in the middle of the night
for a special Teams Player

What could be better trade bait
at this time of the season
with the play offs coming on

than a veteran CFL Quarterback.

The Salary Management System is not
why Marcel moved Jason Maas so quickly

Somebody give me a reason why he did this.

The accounting for that isn't done
until the end of the football season.

P.S.

Oh, by the way, Edmonton needs a veteran QB.

I haven't been online for a few days.

I see a big discussion has already
been started on this topic.:oops:

Sorry, rebounder.

click here

The problem you run into is 1) you would have to keep paying Maas and 2) I don’t tink its a good idea to keep him around…make a clean break and hand the team completely over to Printers.

The team needed to get rid of Maas, if not it may have very well created a rift in the locker room and that is not what the team needed. They had to cut the line and move on..get the team behind the new QB..they have been through enough..a dreadful losing season, QB controversy, they needed a fresh start.

I think that Marcel didn't throw the golden egg away..no way is he a fortune teller, he didn't think Ricky Ray would go down..but he did see AC go down and a way to make the organizations goal of a fresh start happen and he made it happen.

Yes it is. With Printers signed he needed room to sign NFL cuts. There wouldn't be much room with both Printers and Maas' salaries on the books at the same time.

Thats a pantload. Marcel said himself that after signing printers we are still way under the cap. How does montreal manage to have both calvillo and maas? we dumped berrenechea also the same few days. We have the lowest payroll and are way under the cap. We just wouldnt stand to pay maas for a few weeks and get the best deal possible, and it backfired. Auggie and maas and a draft choice and we didnt even get a second string player let alone a backup or a starter? Why would it be a problem for maas to backup printers, he is backing up calvillo? he backed up ray? and its only till a good deal comes around. we just got too cheap. Its obvious the we dont come close to the cap I just wish there was a MINIMUM teams were forced to spend so we didnt have to be this pathetic year after year with penny pinching ownership

We are also dumping salaries now because the Ticats have no doubt already determined how much $ it will take next year for us to lock up our key free agents and to sign key free agents from other teams.

We will be a force next year, because our current rookie-laden team will have had a year of playing experience with each other, and we will add some star free agents to the mix at important positions in 08. All because Desjardins is doing a great job managing the cap.

(Plus, don't forget that we'll also have a lot of high draft picks in next year's draft, including first overall).

Exactly.
Marcel is no fool. This team started from square 1 at the beginning of the season..financially and on the field. I'm not sure this was the way it should have been done but I'll bet it will pay off in the next couple of years.

Fines are not levied until
THE END OF THE SEASON, folks.

The auditors can visit teams any time
and ask to see their salary figures,

but there are NO CONSEQUENCES
if a team is over the salary cap
at any time DURING THE SEASON.

I don't believe that's why
Marcel dumped Jason so quickly.

I believe he got outnegotiated
by another veteran GM, Jim Popp,

like he was with Eric Tillman
several times.

He is a rookie G.M.

This is just another rookie mistake.

They started when he got here and began
to strip away the foundation of the team.

I notice one thing for sure.Since Maas has left we have been playing alot more as a team.

There are people on this thread who think Maas should have stayed??????
Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!
Please tell me I'm having a nightmare and its really not what people want.

I can't believe there are people on this website
who couldn't have held their noses for a while

until some veteran CFL QB got injured

so the Ticats could get a player
of somewhat comparable value
in a trade for Jason Maas.

P.S.

I bet they consider themselves
to be 'armchair G.M.s' as well.

He got rid of Maas because he was a waste of space. Let the vet with the bruised ego go before we could strip more of his dignity away. It was respectful move by Dej'. And sorry folks no one wants Jason Maas. He is costly and way too damaged. He won't help Edmonton's situation. I jumped for joy the day Maas was traded. It officially ended the nightmare. I would have accepted a dirty jock strap for his departure.

Ron the expert,

Luckily you're not running this organization. We'd still have the same bloody team we had on the field last year. Although the record doesn't indicate this, this team is far better than last year's and at least we have something to look forward to next year. As for the getting fleeced and outnegotiated comments, I firmly believe more than ever that this is bitterness on your part and nothing more. Are you related to Holmes, Maas or Flick? Get a grip Ron cause this team is headed in the right direction under this management team. I don't agree with all the moves but I do agree and understand a majority of them.

Maas, flick, goss, auggie, smith...all traded for third stringers, wow marcel sure has a plan doesnt he?
we cant get one starter out of all that?

see next post.

If a general knowledge of the SMS makes me
an expert, cuckoobird06,then I'm an expert.

You don't seem to have any idea
on what the team's make-up would be

if I ran this organization, cb06.

or whether I am bitter about
how badly we have done in trades

so don't act as if you're an expert
on what I would do or what I think,

RFTT - I gotta disagree with you on this one. We HAD to dump Maas as soon as possible. We would have been paying close to 25% of the mandated budget to QB's. If we had released Maas, or he asked for his release, then we would have to pay his salary fro the rest of the season. Never mind the problems that would enevitably ensue with 2 "starting" QBs on a team.

Maas did the professional thing and accepted the trade. With hindsight being 20/20, then sure, we might have gotten a better trade. However - we traded $350k for $40k. We got a good NI fullback (who, BTW, blocked a Westwood punt last night). There had to be a clean break with Maas.

whats that money do for you? who cares about the mandated budget if we are so far under it we cant see it? Montreal seemed ok yesterday with both anthony and jason in there so I think that two starters stuff is crap. You tell him he is backup till you get a good deal, too bad for him. Look at everything we have traded and gotten nothing for, its pretty sad to see. Why a clean break? it isnt an ex wife here its a backup qb under contract to play here, he dont like it.......too bad for him. he blew this one, watch montreal get a starter for him, then marcel will be the laughing stock of the league. Even a first round draft pick will mean something. we didnt get a starter out of goss, maas, auggie, flick, smith.....what gm couldnt get a starter out of those in trades? its all about money. Lowest payroll equals last place yearly. Its simple to see it.

Thank you, rebounder.

I couldn't have said this part
of what you said better myself.

You tell him [Jason] he is backup till you get a good deal, too bad for him.

Look at everything we have traded
and gotten nothing for, its pretty sad to see.

Why a clean break? it isnt an ex wife here
its a backup qb under contract to play here,

he dont like it.......too bad for him.

he [your M.D. Marcel Desjardins] blew this one,

watch montreal get a starter for him,

then marcel will be

the laughing stock of the league.

Even a first round draft pick
will mean something.

we didnt get a starter out of
goss, maas, auggie, flick, smith

.....what gm couldnt get a starter