Ti-Cats to Announce New Ownership Structure

I actually think this more structured CFL and CPL ownership now actually makes even more sense.

1 Like

What will be interesting is how the 3 Canadian MLS teams "deal", if this is the right word with the CPL should the CPL become very popular in Canada. Don't know, I'm not a soccer guy but I do appreciate the growing aspect of the game in Canada. Probably the two leagues will compliment each other as soccer is played in Canada. Soccer rules are basically the same regardless of league so it allows for all sorts of friendlies, Canadian championships and one-offs sort of thing I guess without many logistical factors getting in the way. A nice aspect of soccer I will say and bodes well for the sport as it continues to grow in North America.

I wonder if the CFL would even want XFL teams - why not just go south on their own? add five teams in the northern states at $26 million CDN -$20 million USD a team for expansion fees - that is $100 million USD - that type of money helps float a lot of boats -
I wonder if that isn't the real reason the CFL broke off the talks - During the talks the CFL figured out they didn't need the XFL to have teams in the USA - put teams in the states that border Canada and don't go to Vegas or let the Glieberman family be involved - This way the CFL pockets the expansion money - and gets a modest USA TV deal - The CFL doesn't need NFL money they just need a slice of the TV market in the States -

3 Likes

I like your idea and believe the northern states is the way to go as well. I just don’t think $20 million for an expansion franchise is anywhere near realistic and don’t think any existing franchise is worth anywhere near that value. I would hate to go in front of Kevin O’Leary on Dragon’s Den or Shark Tank with that valuation.

I don’t really know what an existing franchise is worth. What did the guy in BC just pay? I’m thinking off the top of my head $5-10 million tops. Maybe I’m out to lunch.

2 Likes

A bit of a reflection through history on the CFL in the U.S. anyone interested. Lessons to be learned?

Honestly I pulled that number out of thin air sort of - A USL Championship (soccer) expansion fee is $12 million USD - I threw in some fluff and got a magic number of $20 Million USD -

1 Like

Yeah, as did I. I would be curious to know more about what a modern franchise might be worth. I don’t know if the number for the BC purchase is public.

2 Likes

Yes. No expansion to the US until all 9 Canadian teams are healthy and there's a 10th team somewhere in Canada.

3 Likes

Lessons to be learned - 1) no Gliebermans - 2) don't go to the Deep South 3) Stay close to Ontario in locations like Michigan, Rochester NY or Chicago - Chicago was one of the Original Six as was Detroit 4) add 3 teams and stop for two years 5) every coach and GM in the Expansion teams needs a CFL coaching license - Like you need to have a coaching license to coach soccer in Europe -

I really think that just because CFL expansion to the states didn't work 30 years ago doesn't mean it can't work today - I think that with online streaming the business model has shifted - Cable TV is dying and it is rumored that Disney is going to spin off ESPN - streaming services and broadcasters need linear content like sports - CFL is a stable league - get up to 12 teams - 6 games a week total - which gives you three games with American teams most weeks - 3 games with American Teams for the American side of the market - unless two of the American teams are playing each other - then you have two - Hopefully the American teams all don't suck at the same time - but with 18 week season you would have enough content - Chicago, Detroit and Grand Rapids Michigan - no one goes broke flying to Las Vegas or San Antonio - Riders fans can make the 39 hour round trip drive to Chicago and back and still make it to work on Monday Morning -

2 Likes

Agree it could work in today's much different environment although MLSE doesn't see this, CFL expansion into the US, as the end result they desire which as others have mentioned could very well be that elusive NFL dream.

1 Like

Maybe MLSE gets an NFL team to Toronto but it that happens by expansion you would need another 3 teams to go with the GTA team - I can't see the NFL going to 34 teams without having a plan that balances the divisions out a little better at maybe 36 teams-

The NFL needs to do right with San Diego, Oakland at some point.

They don't owe them interms of a franchise but they do need to get stuff in order before they anger more fans if aren't already.

2 Likes

3down FB in the states may work if you market towards the younger crowd as a league of their own, instead of the league their grandfathers watch.lol Who knows?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go south unless we had an October Grey Cup. Either that or always have home games in the states on Friday nights after Labour Day. Front end home games for the first part of the season. For example 2 home 1 away pattern for the first half and then 1 home 2 away for the second half. Put your bye weeks in September and October.

1 Like

How about expanding to a 10th franchise before even thinking about the US.

2 Likes

I think you check the states as your U.S. 10th team along with Canadian cities. There's a huge problem with getting stadiums built in Canada. Also I would love to have a team in either Victoria, London or Quebec City (all three would be nice as well) but the CFL has refused to expand in these places so far (and it's been since the 50's) The CFL teams do not like to share their markets. If a city like Grand Rapids was willing to build a stadium to be our tenth team I would not say no. The good news for you is that I'm not in charge of anything CFL related so you can breathe a sigh of relief.

1 Like

I think you are kinda right. Also the CFL probably figured out that the XFL might not make it anyway. That plus potentially raising the wrath of the NFL and changing our rules made the juice not worth the squeeze. I think the CFL serves a purpose to the NFL of having a league of pros to add to the NFL that they don’t have to run like a proper farm system and it doesn’t compete directly against them ….. the XFL would. I think the NFL would even be ok with Canadian teams in smaller border cities as long as it doesn’t compete and keeps the CFL schedule ans they don’t try to get a national tv deal. As far as the NFL coming to Toronto they firstly don’t want to kill the CFL (as mentioned above, it’s served a purpose for the NFL) secondly there is no NFL stadium in Toronto and no one is going to build it. Rogers is going to renovate the dome for baseball as there was no partners or business case to try and build a new stadium

1 Like

Neither am I :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Here's the rub though and where the CFL is missing out IMHO or some sort of redefined CFL. Grand Rapids is actually looking at building a football (soccer) stadium for a soccer stadium in the 8,000 range. The CFL can't or won't consider this type of stadium regardless of actually how nice and current such a stadium could be I guess because of finances, whether this be in the U.S. or Canada. Soccer teams are much less expensive to operate with less equipment and less players per team. This is going to be a problem for the CFL as larger stadiums like a THF are difficult to come by. Soccer is getting this right and of course their player base at the amateur level is huge compared with gridiron. Soccer has more leagues for cities to choose from. It's the future for football, well soccer as most call it, in N.A. hands-down IMHO for cities wanting to get into pro sports looking at a stadium in the 10,000 seat range, give or take.

"Grand Action 2.0, whose members include Carol Van Andel and Dick DeVos, is working to develop an ownership group to bring a United Soccer League (USL) Championship-level team to Grand Rapids. Once the ownership group is formed, which could take six months to a year, the focus would shift to finding a site to build — and how to finance — a roughly 7,500-seat stadium."

And I see London, Ont. is looking at the Canadian Premier League for a team to play out of perhaps Western's stadium. Far less expensive than going after a CFL team.
https://twitter.com/londoncanpl

It's difficult but not impossible to find a proper stadium. I already made the hard to get Canada to build a stadium point earlier so I'm in agreement there.