Thigpen auditions for the Dolphins

That just ruined my day.

I’m happy for Thiggy I really am, but this sucks the big one for us. We are in so much trouble and so many don’t even realize that.

Agreed, to some extent. Good for him; bad for us. Thigpen was the only veteran import receivers we had left last year (if a player in his second year counts as a veteran, and he didn’t really get much time as a receiver in his first year). I’m thinking Thiggy Jr. (CW) actually has more experience at receiver now than Thigpen, given how much they used him last year.

So we’re now dependent on a group of import receivers who are all in their second year. Fortunately, they all seem to be quite good, and fast. So I’m not that upset, as long as they don’t all go Preshae on us. :expressionless:

If Terry Grant can bounce back from his injury he may very well replace Thigpen quite handily. If anything Grant is even faster.

Huge loss for the Cats though. :frowning:

It's unfortunate that the top players in CFL almost always tend to head south for the big money. But that's reality - without the revenue from the huge American TV market, we end up with a salary cap. And we end up losing many of our best players as soon as they're eligible. And those are just the players who even bother coming north in the first place because they couldn't catch on with an NFL team.

Most likely but not 100%, they only want Thiggy as a returner so if they find someone else they like before camp they could easily cut Thiggy and say thanks.

I understand what you’re saying but for me that’s ok. The CFL with the import ratio mandate was never mean’t to be a league with what are considered the best football players, otherwise there wouldn’t be this ratio in the first place. Sort of like the OHL, they were interviewing David Branch during the World Junior Tournament and I guess there is a fair bit of discussion of how many non Canadians should be allowed on OHL teams. He mentioned that the OHL is a development league for Canadians for the most part, something to that effect, and that is their mandate. The CFL, while a more professional league than the OHL of course, still can have such a mandate even though there is this professionalism aspect. Some people disagree with this, heck even with a so-called amateur league like the OHL they disagree. Which is fine.

Suffice to say for me I think we are lucky to be able to have a league like the CFL in the first place in this country and while we will be sad to see some of our better players go to the NFL for the big money, it opens up opportunities for others from the big football factory down south.

If Thiggy makes the Dolphins, good luck and congratulations to him, but he'll sure be missed in the CFL
and more specifically, the Hamilton Ticats.

You can't blame a talented athlete for going where the money is.

Totally agreed. Actually, I had considered entering my post in the import rule thread, joking that if it weren’t for the import rule, no team would be able to keep any good players longer that three years. Maybe not that far-fetched…

And Terry Grant, assuming/hoping he comes back healthy.

He is gone this is brutal 2012 new HC ,DC,OC ,QB now our most dynamic player is gone :thdn: 2012 total rebuild and another Bob young 5 year plan ?

[url=http://www.thespec.com/news/article/650483--marcus-thigpen-a-miami-dolphin]http://www.thespec.com/news/article/650 ... mi-dolphin[/url]

Thigpen might not make it in the NFL- remember Larry Taylor of the Als who could not not make it with the Giants and, ended up with no salary for a year.

Remember Stefan Logan of the B.C Lions? Has now been in the NFL for three years, strictly as a returner. (With a few touches on offense here and there)

I hope he does well down there. Hopefully he has taken some Spanish lessons he’s going to need them there lol

Have to agree with others; great for Thiggy and if Terry Grant comes back healthy he will replace Thiggy, not to mention CW running back a few more punts as well.

All the best Thiggy, you will surely be missed here. Just wish you had the chance
to score a 6 different way td in a season 2 years ago, pick-6, should have put you
in the back-field! Even though not an NFL fan...go Dolphins!

Rev, when you use initials your meaning is lost to me.

If I can’t instantly remember which player had those initials
I am not going to check to see which that player had them.

I don’t think I am the only person here who feels this way.

Please do us a big favour. Key in that player’s name next time.

Actually in this case, especially in the context of replacing Thiggy (nicknames are ok?), I would guess that most fans would know who CW is. RC isn’t the first person to use CW to refer to this player, including me. I have also referred to this player as Thiggy Jr. a few times, given his similarity in size, speed, abilities, and versatility.

While using initials to identify players doesn’t always work, it is quite common when referring to stars. E.g. KG (no longer with us), QP, our AC, JJ, AB3 (also no longer with us). I don’t see a problem adding CW to this list, at least until he is given a nickmame that sticks.

Here are a few clues. He was our leading receiver this past year. He also helped out on returns, even taking one in for a touchdown. He was voted the fastest player in the league in the Players’ Choice Awards (Thiggy was second). And he won the Most Outstanding Rookie award this year.

Is JJ Jamal Johnson or Jason Jimenez? :wink:

And it could have been a bit confusing a couple of years ago if you referred to receiver MM.

Very good point. Except everyone knows JJ referrs to Johnson. Most people have other names they like to use for Jimenez… :cowboy:

Which brings me to another reason for using CW. Often players are also referred to by their last name, or even their first name. But with the number of players on the team with the same names, referring to a player by, for example, Chris or Williams just doesn’t work.