The Year of Henry Burris

The way I see it is .......... Ottawa is tied in first place with Hamilton

:cowboy:

wins are wins are wins.

doesn’t matter if they have their wins against bad teams or good teams. they have wins.

don’t forget.

there are only 4 teams (not including Ottawa) with a winning season.

Ottawa played Edmonton very early and was finding their groove. pretty sure if Ottawa played Edmonton NOW, they’d win at least 1 game.

You could probably say that about most teams near the top couldn’t you?
What about Calgary? they have only beaten lesser teams… :roll: :roll:

The East is a lot stronger than last year, all teams have improved. The Als are going through a slump they may be as good as last year but the other 3 in the East are stronger than last year.

But getting back to the thread title “the year of Henry Burris” I don’t care what team they were playing, you have to give him credit for breaking a CFL record for completions and for passing for 506 yards in one game and completing passes to 7 different receivers.

A wins a win, i agree 100% with slimjim's opinion.

As for Henry i tip my cowboy hat to him, i thought he was done a couple yrs back.

Well done Hank!!!!!!!!!

:cowboy:

Congratulations Henry, great to see Hank still playing the game at age 40 and showing the young guns how to get the job done.

Calgary has beaten Hamilton, Toronto and split with Ottawa and Edmonton. You saying Hamilton, Toronto, Edmonton and Ottawa are all lesser teams? :roll: :roll:

I agree, a win is a win when it comes to the standings but you don’t win Grey Cups from the standings. My point was I don’t see Ottawa as a playoff threat based on who they’ve beaten and who they haven’t. Every time they look like they are on a run they play a team with a winning record and fall back to earth. Much improved over last year but still a few steps to go.

As for Burris, they wouldn’t be staring at first in the east without him. He is the Ottawa leader and is responsible for the RBs playing better football than maybe they should. MOP favourite right now.

so, doesn't beating a team contribute to them being a "lessor" team?

What if montreal had won all three games against Ottawa? Then would it mean that mont only beat a "lessor" team?

Impressive accomplishment by Burris to say the very least. (in getting the record).

Poor choice of words. Teams with losing records.

I hate that stuff. Yeah, Hamilton has more wins against teams with good records than Ottawa but with an identical record (and games played) that only means that they’ve lost more games to teams with poor records (i.e., Montreal). How is that so much better?

Hamilton has beat teams with winning records and Ottawa hasn’t. That’s a factor just like Hamilton has a better chance in a game against a team it has beaten regularly than a team it hasn’t beaten regardless of record (their chances versus Toronto rather than Montreal). By your logic why can’t Saskatchewan make the playoffs and win the Grey Cup? They’ve beaten two teams this year.

That ISN’T my point. Mine is that Ottawa hasn’t LOST to anyone with a LOSING record (Toronto twice, Edmonton twice, Calgary). Hamilton has, yet I don’t see anywhere near as much scrutiny of how their record was achieved as I see for Ottawa.

Wow this thread has really got out of hand…lol by your logic then we could say why didn’t Zach or any other “winning” QB throw for over 500 yards or have 45 completions against the Als? or why is Hank averaging over 300 YPG and other QBs are not?

Lets get back to the original title of this thread - "the year of Henry Burris" - no matter what spin you try to give it and make up excuses why you don’t think Burris is having a great year, he is having a great year… :thup:

Don’t worry slimjim, there are still vocal supporters of this cause.

http://cfl.ca/article/steinbergs-mmqb-burris-leading-mop-race

It’s pretty clear to me that Burris is in the driver’s seat to be the 2015 Most Outstanding Player. Harris has been very good in his first year as a starter while Calgary’s Eric Rogers is having an incredible season at receiver. In the end, though, we have to be true to the word outstanding. That’s what the award is about, and no one has been more outstanding than Burris in 2015.
Note another comment made in passing:
Sure, if a healthy Zach Collaros were to be leading the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to the playoffs, this is a different story. Unfortunately, Collaros is done for the year, but his absence makes Burris’s credentials for the award shine.

Honestly, I can set my homerism aside here and say that Rogers deserves it.

Compare Rogers' numbers against that of other receivers. They are OUTSTANDING. He is 300 yards ahead of the next guy in yardage, leads the league in receptions and is tied for 2nd for TDs, only one behind the leader.

Compare Burris' number to other QB's. His yardage his high, but he has only 16 TDs, 22 if you include rushing. And yet he has way more attempts than his peers. That's not outstanding. In fact, Trevor Harris beat his him for TDs, completion rate and overall rating. Collaros has more than twice the TD percentage rate.

Burris is benefitting from a the glamour of the position and low expectations. I am EXTREMELY happy that he's having a season that enables him to give the finger to all of those who said he was done, a stupid signing by Ottawa, etc, etc. But if I had to vote on this objectively, I would not give him the MOP award.

Hamilton has beat teams they will face in the playoffs and Ottawa hasn’t. If Ottawa can’t beat Toronto or Hamilton they don’t win a playoff game. Period. Hamilton may have lost to teams with losing records, but they have beat Toronto and Edmonton.

As for Burris, he’s the starting QB for an 8-5 team that nobody expected to finish over .500. I don’t see anyone else in the east that can come close to his accomplishments this season now that Collaros is out for the year. Even with a healthy Collaros Burris deserved to be in the conversation with what he’s done for Ottawa on the field and as a team leader.

Like fine wine he is improving with age.

Hamilton has lost to teams that likely won’t even MAKE the playoffs. A great team wins those games too. I could argue that they’re inconsistent (I’m NOT making that argument, but I could). I could also argue that Ottawa has improved since losing to Edmonton twice and Hamilton has not.

That’s why the entire argument is pointless. Whenever they line up against one another, what’s happened in the past will mean nothing. The fact that Ottawa beat a team three times that Hamilton couldn’t handle even once won’t be a factor. That Hamilton beat Edmonton and Ottawa couldn’t is irrelevant.

Where Burris is concerned, I certainly don’t object to him being “in the conversation”, but his personal production is not, by definition, outstanding. You ask me who has outstanding numbers, I tell you Rogers. You ask me who is most VALUABLE to his team, I tell you Burris. But that isn’t the question.

I’m not saying Ottawa can’t beat a winning team, but recent history can reflect potential future trends. If the playoffs started today Ottawa would host Toronto in the east semi and the Argos would be the favourite. Doesn’t mean they would win but history would indicate they were more likely to win. It’s all speculation and that’s how my comments were intended.

I understand what you say about Burris. I’ve always been a bit split on the MOP/MVP idea. I think voters have mostly gone with a more MVP definition, but either why MVP or MOP I still thinks Burris is worthy of mention at least.

If I may, I’d like to interrupt the very good conversation you’re having with CRFAdmin to make one point. As the OP on this thread, my thought was (and still is) that Henry Burris is BOTH the MVP and the MOP of the year, at this point. The “style” in which he has led the RedBlacks actually transcends hard statistics. The man simply lights up the field with his play and his personality, whether his team wins or loses. Certainly there have been players such as Zach Collaros who have been league leaders during specific stretches of the season, but no one has brought more dynamism to the season or meant more to his particular team than Henry. Of course this all just a matter of opinion (mine) and not intended as irrefutable “fact.” By any standards though, Henry and his terrific corps of receivers have been a treat to watch this year.