The War Amps "Play Safe" program - why are we blaming the kids?

Year after year fans of the CFL see kids injured by lawn mowers, in boating accidents and on farms imploring other kids to "play safe". What a farce! Why are we blaming the kids?

The implication is that the kid did something wrong, not the parent operating the equipment.

Shouldn't the onus be on the parents to "mow safe", "boat safe" or "farm safe"?

War Amps needs to update its program.

...so, for you, sticking your arm into the business part of a running mower isn't doing something wrong?

You better check with Mark and see if if this is football related. ;D

Ya, we still tell kids to not run out on the street and we tell adults to drive slower. Most of the time the kids listen, seldom do the adults. I think they are telling the kids to play safe because the adults are idiots.

...bingo, in this world of ever-increasing stupidity the message to the kids is 'take responsibility for yourself here guys, because the adults around you are more than likely morons who got participation medals for playing in soccer games that didn't keep score'....for some reason this society we find ourselves in believes that tolerating stupidity is part of being a tolerant people...that everything must be reduced to the lowest common denominator of intelligence because that's a nice way to live...

...case in point, I give you this:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/11100.jpg

I see lots of adults not obeying the other version of your sign- 'DONT WALK'.

But the question is: is the league, in conjunction with the War Amps programme, teaching kids the wrong lesson about taking responsibility for their own actions?

That is, after all, a very 20th-century idea and may not serve them well in the 21st century. We should be teaching them to blame the patriarchal, colonial social power structure instead.

;D Yup ;DJust a few examples of what Danny boy is taking about 8)

The Beatles.....Get Back(wards)8)

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052012/reverse-1337187008_animated_abbey_road.gif

OUCH !!!! :oNow that's gotta Hurt :o

And finally , someone who actually obeys the cross-walk sign......literally ;D

Not when it's a 9 year old kid.

With ME? Heck.... gotta' be some other Mark. I get blamed for throwing threads off topic with stupid comments in search of a laugh.

P.S. I thought the original post was an ironic comment on 'Don't Blame The Victim" campaigns. Still not sure if it is or if it is serious. You just can't tell anymore.

I once got my keys returned to me over a year after I lost them due to me randomly putting a War Amps key tag on them.

As you can see I have nothing to add to this thread.

...maybe I'm biased here, but when I was nine I had an air-rifle and a dirtbike and definitely the self-preservation not to stick my hands into a whirring mess of blades...

....but back to the debate, basically you're saying that the average kid doesn't have the smarts to save himself a trip to the emergency room but he somehow will get emotionally traumatised that these PSA's were misguided...

...I'm not being pissy about your point, I agree that adults are the main problem here, leaving their unattended motorboats racing around the lake and assuming the dog can handle the gas-powered weed whacker, but what's the harm in telling little children 'hey, watch out! the world's a dangerous place where your drunk uncle forgets to shut off the wood chipper all the time!! we all have to get better at being safe'...

I don't see it as blaming the kids, I see it as just warning the kids. Kids should not just assume that adults are keeping them safe and they need not be careful what they do.

It is like someone crossing the road in a lit crosswalk. Not smart to just assume since you got the light that cars will stop and therefore just walk without paying attention. In the end, one has to look out for oneself because no matter who is at fault, you still get hurt. To me, this is the kind of message being sent to kids, one that all ages could learn from

Ideally, it would be parents/guardians responsibility to warn and educate their kids, but many are just too irresponsible with their kids.

example,

farmer using and auger to put grain from a truck into a silo. Starts up the auger, open the rear gate and the grain poors out, at first, then the farmer need to go and raise the back of the truck to get more grain out leaving the area of the auger. Did he make sure no kids were around? Has he instructed all his kids to stay away and what the danger is? Somebody had to instruct the kids not to put their hand in the auger. If not the parents or guardians, then why not the cfl.

GEEZE! Normally we save these types of thought provoking topics for the "off season" ... Did I miss the rest of the regular season and playoff? Who won the cup?

First, and I forgot earlier, I would like to congratulate our new Mod. Well, he's new to me.
Second, War Amps is a great organization and charity. I am so glad they are connected with the CFL.
Third, if it takes a little fear or blame to save a child pain and suffering, I'm all for it !

Agree Dan without a doubt. And as my wife says to me, drive safely and try and think what a not so good driver just might do because there are a lot of not so good drivers out there. Wise advice I'd say.

Glad to see War Amps and the CFL partnering!

I completely disagree with your suggestions. Kids need to learn. It's our job as adults/parents to assist this process. Outlining the pitfalls of risky behaviours (willful or not) - is a way of educating.

Are you saying the notion of 'Playing Safe' is not wise?

Pretty sure the kid whose parents (or society) hadn't warned him/her about losing their leg to the lawnmower - wish they had.

Yep.... same thing happened to me. I couldn't drive for a year. I couldn't get into the house for a year. I couldn't unlock the shed for a year. Couldn't get into the portable safe for a year. And couldn't use the boat for a year. Couldn't unlock the office door. Bummer.

But seriously.... I've used the War Amp key tag system for years but have always wondered... Okay, let's say I did lose my keys. Wouldn't one naturally go out and immediately replace all of the lost keys? After all....

Funny, my parents always told me to go play on the highway.