Thinking Ahead: Recommendations For Next CFL Season?

I agree with this post 100%.

I think the CFL has the ability to leverage the “reopening” of society. People are going want to socially interact in the future (maybe near future).

People are going to be more open than ever to just “go have fun”. Make CFL fun and people will attend.

2 Likes

The CEO of Pfizer stated last week, they don’t know if and how effective and what if any long term effects are, since they have no DATA. It is what it is. People who want to get vaccinated can go right ahead. I appreciate their courage.

As a former user of Vioxx that was approved you don't find out till much later .

My gut feeling is that all these vaccines are not equal in their ability to do what is attended effectively or safely enough . They all can't be the end all .

It makes sense that they are all capable of functioning to an extent thru initial testing allowed today because of urgency but a proper cross section of testing might find that this testing was not enough due to the casting away of vital studies that take time .

I am leary of anything done in haste that would have a mass vaccination without the proper studies especially for a virus that takes out 80 to 90 percent of the people with one foot in the grave .

You don't sacrifice the future carelessly because you don't properly fill the medical needs of a community with staff and equipment .

1 Like

That is how I feel. I lost a friend who was force vaccinated with Antrax vaccine (guess I had Vioxx on the brain) during the Gulf war. Had a stroke, paralysis and died. He was 28 year old father.

Pharma has been testing these synthetic vaccines for over a decade and they could never get through ANIMAL testing phase.

If you are a senior and at risk, by all means, but I’m not getting injected with this. I’m not an “anti-vaxer” or whatever the Woke attack label is. Just weighing risk and reward.

1 Like

Getting back to the original topic - "Recommendatins for next CFL season?" - just like the NFL did this season, NO preseason games, the first 2 games may be a little rusty but lets get back into a real season.
The NFL passing game has really stepped up, some records are going to be broken. It looks as if the refs are easing up and letting the receivers/defenders battle it out and clutch and grab.
We need our refs to ease up too, unless you blatantly push the other guy down before the ball arrives or pulling the shirt - "let em play"

4 Likes

The flip side here on the NFL is without actual tackling practice in the summer camps, the tackling was atrocious for about the first half of the season.

Some of all that great offence was only that because when most of the defences could not tackle worth a lick and the pass rushes were below average collectively, well of course the offences will rock!

Sometime in November it appears the defences adjusted and improved, so since then we have been seeing the real deal in the games.

The CFL ought to learn in this regard here as they go to camp when it is safe.

Put out a product that looks like flag football and the appeal will not last long but for perhaps, as in the US especially, a few young folks who only care about gambling and fantasy not so much the actual sport. Many remain glued to their phones for the entire damn games you know.

1 Like

Okay, is there any merit to starting the season and going for awhile without fans. The NHL is going to be allowed to play in Canada. 3-DownNation might just be on to something here.

...how is the lost revenue from bums in seats made up though? Loan maybe, to cover the costs to get it to a break even scenario...

Looks like Quebec and BC have approved a plan to have NHL home games starting next week. Could be good news for the CFL

Approved with ZERO fans in the stands…

Its a start tho. Further ahead now than in September when the Jays had to play all their games out of Tampa as they refused travel in and out of Canada

1 Like

NHL is indoor.

CFL is outdoor (for the most part).

That may play into a CFL advantage for fans in the stands.

2 Likes

Hammertown_Proud,

I agree. If they do allow any fans at some point, it will be for outdoor venues only. I think indoor venues will take longer. If that the case, the BC Lions would have to play in a empty stadium, unless they move their games to the UBC Stadium / Campus etc.

BC Place has a retractable roof

1 Like

sorta.

it does, but there is a Massive difference between a true open air stadium, and BC place, that basically opens a part of the roof.

1 Like

saying bc place has a retractable roof is like saying your sliding door is a retractable wall :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They would have to shut down concessions and boost sanitation in the washrooms. Mosaic Stadium in Regina could accommodate fans as there are plenty of entrances in and out of the stadium and ways to give some sort of order to the stadium/limit sections to maintain some sort of space between fans. Probably shut down tailgating before games and work with surrounding businesses to figure it out.

If/when they open up stadium again I imagine there’ll be some measures in place. Covid is a nasty disease so you’d have to figure a way to balance public health while still trying to resemble some normalcy

2 Likes

I saw today that it looks like any Canadian wanting a COVID vaccination should be able to have it by September and hopefully sooner. This should equate to a sufficient and significant portion being done by the end of June/July. That should allow full stands, no?

3 Likes

I imagine that's up to your local health authorities. For example, Cuomo in New York made people present a negative test before going to the Bills game

1 Like