Ticats Acquire DB Dee Webb & Draft Pick In Trade With Argos

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the they have acquired import defensive back Dee Webb and a conditional pick in the 2013 CFL Canadian Draft from the Toronto Argonauts in exchange for import receiver Maurice Mann.

For more info: http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-acq … th-argos-1

Why?

I've never understood Mo Mann. He looks unstoppable in practice then disappears on Gameday.

The decision to cut McDaniel looks pretty dumb right now.

In Obie we trust!

Seems you never can never have enough salary cap space in Tiger Town... or enough back up DB's ... surely this trade was to make cap space for the player coming over from the Green Riders.

Obie better have something up his sleeve because we won't win with this crop of receivers. We had a plethora of them at the start of the season and now we've gotten rid of 3 veteran players (Bruce, McDaniel and Mann). Maybe Dressler or Fantuz comes our way, one can only hope.

At this time, I think we need more help at DB than receiver . I like the trade.

First Bruce, then McDaniel and now Mann. All of our experienced import receivers are now out of town. From what I've observed lately Mann hasn't gotten that many throws. Bruce wasn't doing much before his trade either. McDaniel wasn't even on the sidelines for most of the games this year before he was dispatched. And in return for this latest trade we are getting some DB help that this defense badly needs.

I've always trusted Obie's judgment.

So why does all this concern me??

There's gotta be something else coming, because at first glance this trade makes little sense.

Especially with the Argos on the outside looking in, and us looking at a playoff birth.

No reason this trade couldn't be done in January..... unless we need a WR roster spot now.

OK....I just found out from my crystal ball...the same one that predicted a Rider win in Montreal early this season...says...that Fantuz is coming....

That's alright...You can thank me later...

Should help both teams with specific positional needs.

The Argos have needed receiving help for 3 years now, yet wait until the season is nearly complete and playoff contention is negligible before making moves??...better late than never I guess..Mann is a consummate pro and will improve the Argos, this season and next.

Simultaneously, the Cats are getting a sorely needed DB who has shown ability, albeit somewhat limited CFL experience.
That being said, the mess hall that is the TiCats backfield require EMR assistance asap, so Webb should be able to help resuscitate the Cats secondary to some degree.
Glad to see that Obie is getting as restless as fans are.... :thup:

The Cats should have kept McDaniel of all 3 IMO.
Game/playoff experience in the receiving corps is now limited although the team needs a vigorous shakeup and this may help.

We'll see..

Seems most fans wanted a message sent to the players ... Well a six figure vet who has 340 yards makes a good message I think. Frees up money and room for another receiver to come in, Giguere ? Fantuz ? Other...

Hi Tangledweb:

"The Argos have needed receiving help for 3 years now, yet wait until the season is nearly complete and playoff contention is negligible before making moves??...better late than never I guess..Mann is a consummate pro and will improve the Argos, this season and next."

And the first thing that Maurice will likely be asked to do when he gets to the Argo camp is provide instruction to the current group on how to catch and keep hold of the football. That is after Jyles pays homage to him....Mann will be the first real player that he's seen all season!!!

This probably means we won't be getting a big name receiver.

scratchingpost #Ticats GM Obie on Mann for Webb trade: “We have other receivers we think we can play with while the DB situation is not quite as stable."
Starting to think that this trade sucks. We should not be letting veteran receivers go right before the playoffs.

Not certain that this will EVER happen unless you have some inside information.

Never was that excited about trading Thompson for Mann in the first place, I guess we can ask ourselves is Webb better than Thompson. :?

Dee Webb has a history with Calgary ... perhaps Coach Chamblin knows him.

Maybe Jeremy Kelley is ready to come off the PR?

Drew Edwards indicates he does.

Maybe Jeremy Kelley is ready to come off the PR?
Well one of Aaron Kelly and Bakari Grant will no longer be inactive on game day.

Now that Mann is gone, I see the regular rotation (barring injuries) as follows:
move Williams to wide right, Thiggy to wide left, B. Grant to mid slot and Stala remains mid slot.

Kelly and McKay can fill in when needed at either positions.

MB seems to prefer Williams at slot on many occasions, although I believe would be more effective as a wide game breaker.