This year IS different

I'm a first time poster, long time fan, been going to games since I was an infant and don't plan on ever stopping. I'm sorry if I'm breaking nettiquite by starting a new topic on my very first post. But it looks like it's standard for lots of topics to be started after a game is finished. I just wanted to get two quick related points off my chest after attending the Argos game and thinking things over....

My first point, is that we shouldn't be hitting the panic button JUST yet. We expected a lot more and were disapointed once again, sure. But this isn't 2005 or 2006. This is a rebuilt team with a lot of rookies. On top of that, its really not all that bad. Our defence is actually good, especially considering how long they are on the field for. Our special teams are good aside from taking too many penalties, which is something that can be corrected. The only thing that is really poor at this point is our offence. Why? It's pretty obvious in my opinion to anyone watching the game: receivers and the offensive line. These things, one way or another, must be improved. I'm confident that they will under Taaffe. Whether its Maas or Chang I don't actually think matters THAT much to be honest untill the rest of the offence does its part, but I'd love to see us develop Chang. He does seem to have more confidence and poise in the pocket than Maas, his passes are crisper and he's just plain fun to watch. He gives me the same feeling watching A.C. when he used to come off the bench for us in the mid-late 90s.

My second point is just in regarding the organization in general. Being an "old school" fan, I wasn't really confident in or approving of Bob's efforts on the football side of things from 2004-2006. I thought Bob was a complete hero of course for saving the team, and he did an awesome job on the marketing side of things, but we just didn't have a nice hierarchial structure management wise, and not enough experience in very key positions either (GM, coach). This year is much different though, Bob did it right, I think he's learned how things are done. We have an excellent GM in Desjardins and an excellent coach in Taaffe. These guys have been in this business a long time, and they've been very successful. Right now they are likely identifying the same problems we see, and moving to fix them as good or better than any of us ever could. Thats something, with all due respect to past GMs and coaches, that I feel we didn't have from 2004-2006.

So my overall opinion is that 2007 is not 2004-2006. Things have changed. I think Bob brought in good people that can correct the problems this time, and they have the resume to prove it. I think that we are all hurting because of seasons past, and the mantra of "same old, same old" has taken over already. But I think if you look a little deeper, it's really not same old, same old. Parts of the team are good, parts need a lot of work, and since this time Bob brought in the right people to fix the broken parts we'll have a good team soon enough.

Good first post.

And yes, the difference is that the last couple of years the team was stagnant and got worse as the season went along.
This year's team will get better.

We need more posters like this guy :slight_smile:

Well said!

Agreed. Great first post.

And yes, the difference is that the last couple of years the team was stagnant and got worse as the season went along. This year's team will get better.

I agree, good read ILove. Not much to add.

Also, yes, let's just develop Chang in whatever way this is possible. A mobile qb is essential in the CFL as I see it unless you have a gunslinger arm.

Bahhh, lots of sheep on this post. Nice sticking to the "company" line. Sounds like the "caretaker" or coach Taaffe in disguise.

This is ONE time I will voluntarily ACCEPT the title of SHEEP ...

In the familiar vernacular of this place ...

BINGO !

This is a MUCH DIFFERENT year than one's PAST ...

Steady, VISIBLE,and TANGIBLE Improvement is they KEY here ... we all will be WATCHING closely.

PEace.

Hey Kobblakhan,

Not everyone agrees to keep burning the house down every year. If this is interpreted as being sheep, well, then go for it man.

Nice sticking to the "company" line. Sounds like the "caretaker" or coach Taaffe in disguise.
I can assure you that I'm neither. :lol:

Your right that I’m sticking to the “company line”, at least for now, in regards to this season and the new people leading the “company”. :thup: