This team needs to keep both Evans and Masoli

They have each others back and work so great together, and no blame to either of them for last nights loss. Let's hope they can continue to afford both.

They also need to keep Watford.

Thoughts?

7 Likes

Lets hope they keep both. Two Grey Cup appearances in a row. Third one’s the charm.

3 Likes

Why not keep one and build a better offensive line for the other?

5 Likes

Simple answer : I honestly can't see it happening .

I'm just wondering if anybody has considered the chance that we might lose both of them next season .
Stranger things have happened but there is an albeit small chance with both of them being upcoming FA's .

4 Likes

Then maybe the Ticats go in a different direction by aquiring Jake Maier who has a ton of upside and runs like a Cat chased by a really big mouse. :smiley:

2 Likes

In concept I agree, but the fact that this team wasted a year of Evans' development for some "go get em one more time" moment for Masoli made me question if this coaching staff knew how to manage the situation they had - they clearly didn't.

So if Evans is signed to starters money and Masoli wants to be the best backup in the league - i'm all for it. Otherwise it's time to move on. JM's had enough chances and the result has always been the same.

4 Likes

A lot of the CFL's offensive problems in the last few years is because of starting QBs getting injured. Most teams don't have a competent backup QB and then their season gets derailed. Both Masoli and Evans have been injured and the Cats had the luxury of inserting a starting calibre QB off the bench.

If the Cats only sign Evans for 2022 and he gets injured in Game 3 then will the backup have the ability to salvage the season?

5 Likes

Umm… didn’t Collaros survive so many games in Winnipeg untouched due to something Hamilton stubbornly refused to devote sufficient resources to… namely their offensive line?

4 Likes

And could Watford replace Masoli? Not really. Very different abilities.

1 Like

The Cats have decided to build up their O-Line mostly through the draft. Revenberg, Ciraco, Gibbon and Woodmansey are all on the younger side. I think the mentality here is to play these kids and put up with some of their growing pains.

Whether or not this investment will pay off in the long run is up for debate.

3 Likes

It would be ideal if both are back next season but I don’t see it happening.

We need to improve our Canadian content.

2 Likes

I’d be quite content with that.

1 Like

I’d be very cautious about that.

We’ve seen lately quite a few backups from out west with minimal game experience look good in one or two appearances and parlay that into a big contract and are expected to be the starter on their new team. . . only to fall flat on their face and get bounced around a bit before vanishing. . . Jonathan Jennings and James Franklin come immediately to mind, and Nick Arbuckle may be following along the same path. So I’d be concerned that Maier might be yet another.

3 Likes

We tried that and failed miserably. Instead we drafted the best Canadians available and brought in a couple of big imports to spare Nichols from further damage. We were a little too late on that initiative. He’d already entered that ‘chronically injured’ stage by the time we finally got things right. Our bad.

1 Like

Well it’s paid off for Zach. He hasn’t been injured this year at all.

Time for the Cats to lure some of these guys away. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Stanley Bryant is 35 while Jermarcus Hardrick is 31 (and missed a few games this year). Just follow our script. Grab a big import or two and plug 'em in. As soon as they get used to playing together as a unit (four or five games later) you’ve got yourself ‘Bomber Line Mark II’. Easy peasey.

1 Like

If our QB Dane Evans is going to continue to run , like he did in the Eastern final banging heads and then being injured in the Coupe Grey then I hope we can keep them both #8 & #9 , slit the contracts 50/50 , not happening , Dane is built like me , he "Cow Boy's " up but is a bit injury prone when not protected IMO , why is a QB like Dane doing QB sneaks , then getting hit helmut to helmut ? We'll need a solid 2nd QB if we go with either one of these two IMO , would like to see them 50/50 and happily inspire of the negative Ti-Cat fans on these boards.....

1 Like

The teams need to go back to carrying three qbs on the game day roster. If Masoli got knocked out for a quarter last night imagine we would have to play some wide receiver at quarterback and run wildcat formation. What a sad way to decide a championship.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.
It’s short sighted.
Perhaps a rule that the 3rd has to be paid the league minimum or something.
You need to develop talent.

4 Likes

Give up the global spot for a third QB. CFL 2.0 is a flop anyway.

1 Like