Ti-Cats want to build $2-million electronic highway sign

Andrew DreschelVerified account
?@AndrewDreschel
Tiger-Cats want to build a $2-million electronic highway sign on city-owned land for promoting team & #HamOnt. See my Wed.@TheSpec column.

Great idea, great location. Will make advertising revenue for the city and team every year. Long overdue concept. Unless they are on crack, city council should approve of this unanimously.

We'll soon see if city councillors are Rob Ford wannabes. Hopefully they don't screw this up. Wait, Fast Freddie is not there, so we should be okay. :wink:

[url=http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/4517002-dreschel-ticats-propose-giant-2m-sign/]http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/45 ... t-2m-sign/[/url]

... a direct link to the story.

I'm sure Brad Clark will be opposed to this because that is what he does. I was hoping he'd run in the provincial election so that we could kick his behind out the door, again.

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

If what's being reported is true, sounds like a great idea!

The onyy thing that nag's at me is, why locate the sign west of the Red Hill Valley Parkway split? Won't it miss "half" the westbound traffic that is being split off? ...And miss the other half of traffic coming from the opposite direction as they merge onto the QEW Niagara/Buffalo bound?

Wouldn't it be better located just east of the RHVP split to get ALL the traffic?

During the debate over the Bayfront location, I suggested placing several signs and or neon billboards at various highway locations.

Just saying :wink:

It's a good idea, the electronic highway sign could be two sided and high up so both directions could see it.
It should also be advertising events (if any) at THF like rock concerts etc
There is a big one next to the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa close to the 417 highway, it mainly advertises who is playing there.

Build it and they will come. :cowboy:

here is the proposed sign

The cost is north of $3 million.

It's 65 feet tall (19.8 metres).

It's 75 feet wide (22.8 metres).

It has two 14-by-48-foot (4.2-by-14.6-metre) LED screens.

[url=http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/4593467-dreschel-ticats-seek-ok-for-monster-sign/]http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/45 ... ster-sign/[/url]

Why not Pump 2 million into finding a proper home for the CFL hall of fame 2 million on a fri ken sign :thdn:

Give me a break!! How often have you been there to support it. They only get a few thousand visitors per year. Why should the Cats and the city put money towards the HOF if the CFL itself won't contribute more? The sign will generate a profit which will not only benefit the Cats but the city hense all taxpayers.
Why is it there are so many whiners on this board. It is truly pathetic.

By some of your posts on here , it is my opinion, that you really do struggle at times, to see the bigger picture .....in this case , the big sign has absolutely nothing to do with the HOF.
It has everything to do with creating revenue for The City (which it, will not cost a cent) and The Cats.

Here are some facts about the CFHoF

[b]Over the past five years, attendance has never topped 1,600.
Last year, it averaged 2.9 visitors a day.

At $10 a ticket for adults, that's not going to pay many bills, even though the place operates rent free as it has since 1968. Combine that with the recent loss of a five-figure sponsor and you can see why it's teetering.

Which means it's time to send it on its way and let it settle in a place where locals would treasure it and breathe life into the history of the game once again.

Hello Regina, interested in a hall of fame?[/b]

[b]Fact is, we've tried it here and it hasn't worked. So it's time to move it and let it flourish somewhere else.

"It can't survive under the current situation, " DeNobile admits. "It just can't."[/b]

[b]No, we never want to see a business leave town. But keeping it here, where it remains largely invisible, makes no sense.

The beautiful history of the game needs to be seen to be appreciated.
The great players who've built it deserve that.[/b]

Thanks for those numbers Grover. Seeing those I completely agree with you. Time for the HOF to go somewhere else where it has a chance to survive.

Part of me wishes someone could transport the HAAA grounds building into a new park by Tim Horton's Field and build a new hall directly behind it. The much larger part of me would never want to see that building moved given the history and knows that the HAAA grounds is a poor site for a Hall of Fame location.

Because its not the Ticats responibility to find a home for the HOF. The Ticats proposed this sign from what I understand at their own cost. The city only has to approve the zoning variance and help with the OMB, then they will see some of the profits from the advertizing. For once, something that won't cost taxpayers a dime and yet people whine about something else.

Waldorfian wrote: Because its not the Ticats responibility to find a home for the HOF. The Ticats proposed this sign from what I understand at their own cost. The city only has to approve the zoning variance and help with the OMB, then they will see some of the profits from the advertizing. For once, something that won't cost taxpayers a dime and yet people whine about something else.
Well said. :thup: Sometimes I actually think some people in Hamilton are embarrased or maybe jealous is the better word, if the TigerCats are involved with anything to do with city building. :roll: