his way into the defensive backfield also. :thup:

You're crazy.

Drew tweeted the same news. Veteran ST and N/I depth for a playoff run.

IMO he's played well the last two games.

Here's how one Calgary football reporter sees the trade:

[url=http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/stamps-make-trade-on-way-home/]http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/s ... -way-home/[/url]