Ticats 2024 Coaching Staff

Have at it.

Paul Boudreau?

4 years under OShea can’t hurt.

5 Likes

Bringing Washington back is rewarding failure. Difficult to accept. Gotta be honest.

6 Likes

So, it’s “Thanks you for your service” to Rob Payne (RBs), Tim Smith (WRs), Robin Ross (LBs), Randy Melvin (DL), Matt Tolliver (O. QC), Charlie Taggart (STs Ass’t) and, as we knew, Jeff Reinebold (STs & Ass’t DBs).
Pleased to learn HAM is the team to get Boudreau, who WPG couldn’t afford to keep under the Ops Cap, to fill Reinebold’s big flip-flops.

3 Likes

Washington with complete control over the D without Stein concerns me.

1 Like

Who knows,
Maybe “O” was holding him back??
One can only hope

2 Likes

Not sure about that. If there’s something we knew Stein was good at it was being a DCoordinator.

Either way it’s sink or swim time for Wash.

5 Likes

Welcome back prevent defense… :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Solid-looking staff, except for Boudreau, who was fired by Winnipeg and who wasn’t particularly stellar as STC for the Bombers (at least, to hear Bomber fans tell it).

I thought Boudreau the odd man out and was let go due to the operations cap

1 Like

Yes, I think you’re right. But Bomber special teams were not great statistically last year either, at the bottom of the league in many categories.

Buffalo Bills legend Naaman Roosevelt.

1 Like

Via 3DNation…

The Bombers finished second in average kickoff yardage (65.9) and third in field goal percentage (90.2) in 2023 but were in the bottom tier of most other special-teams categories, including seventh in gross punting average (46.2), eighth in net punting (35.2), eighth in average kickoff return yards (20) and sixth in average punt return yardage (11.1).

1 Like

Bombers can’t afford a good coach and fans start saying “no loss he’s crap anyways” is on brand for Bummer fans.

4 Likes

Seems like a kicker issue and not so much on the coordinator and let’s not forget their star returner was sidelined for most of the year

5 Likes

If you’re suggesting Boudreau’s not a good STC, why would an experienced STC, turned HC, keep him on his staff for 8 seasons, including promoting him to STC, and keeping him in that role for the past 6 seasons, which included 4 straight Grey Cup appearances?

6 Likes

Hey, just going on the stats that Kovacro mentioned a couple posts ago. Not trying to start anything!

“The Bombers finished second in average kickoff yardage (65.9) and third in field goal percentage (90.2) in 2023 but were in the bottom tier of most other special-teams categories, including seventh in gross punting average (46.2), eighth in net punting (35.2), eighth in average kickoff return yards (20) and sixth in average punt return yardage (11.1).”

1 Like

Of those new names I am intrigued by Naaman Roosevelt - played college football at University at Buffalo. He was a member of the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Montreal Alouettes and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Michael Fletcher - a former linebacker who played for nine seasons with the BC Lions and Toronto Argonauts. Brandon Isaac - DB coach for the Elks for the last two seasons. These gentlemen must have made a good impression to get hired on here. Will they make a difference? Change was needed and hopefully a new approach and attitude will inspire better play.

I am concerned that Mark Washington has control of the D again… He has the moniker of assistant head coach too. As previously mentioned - last kick at the Cats (so to speak…).

2 Likes

Quite a blend there of youth and experience. Glen Young another ex-CFLer who I think is pretty well regarded. I’m interested to see how ex-Argo/Ticat Brandon Isaac makes out with the dbs, he was a pretty physical player at SAM lb. With a lot of new defensive coaches maybe Milanovich wanted some continuity there and decided to hang onto Washington. Possibly same deal with Gibson for the oline.
Was a little surprised to see Jarryd Baines as qb coach - usually that’s an ex- CFL qb spot. But I’m sure Milanovich will have heavy oversight there.

4 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw Brandon Isaac’s name. That Secondary was a weak spot last year and I hope they make an effort to bring in some tough, physical DBs that can wrap up. Isaac seems like a good candidate to help in this regard.

1 Like

I would just like to point out that drawing conclusions from statistics, posted by a totally different team under a specific Coach’s guidance, can be misleading if you are not aware of the full story / circumstances.

Let me share a story to illustrate this point . . .
When the Pittsburgh Steelers hired Bill Cowher to replace the legendary Chuck Noll, he had to assemble his own Coaching staff. As part of that process he decided to interview the Defensive Backs coach from the Cincinnati Bengals as a candidate for the vacant DC position on his staff. The previous year the Bengals were dead last in pretty much every defensive category in the NFL.

Bill Cowher ended up hiring that coach to be his DC; that coach’s name was Dick Lebeau & he went on to invent/introduce “Zone Blitzing” schemes to the Steelers’ D & the NFL in general . . . the rest is history.

My point is that I don’t think Coach Milanovich had to study any statistics to form an opinion of these new Coaches on his staff. He knows what they stand for; he is familiar with their entire body of work. At this point, we should give him the benefit of the doubt & trust his judgement. There will be plenty of time to criticize these choices later on.

And as far as Mark Washington is concerned, while I do not believe Coach O would have “micro-managed” Coach Washington to the point of interfering with individual play calls, you can be sure that Coach O would have “approved / signed off on” each & every Defensive Game Plan before the Tiger-Cats entered each Stadium each week.
Just sayin’ . . .

1 Like