Things the Commish didn't address yesterday

This is very scathing, but also very true
Orridge has a lot of work to do other than logo's and websites.

you should read this

[url=http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/greycup/Flag-on-their-play-356361331.html]http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/specia ... 61331.html[/url]

here are some snippets

"The audience for regular-season CFL broadcasts on TSN this season plunged 19 per cent, 15 per cent overall when you factor in French-language broadcasts on RDS. And that’s after they fell six per cent overall last year. That’s right, TSN lost a quarter of its CFL audience in English-speaking Canada in the last two years. One out of four CFL fans is now watching — or doing — something else."

"The audience for the playoffs has also been down. Last week’s West final was down 13 per cent over last year, the East final was down eight per cent and one of the division semifinals two weeks ago was down by, get this, 34 per cent."
"attendance in 2015 was down in five of the nine CFL cities, a total of two per cent overall and is now, on a per-game average, at its lowest levels since 2001."

"One of the few things that was up in the CFL in 2015 — aside from the number of starting quarterbacks who got hurt (seven of nine) — were the number of penalties, which rose nine per cent in 2015 and are now up, get this, 28.1 per cent in the last two seasons."

"The biggest problem facing the old CFL was that the refs weren’t involved enough in the games — said nobody, ever."

Perhaps we have short memories but, if we could turn back time and remember how far we've come over the last 20 years, none of these concerns would be that big of an issue. Remember, 20 years ago...

• The League was on the verge of bankruptcy with 8 teams losing buckets of money.
  • No one wanted to own the teams.
  • The ratings paled in comparison to today.
  • We had little corporate sponsorship.
  • Our stadiums were old and falling apart.
  • Tickets were cheap and couldn't be given away.
  • No national broadcaster.
  • The NFL was knocking at the door.

Today all of these issues are cured and 2015 is a paradise compared to the way things were. In 20 years, God willing, things will be even better. The negativity, as always, is cringe-worthy.

<"The biggest problem facing the old CFL was that the refs weren’t involved enough in the games — said nobody, ever.">

We can fix this, but we'll need a change of philosophy from the top. The question is, is Glen Johnson the man?

Penalties should only be called when they absolutely have to, not when they can be.

Other than that, the overpriced Grey Cup tickets and this new logo that has been hovering over us, everything is good.

Yawn....another sky is falling in the CFL world universe.

TV ratings - He did address it. Non routine competition the league faced was real. The Pan Am delivered very good ratings. Pushed the Blue Jays down too and convinetly not mentioned. The Jays had their biggest run in 22 years. That's going to make an impact. But the Happ signing may signal a reversing trend there. He did say the league will work with TSN and RDS (who were up this year) on how to improve for next year..no question it needs to improve but hardly a crisis.

Drug policy - Would be nice to see by now which he wants it now too. In reality the league cannot unilaterally make one. They need to work with the PA. A proposal is out there, the PA will likely counter and back and forth until it's ready. Not much else he can say.

Attendance - Down about 2% but that factors the Argos being displaced. Even with a full season at Rogers Centre and attendance not being good there, the league would have been flat.

Officiating - yes flags are up and they want to bring that down. Needs to work coaches, players too....not just on the shoulders of the referees

Next?

Problem is, that's a slippery slope.

Preventing receivers from going off side would be a HUGE step. It happens almost every play. There has to be a solution. My (silly) suggestion...

A red laser that goes from one side of the field to the other - attached it to the yard markers. It would go off as soon as the football is snapped. That way the receivers have a better perspective if/when they can cross the line of scrimmage. It might also look kinda cool. (* Yes, I know it's silly but that is the best I could come up with.*)

The no yards penalty is also a killer.

Fix these two and things would be MUCH better.

Yes.

Exactly.

What will people write about if rating go up and the Argos turn things around?

IMHO,An Official should have to answer yes to at least 2 of these 3 questions before throwing a flag
1.- Was there an infraction on the play?
2.- Does it have any affect on the outcome of the play?
3.- Was a players safety compromised on the play?

List of problems IMO

1- Lack of Unified vision and investment in the league by the teams. (Video game, Merchandising, Cross marketing, archaic web presence)
2- Aging fan base not being replaced.
3- Price gouging (some markets and GC)
4- Roster instability (made worse with one year contracts)
5- Instability with officiating (Too many rule changes, inconsistent application)
6- Poor relations with CFLPA (Inability to create doping controls, inability to suspend dangerous behavior)

The league had a prosperous decade to invest in itself and with the exception of new venues it has massively failed itself and the fans.

I'd tend to agree with this list with a "bullet" beside point # 2.

CFL News ?@CFL_News
.@TSNDaveNaylor - "Were a lot of questions & not a lot of answers. Think he (@Commish13) needs 2 B more forthcoming." #CFL via @TSN1050Radio

The CFL has not concerns in my view. Viewership and attendance is down in all sporting leagues. And ratings are full of BS anyways.

CFL ratings are huge in Canada and lot bigger than released. Baseball ratings are a lot lower than listed.

NHL ratings are a lot higher than listed. Its a faulty system in canada because they do things differently in Canada compared to USA.

The CFL only concern should be social networks and improving their website and better overall media production coast to coast. They also need to improve their fantasy sports and pick'em games with serious prizes that people would love to compete.

<Lack of Unified vision and investment in the league by the teams. (Video game>

Best hope for a videogame is if someone makes a mod for Madden, like in Fallout 4, but I don't know if the Madden series has ever allowed modding.

In that case it wouldn't be something official; only something the hardcore could enjoy. I don't think I official CFL game is anything but hopeful thinking at this point.

<1- Lack of Unified vision and investment in the league by the teams. (Video game, Merchandising, Cross marketing, archaic web presence)>

I also wouldn't mind Suits and Pratts haven't their own television show. I could easily see them being the Canadian, CFL-centric version of Pardon the Interruption.

More hype would be awesome for the CFL, but at this point it might be more wishful thinking.

But that's not true, the CFL ratings, the Baseball ratings, the NFL ratings, NH L ratings, ALL TV viewing is calculated the same way in Canada through Numeris (BBM). The numbers are collected from people that fill in the meters, the log books and the phone surveys etc, do you think the people at Numeris decide that they should inflate the hockey or baseball numbers???.............. :roll: :roll: :roll: The numbers put out each week by Numeris are for Canadian ratings only.

It has nothing to do with the NHL or the MLS or MLB putting out their own numbers.
The fact is CFL numbers are down the last two years and the NFL and MLB numbers in Canada are up and they are all measured the same way.

"...ratings are BS....". Really? You know this how in your 10th post today/ever?

1- Video games are NEVER going to happen - the costs are high with little demand. I think they have done well with Merchandise. Cross Marketing is needed but when I suggested a tie in with Big Brother (before it ever came to Canada), I was shouted down by posters.
2- This will always be the case. We cannot compete with the NFL. It is a magnet for kids. As people age, the CFL becomes important.
3- They will (and should) charge what the market allows.
4- This is inevitable. Agree, it would be nice to fix but I am not sure how.
5- Not sure if it is the officiating or players breaking the rules. If it is the latter, you can't blame the zebras.
6- Union issues - I don't care.

If ratings don't improve in the next couple years, then we can worry. As the League said, last year was a perfect storm.

The quote "...ratings are BS..." is from the previous poster....not me. I want to know why he thinks they can't be trusted. I would tend to agree with you that 2015 was an off year for the League but there are still major issues that need to be dealt with.

This commish will be the least effective leader in the CFL's history , that address was so amateurish yesterday (hey lets toss the football while I answer media questions ). Wow , very professional bud !
The question that was asked of him concerning the NFL's promotion hardcore in Vancouver and his answer was a joke.

Hey , Commish - the NFL won't work with the CFL , they will eat you alive and promote their own agenda (money).

Board of Governors must of had a poor selection of candidates when choosing this guy , this commish is living off Mark Cohons talents.

I know I will argument but that is why we have this forum.

He will grow into the job and be fine. I heard similar comments about Cohon and Wright (when they started) and they both did a good job.

Posted elsewhere...

The Toronto Star had a not so flattering article about the CFL by Bruce Arthur. I wrote Mr. Arthur :

[b]Mr. Arthur :

I read your article on the CFL. Myself and a lot of CFL fans would like to see an article documenting how far the League has come over the last 20 years. Remember how close it was to going under in the 90's? Remember how bad things were? 20 years ago...

• The League was on the verge of bankruptcy with 8 teams losing buckets of money.
  • No one wanted to own the teams.
  • The ratings paled in comparison to today.
  • We had little corporate sponsorship.
  • Our stadiums were old and falling apart.
  • Tickets were cheap and couldn't be given away.
  • No national broadcaster.
  • The NFL was knocking at the door.

Today all of these issues are cured and 2015 is a paradise compared to the way things were. It would make a wonderful set of articles after the Grey Cup... or even a book. :thup:

Enjoy the Grey Cup and have a Wonderful Christmas, Mr. Arthur. I always enjoy your work.[/b]

Bruce Arthur was kind enough to reply with...

[b]Cheers, Kevin. You're right - we almost nitpick now. Hope you enjoy the Grey Cup, and thanks so much for the kind words.

Best,
Bruce [/b]