Thing I hate most about CFL

I have three PVRs for this reason Jon. Also, you can record a replay game (say on NFL Network) of a game you missed but you’d have to stay away from any social media about the results. Sometimes the NFL program itself gives the score away in the ticker or some other comments that are live during the broadcast of the replay.

1 Like

For me this time of year is my favourite time to watch the CFL is the playoffs and Grey Cup .

The games matter more and the game play usually is of a higher level .

Maybe mix in some weather and Grey skies .

Only thing that I miss from watching when I was really young was the dead grass over the slippery carpet .

Prefer the natural grass . At least some of the Argo field is grass .

2 Likes

Gonna let you in on a secret. Their money is worth just as much as “real fans” money.

1 Like

There was part of a thread on this not long ago. I do exactly what you do I suspect, recording many games and watching them all and avoiding the tickers, etc. Avoiding social media is something I always do anyway. My new PVR can record 5 games at once so I only need one. If you are with Shaw you can get one for free.

The problem for me with this weekend and tomorrow is that there are too many games on one day and there is no way I can watch 5 games, unless there are a couple of blowouts I can delete part way through. I don’t carry games over the following day as it is near impossible to avoid hearing results for that long. For my own selfish purposes I would prefer to be able to watch the CFL playoff games today and the NFL games tomorrow. Shame on the CFL for not asking me first!

For the NFL games I’m watching mostly for my fantasy players, it’s easy to skip ahead 30 seconds to the next play and sometimes the other team’s possession altogether (in which case I guess I’m not really watching the whole game). In any case, that allows me to watch more than 5 games in one day.

So maybe try skipping ahead 30 seconds. I can watch all the plays of one game within 45 minutes.

Good luck.

1 Like

IMO CFL playoff games on Saturday (1 and 430 ET) would attract TV audiences at least as big, and potentially bigger, than they attract on Sundays. Or one PO game Friday night (8 or 830 ET) and one at 430 ET Saturday. But even if this were to happen, the league would not move the Grey Cup off Sunday because the festival requires three nights of partying and events before the game.

1 Like

A festival I’m eager to check out!

1 Like

The secret is they like going out for a beer in stadium but don’t like the CFL .

That secrets been out for awhile .

You should just give up trying to get them to do something they don’t want to do .

If they don’t want to watch the CFL don’t force them .

Two comments.

I of course prefer the playoffs like you for the same reasons. Except when terrible weather turns a game into an ice or snow bowl. You have probably seen earlier posts of mine arguing for an October finish so that the risk of this is minimized. I don’t like the most important games decided not by skill but rather by luck and team cobblers and I don’t like passing being eliminated and watching a fumble filled slide fest that hurts the better team that fairly earned an advantage. The play is never of a higher level under terrible conditions.

I am also no longer a fan of natural grass. I always was when growing up and aesthetically it still looks better. In the past the artificial turf looked like the worn out carpet at mini golf courses, with huge injury causing seams everywhere. This is a thing of the past and the artificial turf today not only looks a lot better than it used to but apparently is much safer for the players, much cheaper to maintain and handles adverse weather much better than natural grass and is especially much safer in adverse weather. Aesthetics or not it is hard to argue against that kind of progress.

4 Likes

I do that too but can’t watch them as fast as you because I am watching for viewing pleasure only and not for fantasy purposes. Plus I don’t want to miss the wisdom of Forde and Suitor between plays. Not!

They’ve paid their money, who the hell cares what they do after that?

It’s not 1985. Not everyone goes to the games to break down the 4-3 defence and come on a message board after to celebrate or complain.

It looks like that will be the case in Hamilton tomorrow according to TWN.

So I have heard. Let’s hope it’s not too debilitating.

You can’t beat viewing pleasure. That tops the sole task of following your fantasy team I would say.

I think more people are willing to tune in to the playoffs because it’s an elimination situation.

1 Like

Hey Lyle, what else do you hate about the CFL?

1 Like

How about this. It's easy. Watch the games when they are on if you like CFL football. It's pretty simple.

1 Like

That works for some but not for others. There are many like me that like both CFL and NFL and all games in the same day preclude watching them live, unless you want to get dizzy flipping channels and never getting the feel for any one game.

That’s the bet at least. But I would think the CFL ratings would be higher if not competing directly with the NFL.

I wonder if they think more people would actually attend the games on Sunday