Ti-Cats are having a looking at Buck Pierce

Porter is the guy, they said that from day one and are still saying so.He’s tall and has a gun like Ricky Ray and can take off and scramble like Printer’s or Burris.He just need’s to get the mental part of the game down.When to throw, where to throw, when to throw it away, when to call an audible, etc.

The only QB I would want from BC is Travis Lulay.
He's young and has great potential. But BC would be nuts to let him go.
Buck Pierce would do a great job but I just don't think he can afford to get hurt any more.

Sorry But Rather have Zack Champion then Lulay.
I feel all of Current QB are Roster are upgrade over the two about…
Even porter…

Tom:

I'm having serious doubts about Porter. He looked good for a while but I'm not sure he has that "never say die" quality. He looked to have a real lack of confidence at times last year.
I hope the off-season has helped him regain some bravado but there is still a question mark.
15_championships wrote :
"He ( Porter)just need's to get the mental part of the game down.When to throw, where to throw, when to throw it away, when to call an audible, etc. "

I dunno. This is all basic stuff that he likely got from coach Gibson last year. He had several games where he seemed to be doing this stuff correctly..until that fateful play. I'm still not sure that all his fault though.
I would expect there are lots of potential QB's with all of Porters abilities.....so maybe Obie wants Matt Grothe at training camp to evaluate against Porter.
And there is still Trafalis. I would like to see him get more playing time. Based on what I have seen from him during practices, I see lots of potential there.
I am also still not sure about Glenn as a long term starter. I watched him in Winnipeg a lot also. I see consistentcy problems and am am wondering if we were lucky enough to have seen the best of him late last season.
So maybe that's why Buck Pierce is of interest...he would provide instant experience if Glenn falters. For the long term though we still need a potential starter as #3. Maybe Obie does not see that yet in Porter or Trafalis.

QP is a backup at best. He had the starter’s job handed to him at training camp last year based on nothing he’d done to that point to warrant it and didn’t do much with it. Too often he looked like he was lost out there. Tarfalis? Maybe but we haven’t seen enough of him yet. Glenn goes to camp as #1 based on his strong performance in 2009. The backups are toss ups and Pearce would be a welcome addition to the mix.

An Argo-Cat fan

I chalk this up to being a young QB in the CFL. He came from the US, and the American game is different from the Canadian game. It takes a while for everything to click. I say give him time. I see in him all the tools to be a top flight QB. I look at him and I see a young Matt Dunnigan.

I won’t disagree with you here. I think Tafralis could be a really good QB. He also seems to have all the intangibles. I doubt he’ll ever get his chance here. Unless the Cats completely collapse in 2010, he will see the field only in short-yardage situations, just like in 2009.

I will not disagree with you entirely on this point. Glenn has been inconsistent throughout most of his tenure in the CFL, but he was an MOP finalist in 2007, the same year he led the Bombers to the Grey Cup birth. If he didn’t get hurt in the East Final he may have led the Bombers to a championship. I think, at 30 years old, he still has a lot of good football left in him. IMO, after what he did late last season he has earned the right to prove whether he is the guy that can lead us back to the top or not.

Have we not learned our lesson bringing in injury prone cast-offs? Why sign a backup who is one hit away from the IR? I'd much rather see some new names brought in to develop as replacements for our top two now.

The only risk the team runs with Pierce is relying on him as a complete game starter for extended periods. Ham. is not in that situation and shouldnt be anytime soon. But having his skill and experience as a part of the QB mix in a situational capacity is worth at least exploring.

Having three QBs that can win a game instead of two and a question mark is better.

Doubtfull Obie is holding his breath or pursuing him all that agressively since Pierce has been free and available for some time now.

The risk is wasting a roster spot, snaps, and development time. If the TiCats were a serious threat to win the Grey Cup, then bringing in a proven veteran with injury problems for the third roster spot is a good idea. As that's not the case this year then Buck Pierce is a waste to the detriment of future plans.

They are presently developing a QB. His name is Quinton Porter.

Does anyone seriously think the team would quit on Porter now to make Pierce the number two?

Pirece wouldnt get serious playing time until Porter has proven he cant take over.

zontar wrote: "Does anyone seriously think the team would quit on Porter now to make Pierce the number two?"

Zontar: Yeah. Me.
I think Porter has a few attitude problems and a confidence problem. At this stage of his career he needs swagger and lots of it. I also think some of his comments after "that fateful play" did not go down too well with Marcel or Obie. So I would not be surprised if they are more than willing to trade him.
Buck Pierce, on the other hand, is a gunslinger. If he gets hurt it's because he is trying too hard.
I have been a big Porter supporter in the past but he is just not progressing the way he should.
I'll take Pierce over Porter right now...but if he does not get signed, I hope Porter can get his groove back and prove that he can do it. He has the skills.

The starter should already be developed - not developing. The mistake was making Porter the starter last year. He should have been eased into the role. What would Pierce be - third string? That's where the next guy is supposed to be developing unless you're a bonafide contender who can afford to trade the development potential of that roster spot on a veteran 'just in case'.

Porter lost his swagger because impatient fools around here keep dumping on the guy and wanna run him outta town.That'd make me feel great too :roll:

I’m guessing these are the same people who wanted Danny Mac gone for Marcus Brady… and Jason Maas for Timmy Chang… and Casey Printers for Richie Williams… and, well I think my point is clear. Ti-Cats fans are among the most impatient in the CFL. We were spoiled by Danny Mac. He came in and guided us to two Grey Cup games in his first two years. That’s an aberration, not the norm.

I have said it more than once, look at the great CFL QBs, they ALL take time to develop. Not one season or two or even three, but sometimes five or more. It takes time; no one is great after a year and a half behind centre.

Look where quick fixes got us in the past. Did Brady or Maas or Chang or Printers or Williams work? NO! Give the kid some time. We have Glenn who can lead us, we have Porter behind him and Tafralis behind both of them. We do not need Buck Pierce.

Then what did you think when his contract was extended ?

See Glenn, Kevin. No. 5

The last thing this team needs to do is forfeit the development of a future quarterback (or the development of future quarterbackS) for a quick fix. As much as I liked Buck Pierce....I don't think the Cats need him.

Bombers Buck watch begins after early delay

Toronto Sun April 3, 2010 11:40pm

It appears the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have done a flip-flop
in their opinion on free agent quarterback Buck Pierce.

Mere weeks after head coach Paul LaPolice ruled out signing Pierce,

reports indicate the Bombers are very much interested in
the talented, but injury-prone, former starter for the B.C. Lions.

...Pierce’s passer efficiency rating of 93.6 is ..

he’s never completed less than 60% of his passes in a season.

He’s also seen as a respected team leader, on and off the field.

...B.C. head coach/GM Wally Buono says other teams
are probably torn on what to do about Pierce.

“If I was another general manager … I would be losing some sleep
over that,? Buono told reporters in Vancouver on Thursday.

“Because that would not be an easy decision.

Huh? So you’re saying that Pierce shouldn’t “try so hard” because he might get hurt?

^^^ being reckless with his body is trying too hard.

I don't think he's that great anyway, both him and Jackson are ridiculously overated, both cant read defences and would be useless without Geroy to bail them out. I've seen many plays where Pierce misses wideopen receivers due to poor reads.

I agree I have not seen much from QP to say he will be a good back-up this year either. If Glenn goes down with a long term injury I personally do not think QP is the guy to pull off consectuive wins let a lone a win. Another team may sign him, but my personal feeling is he will be like Richie Williams and off into the sunset.