This guy just wants to play up here, nice

Thought this was a good article on a CFL hopeful. This is the type of player the CFL can get from the States, great talent, All American, just undersized for the more run oriented 4 down pro game but perfect for our more wide open game. Nice:

"Mike Murphy could have waited until the National Football League draft in late April to make a decision about his football future.

But the former University of Montana All-American last month jumped at the chance to sign a contract with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League last month, hoping to join other Grizzlies who have had productive careers in the CFL.

"I signed a two-year contract, but that doesn't mean anything because I've got to make the team," Murphy said Wednesday from Missoula, where he is finishing up his final two classes before getting his degree in May.

As an undersized defensive end, Murphy didn't figure to get drafted by the NFL, but he probably could have signed a free-agent contract.
The 6-3, 240-pound Murphy was Montana's defensive MVP last season when he had 44 tackles including 6.5 sacks. Murphy had 154 tackles in 52 career games and ranks second in UM history with 44.5 tackles for loss, and third in sacks with 27. He was named all-Big Sky in 2004, 2005, and 2006.

He was a standout in both football and basketball at C.M. Russell High, winning Class AA state championships in both sports.

"I think they'll play me as a rush end in pass situations, which in the CFL is most of the time," said Murphy.

His agent is Ken Staninger of Missoula, who also represents one of the best players in the CFL, quarterback Dave Dickenson of the Grey Cup champions, the British Columbia Lions. Like Murphy, Dickenson is a former CMR and UM standout.

Former UM safety Trey Young also plays in the CFL for the Calgary Stampeders.

Murphy said he reports May 28 in Edmonton for two-a-day workouts, with exhibition games starting soon after that.

Murphy said he's been working out this spring, knowing he'll need to be in good shape when he reports.

"I'm in summer-conditioning mode, running in the morning and lifting at night. I know I need to be in tip-top shape when I get there because we'll jump right into two-a-days."

Murphy said he would like to add five or 10 more pounds over the next seven weeks."

[url=http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/SPORTS/704120329]http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/p ... /704120329[/url]

good article. Hopes he makes it. and then is very porous when the riders play them. :twisted:

Smart plan. Good on him to take a realistic approach.

Reminds me of Jerome Haywood's situation.

Good article. It's nice to hear about guys who are excited about our game and want to play here in Canada. As Billy said, hopefully he does well up here just NOT AGAINST THE RIDERS! :smiley:

Good article. Off topic, it's good too see the NFL has finally adopted a behaviour policy for it's players. It's way overdue.

No doubt.

Good article and good luck to the kid I hope he makes the Esks.

Awesome!

I don't really care if he makes the Esks or not - for his sake, I do hope he manages to play pro football, but I just hate the Esks - but it's great to see an American kid realizing the CFL is a fantastic option, and not as one that's worse than the NFL, just one that plays a different style of the game. It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.