Three players fined after Week 1 action

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced three fines on Wednesday following Week 1 action.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/15/three-players-fined-after-week-1-action/

Simoni Lawrence is a smooth-takin', hard-hitting footballer and he has been around the league long enough to let up, especially when the ugly hit is on an essential worker such as a quarterback! Simoni, bro gave a key player a break, in the CFL we are all family. :tiger: :tiger: :tiger: :notes: :postal_horn:

2 Likes

Oh lord cue the army of oskee-whiners going off about how it wasn't a high hit or that he was leading with his shoulder or any other excuse. I feel like if the league wants to take player safety seriously that repeat offenders need to have the penalties become greater over time. First few offenses are fines, after that its game suspensions, and then season suspensions.

2 Likes

Down on the field the only family you have wears your colours. It’s war on a small scale. Simoni needs to rethink his game, he’s falling off that edge he plays on too much. I like him but…

1 Like

Well said. :+1:

1 Like

Too many late hits on vulnerable players… he’s definitely feeling he’s losing his edge and is grasping

More like too many interpreted late hits that get called only because of who he is .

1 Like

So there’s some disagreement on this thread regarding Simoni’s fine. Let’s have a poll!

• Are you fine with the fine?
  • Are you not fine with the fine?
  • Should the fine be finier?
0 voters
3 Likes

QBs should be hit more, not adored.

1 Like

You should be on Sunrise Semester Tex. :smile:

3 Likes

In previous seasons where many teams had QBs injured the offence completely dries up. The games end up quite boring when there are two teams facing off with their backup QBs.

That’s not what the league needs right now.

You bet.

2 Likes

I love a good sack or hit on a QB but SL has multiple times gone in for a big hit after a player was already vulnerable or clearly wrapped up. If he ends someone’s career because of one of these hits then what? Just another lame fine the CFL needs to crack down hard on repeat offenders.

1 Like

So true, an ill-timed brutal hit may hurt that quarterback and tens of thousands of fans put into a painful stupor. :grimacing:

1 Like

I couldn’t honestly see if he hit with his helmet or shoulder…it was a hit that he shouldn’t have done for as Fajardo was on his way down and SL drops his helmet (yes he 100% dropped his helmet as he went in for the hit and not his shoulder) and went in to aggressively hit a prone player. Everyone who “isn’t defending SL” seems to have some theory why this time it wasn’t bad. Like I said over the past few years he has lost some of his edge and is trying to make up for it by being overly aggressive and that is going to result in dirty hits and players who are injured. I love aggressive defense and will always respect another team other than the one I cheer for if they are making some great defensive plays…but that wasn’t a great defensive play it was a cheap shot that could have been an injury (as SL has done to other players). The next “he was just playing up to the line” hit the SL makes could end a players career or permanently injure him but hey lets keep “not defending” SL right?

1 Like

The problem here is that the consequences for intent to injure are too soft. The CFL desperately needs to protect talent on every team. I hate seeing a good player go down from any team, it takes away from the whole league. We already have Powell and Stanback out (not they they were injured by dangerous play, but still, we won't get to see them this season). The NFL has this more under control by far. Think Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning... Quarterbacks that play into their 40s, relatively injury-free. Players still sack Brady, but it's not the same.

2 Likes

SL is the dirtiest player in the CFL and needs to be suspended for 2 games. The clown is clearly trying to end players careers.

Get suspended for what exactly ? Because you and everybody else has SL syndrome ? Because Suitor says so ? Because you basically don’t like him ?Because the media has told you not to like him ? As for him trying to end players careers he clearly isn’t very good at this as he hasn’t ended one in his entire career .

What he has been though is a multi time All Pro at his position as well as a multi time finalist for the Defensive Player Award . He has also racked up over 6oo tackles in his career and has consistently been one of the best at his position in this league for the past 9 years .

Oh and before I forget…welcome to our community . :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don't believe its so much that the league and fans are against hits on QB's, but rather, just taking away the dangerous hits targeting the head, although it appears that people like Tex are the exception. Perhaps he may have taken one too many hits to the melon