Ti Cats, Argos, CFL in the Niagara Region

Probably a dumb question, but why doesn't the TI Cats, Argos and the CFL in general do any type of advertising in the Niagara Falls area? There are a lot of NFL, NCAA and yes non-Canadian CFL fans that spend time in the Niagara area especially during the Summer that would drive to Hamilton or Toronto to watch a CFL game, IF they knew about the schedule, Teams, restaurants, hotels, etc in the area.
There are brochures for everything thing else, even the drive along the Canal and Locks, nothing about the CFL and how close it is.
This where my wife and I were spending time last year when we were told of an Argo game and went, the end result is you have to put up with me on this Forum.
Appreciate your comments.

The TiCats have done a lot of functions in St Catharines over the years.

from 2011

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats-taking-practice-to-st-catharines]http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats ... catharines[/url]

from 2012

[url=http://ticats.ca/article/ticats-heading-to-st-catharines-this-saturday]http://ticats.ca/article/ticats-heading ... s-saturday[/url]

Well, challenger99, I grew up in the Niagara Region and since it's close proximity to the U.S. border, there are only two things sports fans over there are interested in.....the Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres. Try talking about the CFL and they look at you like you're an alien from another planet or something. It's a shame really because they don't know what they're missing.

I think the cats long term plan is to try and regionalize the team to include niagara, Kitchener/wAterloo and London

But that’s long term, and the cfl has a ways to come in the media still.

True but they do that for most things you talk about.

Shamefully… this is very true. :cry:

Coffee. Out. Of. My. Nose.

Thanks for the responses. I don't understand the apparent lack of interest in the area, 50 miles/1 hour drive to Hamilton, CFL Professional Football, now a new stadium.
Maybe the TiCats can have a Niagara Day for one of the home games and have a local Niagara High School band play "O Canada". Advertise in the Falls area and get some of football fans tourist money!

Same reason there is no interest in T.O. If its not NFL its not good enough. Its sad but true

That is sad, the CFL plays great professional football. Watch the players, they are the game, not the field or rules.

CFL Advertising has always sucked…
It’s the CFL’s responsibility to advertise don’t blame the people who have no control of it…
Put the blame where it belongs

From my understanding, there has always been several factors that conspired against the Niagara region and it's support for the CFL. Now that said, I know several people in the region who are Ti-Cat fans, but for the most part as a whole, the CFL is under the radar. Here are some of the reasons why.

Hamilton's Bad Reputation - For years, and even to this day, Hamilton has had an undeserved reputation as a smog filled, crime ridden hell hole, despite TO boasting a much higher crime rate and a many more smog days. This is mainly due to the presence of the Steel Mills (that actually produce less smoke then traffic does in the city) and the state of the downtown core in the 80's and 90's. Now with Stelco on seemingly permanent idle, and the core reviving itself with James St. N and various new condo projects being built, some of this stigma can be shed.

Presence of the Buffalo - The Bills and the Ti-Cats are very close to each other, to such and extent it has long been considered a barrier to Hamilton's NHL hopes. The allure of cheap shopping in the States after 48 hours coupled with a Bills game is hard to resist.

Performance of the Ti-Cats - Lets all be honest, the Ti-Cats until recently have stunk. After 1999 the franchise was allergic to winning for nearly a decade. Winning puts bodies in seats, it's usually how it is. Driving a little under an hour (sometimes in rush hour traffic) to see your team lose sucks.

I remember many years ago, when I lived in St. Catharines, the Leafs wanted to put a farm team there and the Sabres tried to block it. So, a group within the city created these button that said "We hate New York...especially Buffalo". From that, a movement swelled within the region and the American team eventually backed off their protest.

Tiger cats used to conduct their training camps at Brock University there and would distribute media stuff to the local outlets there to generate interest and coverage.The Sports Directors of the local radio stations would show.

I think the problem here is geography and the proximity and influence of those Buffalo teams.

The other problem is that Brock doesn't have a CIS Football program. It's kinda hard for the Cats to have training camp at a far away campus with no Football program when you have a closer campus with a world renowned sports medicine program and a top 3 if not the best university Football programs in the province.

What's T.O? :? What's the NFL?

I live in the Hudson Valley of New York..20 miles outside of New York City...I love Canadian Football!!

I live in the Hudson Valley of New York..20 miles outside of New York City...I love Canadian Football!!

Billy, the more you watch, the more you understand the rules, the players, coaches and CFL Fans the more you will love the game!
To really enjoy the games DO NOT compare CFL Professional Football with the NFL or NCAA and if you get the chance go see a CFL game in person, it's great!