The Year of Henry Burris

Well, if there's another player in the CFL this year who has generated more excitement, or given his team more reason to hope than Henry Burris, I don't know who that is. The man is flat-out the league's MVP/MOP for 2015 and (in my opinion) no one else is even close.

Can't think of anyone who has done more with less around him.

Last year was so painful to watch… He must have had the worst receiving core in history. They dropped more balls than they caught… This is one game that I’m sorry that I missed

Wow, things change fast around here!

Until he got injured in their last game, the description above would have applied to Zach Collaros. :roll:

Less around him ? Seriously ? Hank has got plenty around him, arguably the best receiving core in the league,a bigger revamped O-Line,a competent running back in Johnson. I would hardly call what he has to work with as lesser talent. The RB's have 3 of the top 6 receivers in the league and 4 of the top 12 . The RB's will most likely have 3 receivers top 1000+ yds this season and their rb should get at least 600 to 700 yds or more on the ground and has gotten 8 tds already on the season. The fact that Hank is as usual one of the last QB's standing this season without injury is testament to how improved his O-Line is this season. Hank has definitely found the "fountain of youth" this year and has had a terrific bounce back season after having absolutely NOTHING to work with last year. The RB's went out though in the off season and got some major weapons for Hanks tool box which was totally empty and bereft of talent last year.

Less Around Him ? If this is less than I can't imagine what more would look like.

Receivers and rankings in league stats.

#2......Chris Williams........60.......884......14.7.....84.....3
#4......Brad Sinopoli.........65.......828......12.7.....33.....2
#6......Earnest Jackson.....62........788......12.7.....55.....4
#12....Greg Ellingson.......46........652......14.2.....48.....5

Less around him ? Seriously ? Hank has got plenty around him, arguably the best receiving core in the league,a bigger revamped O-Line,a competent running back in Johnson. I would hardly call what he has to work with as lesser talent. The RB's have 3 of the top 6 receivers in the league and 4 of the top 12 . The RB's will most likely have 3 receivers top 1000+ yds this season and their rb should get at least 600 to 700 yds or more on the ground and has gotten 8 tds already on the season. The fact that Hank is as usual one of the last QB's standing this season without injury is testament to how improved his O-Line is this season. Hank has definitely found the "fountain of youth" this year and has had a terrific bounce back season after having absolutely NOTHING to work with last year. The RB's went out though in the off season and got some major weapons for Hanks tool box which was totally empty and bereft of talent last year.

Less Around Him ? If this is less than I can't imagine what more would look like.

Receivers and rankings in league stats.

#2......Chris Williams........60.......884......14.7.....84.....3
#4......Brad Sinopoli.........65.......828......12.7.....33.....2
#6......Earnest Jackson.....62........788......12.7.....55.....4
#12....Greg Ellingson.......46........652......14.2.....48.....5

Maybe he was referring to last year? Certainly not this season as your right Bobo, Hank has a great core of receivers and all with good hands to haul in the passes.

When the Redblacks are on their game, they are a tough team to beat like last night against Montreal. The Redblacks will make an interesting race heading down the remaining games now in the East with Hamilton and Toronto.

It’s corps, not core; like the Peace Corps or the Army Corps of Engineers. Apples have cores.

And I disagree. I believe Ottawa’s receiving corps is vastly improved from last season, but calling it the best is I think too much of stretch. Hamilton’s and Calgary’s I would for sure rate higher than Ottawa’s.

Thanks MJ :slight_smile: I should've consulted you first about corps and cores, my bad :oops: and I never said that they were the best, I said arguably the best which definitely leaves it open to debate, but having the #2,#4,#6 receivers in the league does strengthen the debate of who might have the strongest "Corps" of receivers this season. :slight_smile:

But Ottawa has 3 receivers in the top 10, Chris Williams has missed two games and has 900 yards, Sinopoli 830 yards. Hamilton has one at number 10, Tolliver with 673 yards
So yes, right now according to the stats Ottawa does have the best receiving corps in the CFL

I hear the argument. . . good points made I admit.

But, on the other side of the coin, if Burris focuses on 4 receivers, and say Mitchell and Collaros spread the ball around more, then of course Ottawa's receivers will have better stats.

Still, I wouldn't trade the Cats' receiving corps for Ottawa's.

No Burris went to 7 different receivers last night. I didn't mention the other 3 Ottawa receivers just behind Sinopoli, Ellingson, Jackson and Maurice Price. Great to see Sinopoli who is the only Canadian in the top 10 who is on pace for a 1,000 yard season

They talk about being more than a team but being a family and all that stuff. Where it rings true is that I find that whatever the mood is, it's spread throughout the whole team. It seems that when they have as bad game, EVERYBODY has a bad game. They played pretty well overall in Toronto, MacDonald gets his bonehead penalty, then they can't do anything right anymore. You seldom say (as an Ottawa fan) "We would have won this game if only player-X had shown up".

Kind of ironic when you consider that both Williams and Ellingson both started their careers with the Cats. I have to agree with you I wouldn't trade Tasker for Ellingson nor Banks or Sinkfield for Williams straight up for nothing if the deal was offered.

Burris has definitely benefited from our off season finds.

Last year was a joke as most of our receivers thought the numbers on their jerseys had stickum on them and were automatic catches when thrown at those numbers. :roll:

This year, not only do the receivers catch the balls that are CLOSE to them but they actually make that second effort and catch balls that are thrown close to them as well. :wink: and then they make those extra yards AFTER the catch!!

THATS the difference this year from last year :thup:

Where I see the difference is that last year receivers were constantly in the wrong place, to the point that it was even stated by coaches during interviews, or admitted to by the players themselves. But when people see the ball soar over the receivers' heads or doink at their feet, they assume Burris threw an inaccurate pass, which wasn't always the case. He threw where the player was SUPPOSED to be, as he should.

Not to say that Burris won't throw a dud on occasion, but last year he took the blame for the mistakes of others an awful lot. He didn't just suddenly become accurate with a little more "seasoning" as a player at this age.

As a Stamp fan I can only sit here and warn Redblack fans. Don't get too excited, ya never know when "Hank" will rear his ugly head, will it be the Eastern final of the GC :lol:

Although I am happy to see him playing well and the RB's looking good too!

What impressed me is not the 7 different receivers, but the fact that 7 different receivers had at least 4 catches each. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's never happened before in the CFL - or possibly anywhere.

The difference between Ottawa's receiving corps and those of Hamilton or Calgary is that Ottawa went out and acquired a whole line-up of proven players. Calgary's breakthrough players this year, Rogers and Fuller, had only 9 and 29 catches, respectively, last season. For the Cats, Toliver and Underwood are brand new to the league and Sinkfield had exactly 17 catches in his career before this season. McDaniel and Tasker are both proven players. But it took a little more skill for Calgary and Hamilton to recognize and groom talent, and not just buy it. (We also had the advantage of not being expansion teams.)

Now if Hamilton gets Fantuz and Grant back, I'd argue that our line-up is as packed full of all-stars as Ottawa's. Our "weakest link" would be Toliver, who's 10th in the league in yardage, or one Mr. Brandon Banks. Not too shabby.

At least all three of the above still have a bunch of players in their prime, unlike a certain other team that lost last night, whose receiving corps would be second to none ... if this was 2009.

Ottawa;s problem is there are great only when playing lesser teams. Only 1 of their 8 wins is against a team at the top (Calgary). the other 7 are against BC (2), Saskatchewan (2) and Montreal (3). That's a relatively weak 8-5 record.

Interesting. 7-0 against teams with losing records, 1-5 against teams with winning records.

Fortunately for them, they have two more games against Winnipeg, and they are the only team in the league that will not have to face the Collaros-led Tiger-Cats this year.