This is important...

Thanks for your support sigpig. I guess I was most embarrassed by my false memory syndrome in thinking my Dad had attended Westdale. I’m not sure what school he would have attended in the twenties. He grew up on Pine Street (just off of Locke).

I still think changing the name of his school would be the best way to honour Russ, but your suggestions have given me other ideas. I will be contacting the Ward 1 Councillor, whoever he or she is.

'72

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
That explains why I don’t remember you. :wink:

When my older sister went to Barton, they had a shift system. So many kids going to high school during the "baby boom" era and not enough high schools being built fast enough and they had to split the school into shifts!
Times have changed and who would have thought all these years later that they have to close high schools and amalgamate because people just don't have kids any more.
It's not surprising these days that with a lot fewer high schools, a lot fewer kids, less kids playing football and more playing soccer, that the source for the CIS and the CFL is diminishing fast.

But getting back to Russ Jackson, there was an Ottawa Sun article a few years ago about his name going on to the Canadian Walk of Fame in Toronto. They said it was scandalous that his name was not on it, it seems the Canadian Walk of Fame was reserved for Canadians that actually made it in the US or internationally.