This "O" Line is Unprepared and Talentless

Ya. I just watched the game recap again. Man that was just pathetic. I hope it gets better sooner than later! :wink:

Okay just to put this O-Line thread in perspective consider this.......This line surrendered more sacks in one game than the team did in an entire season back in "99" the last year coincidently that the Cats won the Cup.That "99" Cat team only had 9 sacks against them all season,a CFL record that still stands today and most likely will never be broken.Translated it meant that the team that year surrendered 1 sack for every 2 games played.
So taking this a little further pro rated over the rest of the season this year,this team is on pace to have 180 sacks against this year.Well we all know that that's an unlikely scenario,so let's just cut it in half for the last 17 games to only 5 sacks per game on average that still works out to 95 sacks against on the season.Let's say that we improve it to only 4 sacks per game,or 1 per quarter per game on average,it still translates to 78 sacks allowed on the season.Even if we average only 3 sacks a game for the rest of the season that is still a whopping 61 sacks against on the year.The team by the way led the league last season in sacks allowed with 51 or an avg of 2.83 per game. :oops: :thdn:

Young was here in t.camp and was among the final cuts,so not exactly new,but still a rookie in the CFL. The only reason he was brought back was that the news on the Cats depleted O-Line just got worse,according to Drew Edwards, Joel Figueroa sustained an injury in the Saskatchewan game and has been placed on the 1 game IL. So it appears that Young will be replacing Figs at LT
on Friday night against the Esks. With Figueroa now being on the IL that adds up to 5 O-Lineman that are on either the 6 gm or 1 gm IL or in other words an entire 2nd intact line that are injured as of right now. :cry: The only other available OT at this time is another rookie import Dominic Alford who is currently on the PR but according to Drew is with the team out West and available to play if needed.

O-Lineman Injury List

C
Mike Filer
6 game IL
G
Joel Reinders
1 game IL
G
Pete Dyakowski
6 game IL
T
Joel Figueroa
1 game IL
T
Marc Dile
6 game IL

Here is Drew’s report on Figueroa being injured as well as his take and analysis on the 10 sacks and why they happened.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

Yikes!!!!! Looking at D.J.Young's bio it looks like his daddy Duane played for 6 years in the NFL with San Diego and Buffalo as a TE.
Let's hope and pray that one Rod Black isn't on the broadcast team for our game Friday night in Edmonton :roll: because you just know that Rodney will let everyone know at least every 5 minutes or so that the Cats newcomer on the O-Line had a daddy who played in the NFL and that he played with Luke Tasker's daddy with the Bills :roll: Just what we need another man crush for Rodney to fawn over and drive us all nuts about all game in his love affair with all things NFL or Aussie related. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.ticats.ca/roster/show/id/6661

Reinders played at tackle for two years only in a relatively weak CIS football program at Waterloo. Until now, he has not played at guard during his brief football career to my knowledge. In fact, Reinders has very little, if any, playing time at guard in a regular season CFL game that I can recall.
Being listed as a backup does not convince me that he’s now suddenly ready to start and be effective at guard (or tackle) at this level.

Simply attending an NFL camp does not mean you can play here. As you know, players who formerly played in the NFL (not just training camp tryouts) get cut from CFL teams every year. IMO, Reinders has not yet demonstrated that he has the skills, ability and athleticism to be an effective offensive lineman at this level.

We have no chance against Edmonton unless a miracle happens and the o-line comes together. Collaros will be running for his life again

Collaros hanging onto the ball to long was murder for our OLine. The timing between Collaros our OLine and the rest of the team was also horrendous plus missing two of your top receivers doesn’t help your timing. Fix that and you’ve got a different game lads. :oops:

I don’t think it was his intention to hold on to the ball too long. This happened as a result of Collaros being constantly harassed by the Defense. He would no sooner receive the snap from centre and he was under immediate fire. This isn’t new.
The same thing happened most of last season. One would think that team management would have learned from this and made the necessary changes during the off season.

Your as good as you practice. Cant blame the players for doing what they are told!

The O line was bad on Saturday, no one can deny that, but the stats are a little worse than what really happened eg. there were NOT 10 sacks, 1 of the "sacks" was Collaros slipping 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage and being touched and the other 2 Collaros was rushing forward and tackled at a 1 yard loss and the other I thought he made it to the line of scrimmage, either way they were cheap sacks. So even though the O line was bad, they weren't as bad as the stats, which discredits the cliché "stats never lie" , they may not lie, but they don't tell the whole story.

Have Faith my friend we bounced back after losses last season and do you all for get last year Sask beat us 37 - 0 lest we scored points this time :slight_smile:

I think you guys will be fine in the long run but it may take a few more ugly games for the O-line to come together. Austin didn't just forget how to run an offense in the offseason. There's been a lot of change in terms of personnel and with that change comes growing pains. Not pleasant to live through as as fan, but necessary if you want your team to get to the next level.

First game of the season, in horrible weather - I'm not willing to panic yet. you will see a different team and different game plan this week in Edmonton. A few adjustments will make all the difference. Can't wait...

They're already making changes. Rice went in for Myddleton at the half and outperformed him - don't write off the rookies yet just because they haven't seen game time! Most of those sacks came in from the right and the minor shuffles they did during the game did not help. Fig was injured in training camp and apparently reinjured himself in the game, but that gives a chance for Alford to step up. We need to see the rookies out there at game time to see how they perform under stress. Keep an eye on Rice, I have a feeling he will take over for Myddleton a bit more permanently until Dyakowski is back. He's got the size and talent, just needs some more experience. It'll be interesting to see how Young and Alford do out there tomorrow!

I'd also love to see Masoli get some game time. All the hype behind Collaros so far as been unwarranted. He doesn't have the gut instinct he needs. They sang his praises like he was the second coming yet his performance leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I'm just used to Hank being out there :roll:

It’s wise and prudent to judge every new quarterback on a single bad weather game. :roll:

I'm not just looking at the game in Regina. Even in training camp and preseason. He's VERY young to be a starting QB, he's only ever had a chance to start when Ricky Ray was out. He's played what, 15 games total in his 3 year career? Less than half starting? The good thing is that Austin can shape him up, but right now I'm disappointed with what I'm seeing...not that the oline is making it easy on him. At least we know he can take a hit...or ten. :roll:

And this entire thread is based on judging the oline on one game together so we're all being 'wise and prudent' here. I'm just pointing out that we have talent that isn't necessarily on the starting line. Masoli did awesome in his preseason game, I want to see how that interprets into the regular season. He might be our hidden gem, or maybe he just had a lucky day. Collaros will be good, eventually. Right now, I think they oversold his skill set as he's still young in the grand scheme of things. Just my opinion you're welcome to disagree, it's the spice of life :lol:

Cats O-Line,2 games,15 sacks,1 QB injured,7.5 avg game,on pace for 135 total sacks on the year. :oops: :cry: :th :thdn: dn :: :

LT...............LG....................C....................RG.......................RT :oops: :cry: :thdn:

The O-line was still very poor last night but they were better than game 1. My question is can the team's QB's wait for them to improve to the point where they can play at an acceptable level because these guys have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

An Argo-Cat fan

Quote"JM"

I’d also love to see Masoli get some game time. All the hype behind Collaros so far as been unwarranted. He doesn’t have the gut instinct he needs. They sang his praises like he was the second coming yet his performance leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I’m just used to Hank being out there :roll:

How did that work out for you?