Ticat reveals Bruce & Mann were shipped out for speaking up

In this case, the source was concerned that other players that had been outspoken – Maurice Mann and Arland Bruce in particular – had been shipped out, at least in in part, because of their willingness to speak their mind. The player felt that they could face repercussions internally for speaking out publicly. The question isn't whether this is true, but whether that fear is legitimately held.
http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

I wonder who the anonymous source is… :?

And am curious as to why the players do not have confidence in Porter, but do in Glenn…

If true, it may be wise to drop the tandem system and ride Glenn exclusively for the playoffs, then evaluate what is required immediately after post season.

Players that have no confidence of a QB’s ability or lack thereof (whether perceived or not) will hamper team morale and thusly team play.

It makes me sick that our players can't voice their opinions without fear of losing their jobs with the team. If a player doesn't like the schemes, game planning, or the way they are being treated the have the right to speak about it. It's obvious Baggs held his tongue when asked about his new role with the team. I commend Porter and Glenn for making the best of this situation right now and supporting each other despite their internal frustration with the system.

I don't think the players don't support Porter, they just need consistency at QB and realize Glenn is the man for the job. They have enough sense to see the toll this is taking on the entire team let alone the QBs unlike Marcel.

I have a feeling this anonymous player is Stala, seeing as he is a veteran who would speak up about this, and that could be why his role with the team is diminishing also.

You have a great .500 team like last year you don't dump all the veterans and expect to go further. You let them have another year to gel, you fix the little issues like we had at kicker, RB, and DB, and you try again. Look at Winnipeg. You also don't go hiring rookie coaches. We wasted this year a completely unnecessary rebuilding year. I'm really looking forward to what Bruce and Mann have to say at seasons end. Ticat management is a joke. Caretaker I hope you read this and do something about it if our players are really being treated so unfairly like this. Marcel has lost respect of the players, this can't go on another season.

Every one of the players have been playing football for years.
They are professionals.
In football you are told what is to be done for the benefit of the entire team.
Miss your block and a guys career is over!
What the coaches and G.M. tell you is the way it is.
You know that when you sign a contract to play on the team.
Maybe we don't need coaches,just let the players run things.
Maybe it's just some disgruntled guy that won't get his bonus for production.
I am disappointed in Drew for publishing this crap(unnamed sources)
If you have to, wait until the season is over, but this is the worst time to print this unsubstanciated B.S.
I am not happy about this tabloid type journalism and the timing is brutal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you completely, Grover.

I'm disappointed Drew reported this stuff... an unnamed source says ... that he is concerned... that x and y were shipped out... at least in part....

Yikes.

Unlike the original poster, I am not curious at all what Bruce and Mann may have to say about their time in Hamilton, at season's end or at any other time. In fact, I couldn't care less.

Professionals do their job. Whiners and complainers and gossips?...They whine and complain and gossip.

And we all know what Bob Young does to reporters who use “unnamed sources”

The title of this thread is not accurate. That anonymous source was said to be concerned that players were shipped out (at least in part) because they were outspoken. That source did not actually say that was the reason those players are now ex-Cats.

Here is the quote from that article, in which Drew wrote about use of anonymous sources:

The use of anonymous sources is always tricky. As with most things in journalism, the guidelines are fuzzy at best but these are the standards that I use:
  • does the source have a legitimately good reason for wanting anonymity? The threat of physical harm or death would obviously qualify but so could potential loss of income or negative career impact.

In this case, the source was concerned that other players that had been outspoken – Maurice Mann and Arland Bruce in particular – had been shipped out, at least in in part, because of their willingness to speak their mind. The player felt that they could face repercussions internally for speaking out publicly. The question isn't whether this is true, but whether that fear is legitimately held.

[url=http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2011/11/the-use-of-anonymous-sources-in-ticats-coverage.html]http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2011/ ... erage.html[/url]

Yup. Big difference.

I don't buy it for one second.
Do you read in papers of anonymous sources in anywhere but tabloid rags?
The answer is no because it is not justified journalism IMHO.
I love reading Drew's column, but again I am shocked and disappointed by this.

And now a reader is acusing Stala of this trash.
Who is next to be the anonymous Ti-Cat?

I didn't mean for the title to be misleading. My point of view is that the player was reluctant to speak publicly based on his knowledge that other players have been released for doing so (I'm guessing they would have spoken up to the coach or GM as we hadnt heard anything in the media until their release), which would be news to us because we dont know the in depth story to their trades. I'm guessing your point of view is that the player was only speculating the other players were released for speaking up?

I'm not "accusing" Stala of anything, it was only speculation due to his diminishing role on the team. It's not even an accusation, there's nothing wrong with a player voicing his opinion. If there is a problem in the locker room caused by the head coach it isn't a bad thing for the players to disagree. Whether it was Marcel's intention or not, the decision to give porter extra time has been interpreted as a "two-quarterback system" by both the media and the players themselves which is completely different than just giving the back up some playing time. It causes controversy and you have to expect players to speak up if they don't like it. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Yes the players get paid to play and listen to the coaches but they can disagree too. Look at how the riders reacted to Greg Marshall's coaching style

The thread title made it seem like it was confirmed that AB3 and Mann were traded for that reason, so I thought it had to be pointed out that that is not the case.

According to what Drew Edwards said in that article, that player did not actually have knowledge that players were traded and released because of comments like those. It may not be true that those players are off the team for that reason. The player was only concerned that players were off the team for that reason. Did that player say that any player was traded or released because of what was said?

See I took that as confirmation. I guess it can be interpreted two different ways... Or maybe I'm just missing something. Thanks for clearing that up!

Wow, not sure where to begin but I'll keep it short. This is exactly what happens in just about every business, and other sports teams, that has existed since the dawn of time. Most administrators and management like people who keep quiet and speak only when asked and to say the right company line things. Sports is no different. And if you do speak up, often most businesses find a way out the door for you. This includes The Church who silences those like Matthew Fox who write books that don't conform.

That being said, many of said companies are quite successful and there is no reason to believe the Cats can't be successful as well.

Now is some of our admin control freaks beyond the norm? No idea but that still doesn't mean an org can't have success.

Also, no problem with Drew publishing this as sometimes the truth can help bring teams or employees together. And the truth probably goes further than what Drew is saying. Again we don't read about this is xxx company making widgets, but in the world of sport and entertainment we often do. I say never every be afraid of the truth even if the truth mind be a bit difficult. And also remember life is not fair and doesn't have to be, it's what make of what you are given with, your attitude that you believe in yourself with integrity if you have integrity when others might not.

Good on anyone who speaks their mind and isn't afraid of the consequences by others of which some might not have the integrity you do. Whether that be in this case players or a reporter. From what I can see of Drew, the man is not a sh.. disturber, there is a method in the madness and I don't think he is just looking out for himself with his career here. I feel he has integrity, that is my feeling.

Edwards tries to make it sound like someone came to him with this, when it's nothing more then a drama seeking journalist asking leading questions then trying to sell it off as "a story of this magnitude". (his words)
There's been some humps this year, and there's going to be some hurt feelings and disgruntled players, it's nothing new or news, or as Edwards suggests something that will "likely to hurt my relationship with both head coach coach Marcel Bellefeuille".
It might hurt his relationship with the team for sure but not because he won't give up his imaginary friend, more because of the inflammatory nature and intent of the story. As the Specs beat reporter for the team it's hard not to read him if you want the news but this kind of 'reporting' will get doors closed around the team pretty quick.
We should be focusing on what's coming and not the little kid games from some self centered (real or imaginary) player who thinks he's not being used right or often enough.
This team has zero cohesion, it's not a team at all, it's a group of individuals pursuing personal agendas, and no where near strong enough to group together against people that inject dissent like this. At one point I really enjoyed reading Edwards but with the type of journalism that seems to want to bring himself into the story it gets less and less about football and more and more like the story of Drew and his adventure as a sports reporter. I'm not saying there isn't some truth to a 'poor poor me' story just that it's a given, someone on a team will try to manipulate the media to sway things to a more favorable role, or situation that brings them more into the fans and medias spotlight.

You want some drama Drew? Go ask Kevin Glenn why he celebrated on the sideline the first day Porter was pulled? Everyone in the world knew that one more pic, fumbles, sac, or blown play and Porter would be pulled as a starter and Glenn given the new role. The day, and moment it happened, Kevin Glenn laughed, clapped his hands and ran for a ball to warm up. Ask him why he laughed and high fived a teammate? Then ask him if he feels thats what a leader does? If there's dissent in that locker room, (and there might be, I just don't think it's worth printing) then it's there because that's the example our starting QB sets for his team. Finger pointing on camera, laughing at a a teammates failure, and bringing a 'me first' attitude to that locker room are NOT things strong team leaders do. Ask him to define the term 'team leader' and watch him list a bunch of qualities that he doesn't have. I'll be very happy when Glenn is gone even if he won the cup this year.

3 years with zero progress, team swapping players in and out like a CIS college program. Drew is covering what everyone is talking about and players are talking to him. You can't blame them either.Three years of swapping them like pieces of meat and no results maybe they are tired of being meat shields.

Although an all-star, AB3 has a reputation for getting under coaches/management's skin. Mann hasn't done anything in this league to justify public rebuke of his team. We miss AB3 and I wish things didn't work out the way they did. However, our team's issues right now are greater than one receiver.

Sorry, but what some random person who doesn't have the guts to show his face and say who he is says holds no water with me. Some of these guys need to grow up and be professional and do their job and this would not be an issue. I don't think there is anyone who is beyond reproach in the poor play department this year so worry about getting the job done and stop whining about it. I'm not surprised Drew reported this. It's his job. It just isnt' much of a story with no names attached as far as I'm concerned. For all we know it is Jimenez showing his displeasure with being sat.

I tend to agree with Banshee. how many times can Bellefeuille say that Glenn is the starting QB and that Porter is the backup, and that the last 3 (meaningless) games will be used to prepare for the playoffs, by evaluating and resting talent

I chalk these comments up to frustration shown after that poor performance in Saskatchewan. That`s to be expected.

You want some drama Drew? Go ask Kevin Glenn why he celebrated on the sideline the first day Porter was pulled? Everyone in the world knew that one more pic, fumbles, sac, or blown play and Porter would be pulled as a starter and Glenn given the new role. The day, and moment it happened, Kevin Glenn laughed, clapped his hands and ran for a ball to warm up. Ask him why he laughed and high fived a teammate? Then ask him if he feels thats what a leader does? If there's dissent in that locker room, (and there might be, I just don't think it's worth printing) then it's there because that's the example our starting QB sets for his team. Finger pointing on camera, laughing at a a teammates failure, and bringing a 'me first' attitude to that locker room are NOT things strong team leaders do. Ask him to define the term 'team leader' and watch him list a bunch of qualities that he doesn't have. I'll be very happy when Glenn is gone even if he won the cup this year.
I find this difficult to believe, as Glenn and Porter were seen on camera just prior to the Lions game giving each other a supportive hug right before Porter went on the field to start the game.

Not saying that this is not true. It may very well have happened as you describe.
But why would MB put up with this?

Even Barker tossed Lemon for his subversive attitude towards teammates.

Mann got traded because we desperately needed DB help and had an abundance of receivers and Mann got us Dee Webb.
I am truly hoping that Webb will be a keeper.(value for value trade)
IMHO Obie did AB111 a big favour trading Bruce for a 3rd pick.
It was obvious that the Cats were going younger and taller at receiver and at AB111's pay scale he was not going to be resigned for next season.
He was on his last year of his contract.
Obie could have cut him before labour day and not had to pay him at all.
He got traded to a great situation in B.C. to turn that team around(which seems to be AB111's forte) and show his new team what he can bring to a receiving corps and play for an extension on his $150K contract.
These players sign a contract, if they are not happy with their situation, then when their contract expires they can try and sign with another team until then, they should honour their contract and as Torterella said "SHUT UP".