The Trade

Holmes & Getzlaf for Armstead.

What say you Rider fans.

Ridiculously stupid deal.

fully agree armstead is an amazing player, we dont need a running back. THis has salary cap shuffling written all over it nothing else, the cap cost us armstead plan and simple

...what is this....Riders loved this guy a couple of yrs. ago and Holmes loved Regina....Tilman is doing a little fancy footwork here....and has pulled off a good trade.....Armstead has talent....preferred the east (see rens.) and is returning to the eastern basement....wait a minute says Army....wasn't i just with a 1st. place club in the west)....(the only draw-back)...i really think Armstead is more comfortable back east....granted he doesn't have his ol' friend Kerry Joseph to throw to him.....but heh...he'll get used to Maas eventually....and in between handoffs to Lumsden....he could get the ball......good trade for both clubs....heh heh..... :wink:

I like the Trade... players like Armstead are a dime a dozen....players like Holmes who loved Regina are not... Nothing personally against Armstead but I think he can be replaced..Holmes is a better Kick returner and more than adequate backup tailback... its just a better fit for both teams

I want to be happy for the deal since I was a big fan of Holmes, but I am concerned that we may not have the best depth now at receiver that we had before this trade. Tillman has won almost every trade so far, I will give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

The Riders could miss Armstead big time if any of their receivers get hurt down the line.

At first glance, Hamilton seems to have a edge in this trade unless Holmes can regain his old form. In pro sports, the team that acquires the best player usually wins the trade because lesser players may not stay long in limited roster. Both teams are trading from adequate depth in personnel, but Hamilton probably needs Armstead more than Saskatchewan needs Holmes.

Im sorry to see Armstead go, but I am thrilled to see Holmes coming home..:slight_smile:

yo buddy, correct yourself. Holmes is more of a returner than he is a running back. Childs needs to go, he’s useless. and Armstead really wasn’t doing that great of a return job.

And as a Receiver, I would honestly throw to Dominguez and Flick before I’d throw to Armstead.

this is a great deal and has made us very strong now on Special teams!!

Don't forget, the Riders have lots of receivers..

3 of them are on Injury Reserve and 2 of them are back very very soon.

The reason our Armsteads returns have sucked is because we have no blocking everyone is trying to block the punt…And i remember Holmes having fumble problems, I dont think this is gonna affect our return game at all…still think its a cap move

What ??? How? Armstead wants to be the #1 guy. Obviously he isn’t with the Riders and he made that known. So, Tillmann did his job and traded him. How does that not make sense to you? Getting Corey back (I knew he would be back) will excite the fans and also aquiring the ANOTHER hometown boy in Getzlaf. Riders win out on this trade for sure.

This trade is a miracle!

redandwhite said it was impossible to make mid-season trades.

Now we've got some cap room and an import receiver spot (assuming Holmes takes Childs' spot) for whichever one of Calgary's disgruntled finally escapes to greener pastures.

We'll call it "The Raping of Barker Pt.2".

what was Pt.1 ?

Have you not watched all season??? Jason armstead has dropped and bumbled quite a few punts this year. Yes, some are to blame on the weather, but some are not.

Green2thebone Posted: Aug 20, 2007 - 06:28 PM

The reason our Armsteads returns have **** is because we have no blocking everyone is trying to block the punt…And i remember Holmes having fumble problems, I dont think this is gonna affect our return game at all…still think its a cap move

Have you not watched all season??? Jason armstead has dropped and bumbled quite a few punts this year. Yes, some are to blame on the weather, but some are not.

For those who think this is a salary cap issue. I would suggest that you look again...at Saskatchewan's Injured Reserve List. There are a number of players who should be gone because of a cap issue. I have highlighted just a few of the current injured list. We are protecting a number of players from camp...

7 Stancil, Thomas LB - Injured
11 Tate, Andrew QB - Gone Salary Cap Issue
20 Nkeyasen, Kennedy DB - Gone Salary Cap Issue
22 Cherniawski, Dustin DB - Injured
24 Justin, Airabin DB - Injured
29 Davis, Eddie DB - Injured
50 Jones, Brian OL - Gone Salary Cap Issue
51 Adams, Marcus DL - Injured
59 Frenette, Jocelyn G - Injured
60 Makowsky, Gene T - Injured
62 Feugill, John T - Gone Salary Cap Issue
79 Jurineack, Terrell DE - Injured
81 Azzi, David WR - Gone Salary Cap Issue
86 Hoffart, Nathan SB - Possibly Gone Salary Cap Issue
87 Murphy, Yo WR - Injured
89 Hill, Kahlil WR - Gone Salary Cap Issue
94 Mitchell, Kyle DL - Injured

holmes never stopped being a rider at heart....or atleast, in mouth..haha

After reading all the discussion on this trade, I come back to only one conclusion. Both sides pulling this off for nothing more than PR reasons. Hamilton at 1 - 6 have nothing to lose and a shake up for the fans shows the new regime isn't sitting on their hands. The new regime in Regina has brought home two native sons, a project and a past hero.