The Toronto crowds are embarassing

As a long time CFL fan I have not cringed harder than when TSN shows the stands at a Toronto home game. That’s the kind of crowd I would expect for a high school game.

Greater Toronto has around 6 million people. and they can’t draw more than 9-10K. Is it a lack of marketing or a lack of interest? Maybe both.

2 Likes

do you go to any games?

if you don’t, then you probably know some of the reasons why?

i’m not sure what it is, but i suspect it’s many factors. it’s pretty bad in Edmonton too.

FWIW I agree - the empty seats and poor crowds are sad.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if they’d be better off relocating to the Maritimes. They have the perfect branding for that location.

5 Likes

except no actual stadium to play in.

Toronto should work, but perhaps if MLSE didn’t regard the Argos as an afterthought and did a little more to push the brand and fan experience?

5 Likes

Details, details.

2 Likes

I live in Vancouver…

2 Likes

Have you been to a game at BMO? They go out of their way there to make your game day experience. Top notch every time I’ve been there.

8 Likes

hah! well yea I think football is marketed different out here.

Toronto and most other teams attendance were lagging even before pandemic. overall product on field is not what it used to be so it actually makes sense. Winnipeg and Hamilton fanbase can’t keep the league afloat.

4 Likes

why do you think people aren’t coming to games tho? is it ticket prices? other things to do? lack of interest?

I think Edmonton likely has more reasons for their poor attendance (ie: endless poor team results, stadium experience). Even BC’s attendance isnt that great apart from home openers or event weekends thanks to Doman.

3 Likes

BC showed us in 2010 that a temporary stadium is very doable. That stadium held over 27K. So that’s certainly an option on the east coast. Use it while a stadium is built.

I think the Argos would do better out east, and their name and aesthetics fit right in with east coast culture.

1 Like

yea well that is an expensive proposition that no one wants

2 Likes

People’s perception of the CFL’s inferiority to the NFL. It’s all across Canada but especially strong in Toronto. People wouldn’t cross Front Street to see Flutie play for the Argos but would drive to Buffalo when he was a Bill.

11 Likes

Many Toronto fans have detailed all of the many different things the Argos have done to try and promote their team and as stated in this thread, they provide an excellent game day experience. I can’t say as the only Argo game I ever attended was in 1971 at Exhibition Stadium, but I have no reason to doubt their word.

If it wasn’t for MLSE it is doubtful that the Argos would still exist. I repeat my theory, Toronto isn’t much of a sports town and certainly not a football town. Maybe putting Maple Leafs on their jerseys might help. Toronto is certainly a hockey town.

5 Likes

It’s a basketball and baseball town also. But I agree that it’s not really a football town. All the more reason to move them to a place where they’re the only pro game in town.

4 Likes

Without a team in Toronto I am not sure if TSN will pay more on the next contract even though the Riders and Bombers draw more viewers.

They are still there as it helps with TSN.

4 Likes

What are the Argos television viewership numbers?

If your concern is league presence in the GTA, I think the Cats could have that covered.

4 Likes

“Manning said Toronto’s television viewership is up a whopping 164 per cent in the crucial 25-to-54 age demographic within Ontario and 46 per cent nationally.”

5 Likes

It’s odd, the Argo logo isn’t even on the front of the building at MLSE head offices. It’s sad really for the team. And the league as well perhaps except that MLSE has deep pockets to pay the bills. I suppose that is all that matters in the end. I doubt the league could find another owner with the pockets of MLSE.

4 Likes

Lack of interest

1 Like

I’m an Argo season ticket holder for along time. They have advertised. It’s a lack of interest. The city has out grown the CFL. Unfortunately the Argos are way down in the pecking order. We have NHL, MLB, NBAand a lot of other sports and entertainment. And all so a lot more exposure to the NFL. Buffalo is 1hr drive away.People always equate empty seats with lack of advertising. It has nothing to do with that. All my friends that aren’t CFL fans are just not interested. Like one of my friends said, I only have so much money and time to spend on sports. So I’m going to watch the best leagues.This just didn’t start , it’s been a slow drip for decades. It hurts me to see any empty stadium.Now you’re see it in Calgary and Edmonton. It’s not going to get better it’s only going to get worse. I don’t like being a pessimist but I have to be honest and call it as I see it.

5 Likes