The time has come to REVOLUTIONIZE the game of Football ....

And the CFL is just the league that SHOULD DO IT !!

I know there has been talk of it before, but the time is NOW to ABOLISH the SINGLE PAT KICK.

From this fan's perspective the single PAT is the WEAKEST ASPECT of the game. It is PERFUNCTORY, BORING, and does little to ENHANCE or PROGRESS the game.

Instead the team that scores a major should line-up from the 2 1/2 and attempt a NON-KICKING play for the SINGLE PAT. Thus FORCING the scoring team to EARN the EXTRA PT. This added layer of SOPHISTICATION would go a long way toward ENHANCING the STRATEGIC / ADVERSARIAL nature of football.

If the CFL wanted to be really RADICAL, then they could ALSO allow for a NON-KICKING 2 point conversion from the 5/12.

The CFL should take this OPPORTUNITY to further DISTINGUISH their game from EVERY other football league and ADD a dimension of STRATEGY and INTRIGUE that has heretofore NEVER BEEN SEEN ON A FOOTBALL FIELD.

One cannot EXAGGERATE the STRATEGIC IMPACT this would have on the game of football .... I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to see those in charge have the VISION and COURAGE to REVOLUTIONIZE the sport FOREVER !!!!!!!

Peace.

I know I will be sorry for asking but what do you suggest?

HA HA ... just edited to answer that question ... too early to be thinking for me.

First of all
why the 2 and a half and 5 and a half?
Second of all thes has been done to death here and the is only one guy who will agree and its not me.
Do a search on action point

I did a search as advised ....

First of all "TRADITION" is NOT an arguement FOR or AGAINST ANYTHING ... it is an EXCUSE for WEAK MINDED people to AVOID CHANGE.

The perspective I come from says that the CFL is a RINKY DINK Football league that has done it's BEST to MERELY SURVIVE in this country for as long as it has.

The CFL is currently riding it's CYCLICAL WAVE of popularity ... something has happened recently to ignite interest in the CFL .... the time is NOW to capitalize on it's current good fortune ... the NEW FAN is not swayed by WEAK excuses like TRADITION !!

And what kind of ARGUMENT is WEIRD SCORE LINES like 23-18 !!!!????? Why a TD for 7 ?? A TD is 6 (SIX pts) PERIOD. It is the POINT AFTER TD we are talking about !!!

The PRINCIPLE behind a NON-KICKING PAT is to EMPHASIZE those ASPECTS of FOOTBALL which MAKE IT the GREAT GAME IT IS ... things like STRATEGY, OFFENSE/DEFENSE SCHEMING AND GAME PLANNING.

a NON-KICKING PAT does NOTHING to FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE the scoring SYSTEM of the game .... 1 and 2 POINT conversions are still OPTIONS ... the method of OBTAINING them is different ..... THAT'S IT !!

You are just saying to the fans/players/coaches - GO OUT AND EARN YOUR CONVERSION !!!!!! Something a PRO ATHLETE should WELCOME !!

Yeah, keep the KICKING PAT in the LOWER LEAGUES for development reasons, but once the BIGS have been OBTAINED then it is time to PUT UP or SHUT UP.

WHAT CAN POSSIBLY BE WRONG with THAT !!!!!????

Peace.

If you want DIFFERENT RESULTS you have to DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY !!

why the 2 and a half and 5 and a half?
The 2 1/2 for a single because this is SIMULTANEOUSLY close enough that a team can always have the REALISTIC OPTION to RUN the ball in for ONE pt, and FAR enough that it is not a GIMME. This allows for the battle of wits between playing / defending run or pass.

The 5 1/2 because it is far enough that a team will MOST LIKELY be FORCED to THROW ... thereby tilting the competitive edge to the DEFENSE and thus making it hard enough to JUSTIFY the 2nd POINT given.

Peace.

FURTHERMORE .... for those who argue this move would reduce the SIGNIFICANCE of the KICKING GAME .... I suggest you are WRONG, not only does it NOT REDUCE, but it makes the KICKING GAME (specifically the FG) EVER MORE VALUABLE .... let's say your team has a STOUT DEFENSE that take on all comers and can prevent a single point conversion ..... but your OFFENSE has Danny McManus on it and can't crack the 20 yard line without throwing an INT ... now you don't NEED to force the ball into the endzone for 6 ... you can bring out Boreham and kick three ... because now you only need another FG to tie the 6 given up on the MAJOR TD !!!!!!

As I stated .... this is a PROFOUND and SOPHITICATED CHANGE that would, INDEED, REVOLUTIONIZE the sport FOREVER !!

Peace.

http://www.free-smileys.org/emo/signs017.gif

..........you're not the guy that invented the Segway, are you?.........you know, that stupid two wheel thing that was suppose to REVELUTIONIZE the FREE WORLD with its EASE of MOTION and SUPERIOR AMBULATORY SKILLS that FAR SURPASS normal human walking........why walk? Its so TRADITIONAL and OUT-DATED .......you bush league humans...........

.............joking BTW, and I applaud your fervent nature, but saying tradition is for weak minded individuals is an arguable point.........and as much as most of us are open to idea swapping your claim this change would instantly vault the CFL into some nether-region of sports heraldom is debatable........the purists could easily say this change might easily as well support an argument that the CFL is trying too hard to differentiate itself with oddball rule changes, thereby losing credibility as it slips another notch towards the cesspool created by the XFL..........

Saying that tradition is an EXCUSE used for weak minded individuals to avoid change is an opinion I hold to be fact in my personal world view.

Now, characterizing as ODDBALL a rule change that forces TEAMS to RUN or PASS to CONVERT an EXTRA POINT ATTEMPT instead of KICKING it .... that is ARGUABLE !!

Please, just think about it for more than a minute .... the PAT would still EXIST !! The SINGLE and DOUBLE PAT would still EXIST .... you are just CHANGING the METHOD.

What is ODDBALL about that !!?? I look at it as EVOLUTION .... much like what the NHL has done ..... they realized they needed to change the game to better it for the fans. Well, so does the CFL ....

The PAT in it's CURRENT FORM is UNNECESSARILY PERFUNCTORY AND BORING and does not have the STRATEGIC IMPACT it (ARGUABLY) SHOULD HAVE !!

Peace.

Regarding ro13 ...

Weak minded I can deal with, however, dim-witted and dull minded individuals need not bother.

Peace.

..............'kay, I gave it a minute.........don't like it..........the PAT, while not the spellbinding knockyoursocksoff play it maybe was 50 years ago, is so integral to the game in my mind that it stays out of sheer grandfathering rights........it is not a 'given' play, it still has to be earned and yes it is 99.5% always made but that's not 100%......in fact,when it is missed thats when it becomes a spellbinding knockyoursocksoffplay.........running an extra play after every TD also ups the chance of injurying a key offensive or defensive player, for what? a measly point...........besides, the offence has the two point conversion at it's disposal when it wants to wow-up the game........

.........want to make a wild change?........keep the PAT but allow the D to pyramid to create zany highlite reel plays of the week..........

"Tradition is the Fortress the Strong-Willed Individual takes Harbour in when the Blustery Winds of Useless and Superflorous Change blow" - Vince Lombardi

(ps - I made that one up, but it's pretty good you gotta admit, eh?)

An opinion you hold to be fact!!!!!
An opinion is an opinion and a fact is a fact and neither the 2 shall meet!!!

Why not put flubber(who remembers that) on the soles of their shoes so they can hop skip and jump to the endzone.

Maybe they can use a golf club and drive it between the uprights!!!!!!

OH OH OH
Make em ride donkeys!!!!! That would be cool and different and quite a change!

..........hehehehe..........he said 'flubber'..........

Red
Ya gotta remember Fred McMurray and flubber!!!!

........absolutley, greatest invention ever made, flubber........would've REVELUTIONIZED the NBA if not for those DAMN TRADITIONALISTS that FORCED the league to ABANDON this NEW and AMAZING material.........right up there with a chimp picking network broadcasting schedules and a Doctor that talks to animals.....

I WOULD agree if the change were “useless” and “superfluous”.

However, with all due respect, especially to one who has 50 years of memories, the change is ANYTHING BUT superfluous.

I suggest that it s PRECISELY because the KICKING PAT is …

99.5% always made
that you view the PAT as ....
a measly point
Remember, the PAT ALREADY EXISTS ... I am just saying you FORCE a Team to RUN or PASS the ball to convert it. This would MOST CERTAINLY REDUCE the 99.5% COnVERSION rate to a rate which would PROFOUNDLY CHANGE the way you view that "MEASLY POINT or 2".

No longer is OT a SURE THING … even though your DEFENSE succumbed and let the major score in, they still HAVE A CHANCE to prevent the TIE/WIN/LOSS !!! The POTENTIAL IMPACT is STAGGERING if you think about it … It would go a long way toward ADVANCING SPECIAL TEAMS … think about it … you say you don’t want to RISK INJURY for a “measly point” … welll that’s when you put in your 2 and 3rd QB’s and RB’s … BRINGING in to play a TEAMS DEPTH …

ARE YOU FEELING ME YET ???

THE IMPLICATIONS ARE STAGGERING !!!

Peace.

"Well, good luck with that!" - Spongebob Squarepants

Further examples of the STAGGERING IMPLICATIONS ....

Let's say Danny McManus is yor QB and he has just thrown another INT that was returned for a TD. Instead of GIVING the team 7 points .... you atleast MAKE them EARN the EXTRA POINT !! That way, when Danny Mac redeems himself with a TD pass ... his team has the chance to OVERCOME his previous mistake if they STOPPED the opposition from converting AND (that is a BIG AND) converts their OWN PAT .... do you see the ADDED LAYERS of COMPLEXITY and STRATEGY !!???

Peace.

Donkeys it is then!!!