Thoughts on the BC game

Ten random thoughts:

1. That's about as close as it gets, barring OT. Not only was the game decided by 1 point, but each of the four quarters were decided by 1 point or less.

2. Total margin of victory in the three wins under Coach Jones: 7 points combined. They don't like to let us relax, do they. All four games decided in the final minute.

3. Defence played well, especially when you consider that the only TD they allowed all game was after the short kickoff attempt that allowed BC to start in our end. Lots of bending, but very little breaking. Those were some intense blitz packages.

4. VP Austin recruited a great RB named Green for training camp. Unfortunately HC Austin didn't see it that way, and cut the guy. Thankfully VP Austin had the sense to bring him back when CJ went down.

5. Can't remember the last time a Ticats RB had a rushing average above 10 yards, on 10 or more carries. But I'll bet his first name was Jesse.

6. Arguably Masoli's best passing game of the season so far. First time above 60% completion rate (actually 66%), first time with multiple TD passes, and no interceptions. Went cold for a bit, and couldn't connect with Tasker in the first half, but heated up again at the right time.Moved the ball downfield when he absolutely had to, with great help from Tasker on that final clutch reception.

7. I thought Buono made great use of his challenge flag, despite what Suitor kept saying. Even though the command centre probably got it wrong (surprise!), it wiped out a 25 yard gain, forced us to punt, and probably saved a field goal. Conversely, Jones' follow-up challenge seemed like an emotional response rather than a strategic move. Regardless, that was a great, Tony Champion-like catch by Banks!

1. Other than the challenges, it seemed like the referees' calls went mostly in our favour. Especially the unusual decision to put a second back on the clock at the end of the first half. Only four penalties against the Cats.
  1. All kickers miss sometimes, but Castillo showed great poise in getting past that and making the final three kicks, two of which were from 50+ yards.

2. Heart-stopping final play. That pass and run went for 58 yards! We were one penalty away from BC having another play inside our 30-yard line.

5) Can't remember the last time a Ticats RB had a rushing average above 10 yards, on 10 or more carries. But I'll bet his first name was Jesse.
https://i0.wp.com/3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/giphy-downsized-large-4.gif?resize=384%2C212
6) Arguably Masoli's best passing game of the season so far. First time above 60% completion rate (actually 66%), first time with multiple TD passes, and no interceptions. Went cold for a bit, and couldn't connect with Tasker in the first half, but heated up again at the right time. Moved the ball downfield when he absolutely had to, with great help from Tasker on that final clutch reception.
3rd and 6 with the game on the line, Tasker with the clutch catch of the game! :)

https://i0.wp.com/3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/giphy-downsized-large-5.gif?resize=384%2C217

7) I thought Buono made great use of his challenge flag, despite what Suitor kept saying. Even though the command centre probably got it wrong (surprise!), it wiped out a 25 yard gain, forced us to punt, and probably saved a field goal. Conversely, Jones' follow-up challenge seemed like an emotional response rather than a strategic move. Regardless, that was a great, Tony Champion-like catch by Banks!
Too bad the Control Center gets 50% of their calls wrong!

https://i2.wp.com/3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/giphy-21.gif?resize=480%2C264

8. Other than the challenges, it seemed like the referees' calls went mostly in our favour. Especially the unusual decision to put a second back on the clock at the end of the first half. Only four penalties against the Cats.
The 1 second added on the play clock at the half was added by the Control Center.

Good thing they still get 50% of their calls right. :o

9) All kickers miss sometimes, but Castillo showed great poise in getting past that and making the final three kicks, two of which were from 50+ yards.
https://i0.wp.com/3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/giphy-22.gif?resize=480%2C266

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/23/west-coast-state-mind-ticats-lions-24-23/

I only have 1 thought.

The D is the difference in this team. The way they've played under Lolley is what started this improvement. The O is still choppy and ugly at times but the D doesn't get enough credit for this turnaround.

Thank God Jeremiah Johnson doesn’t know about the 1 point for a kick outta the end zone on that last play, don’t know about his leg but he had a good head of steam and a lot of room to kick.

1. Yep, what a difference Phil Lolley has made with this defence !!

As most knowledgeable fans knew , Austin appointing Rheinbold as our DC was another major
mistake by Austin !! ::slight_smile:

t.co/LMlzxbqjvjfrom Drew Edwards’sTweet
The blown call

That Tony Champion like catch was disallowed that says it all bottom line thanks for The ONE SECOND Zebras

8)That was another joke call by the inept review command center ::slight_smile:

Everyone on the TSN panel said it was definitely a catch, and a beautiful one at that !!

For me the command centre's interpretations have been the biggest problem with the coaches challenge. It is not that the coaches use it, it is that the command centre is so erratic on the application. I sometimes feel that it depends on the reputation of the coach making the challlenge, sort of a "Gee, Coach X is making a challenge, and he is an elite coach. Since we can't really be sure from the replay, he must be right". Of course, I am being cyncial, and a homer, but still ....

I wouldn't say you're a homer; I'd say you are right. Even anti Cat Jock slimy said it was a catch.

That review system has to be overhauled, but how.

One play I was delighted ;Dto see:
3rd play in the Cats' second offensive sequence of the game ..... the QB option, on 2nd and 1, @ the BC 39 ..... pitch out to Green .... gain of 20 yds.!
It's the perfect play for Jeremiah's skills and I don't recall seeing it employed in his previous 3 starts. I hope we'll be seeing more of it and the use of all the options it presents next week and the remainder of the season. It could have been used nicely, last game, last play.

That's actually what I was expecting on that play, the catch followed by a punt, followed by some dribble kicks into and through the end zone for a rouge to tie it up.

This game was exciting to watch especially its final moments. Castillo, despite missing a couple of FG, Castillo appeared confident with his winning last play. At this point the TiCats will likely leap into third place unless the Als manage a win this evening. It seems the TiCats have discovered the ground game with Green running very well. June Jones is adapting to the CFL while Kavis, the Als GM was never successful in a coaching position. Ti Cats now winning and playing well. The coaching change was was effective.

8)Ah yes, the good old QB option play, haven't seen it used more than a few times in the last 5
years by the TiCats.

Can still vividly remember Joe Zuger running the QB option, and at the very last second, pitching
the ball out to either Dave Fleming or Willie Bethea !!

Never saw anyone ever run that play better than those guys, and it usually went for a big gain.

Couple of thoughts.

1. If not for Tasker's catch late in 4th quarter, we are done.

2. Love it that D-line isn't sitting idley by and allowing their QB to pick our secondary apart late in game. They pass rushing more and makes their QB rush pass.

3. Castillo is ace for the bucks.

robably right. But Lumsden usually had one or two long run to bump his average. Green's longest run was 23 yards, making his 10.8 yard average even more impressive.

Was also very happy to see they didn't start rushing only three on BC's late drives.

The long drives on offence took pressure off the defence and used up the clock.
Running game took pressure off the QB and Oline. i e balanced attack, something we have not seen for a long time.
Great game, it's fun watching the cats again!

The Cats onside kick was creative and courageous . The ball travelled 10 yards plus and a Cat was there for the catch but dropped it . Congrats to the special teams on a move reminiscent of the Saints in the Super Bowl to begin the 2nd half .

It is amazing how much better the coffee tastes after a win . The sun is brighter and my chipping and putting are much better after a TiCat victory !

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

The last 'Cat to have a rushing average above 10 yards, on 10 or more carries was Chevon Walker who did it in the last game of the season against the Bombers in Winnipeg on Nov.2/13. which was also Austin's first year as Ticat head coach. Walker ran 11 times for 116 yards. The last 'Cat to rush for more than 140 yards in one game was none other than DeAndra Cobb (remember the corn cob hats!!) who ran 15 times for 166 yards on Sept.25/'10 at old Ivor Wynne in a "loss" to the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Cobb fumbled twice in that game which helped contribute to the loss. The week before he rushed for 151 yards in a close Ticat win in Vancouver.

One thing i love about Popes posts is that he could have made all of that up and I'd believe it.