The Ticats want to hear your greatest IWS memories

Hey Ticats Fans,

We want you to share your favourite Ivor Wynne Stadium memories with us.

If you have a unique, quirky or special memory of the stadium, send your story to

We will be picking our favourite tales to broadcast throughout the season on and at our home games.

We can’t wait to hear what you’ve got to tell us!

Oskee Wee Wee

We were pretty poor when I was growing up but I loved the Cats and got my fix most game days by listening to the radio. Several times a season I was able to afford the special $2 tickets to the west end zone from money saved up from my paper route. Of course, there was no way I could afford the playoffs or the game of my dreams... the Grey Cup.

On the afternoon of the big game I walked from home on Sherman Ave. over to the stadium to listen to the game on my transistor radio while trying to soak up the ambiance and noise of the crowd. I must have walked around the stadium 20 times when - to my awe - I saw a knot hole in the fence about 20 feet north of the Melrose gate. I ran over, stood on my tip toes, and watched just as a young kicker by the name of Ian Sunter booted the game winning field goal over the east goal posts... perfectly framed in that knot hole. Within moments a cheering guard smilingly chased me away from the fence but I had attended the Grey Cup! And the Cats had won!!..

Maybe some day I'll be able to make it to another Cup but that one will always be the most special to me. My Ivor Wynne cup!

PS - The address doesn't work as an email address and if clicked only leads back to the home page.
Am I missing something?

I have a couple of memories. One was selling programs in 1972 and 1973. I was playing in the HMFA for the Saltfleet Stampeders and my buddy at that time got me the chance to sell programs..even saw Pat Marsden under the South Stands.
Plus I got to watch all the games for nothing...what a deal.
Secondly and more vivid was during the early 80's, can' t remember the exact year, but we were getting our buts beaten by Saskatchewan.
Now at this time pop was sold in those cardboard coated containers. We were in Section 22 in a sea of TigerCat fans, but alas there was one lone Saskatchewan fan who was giving it to us because his team was winning.
Well, our group was approximately 20 rows up from this guy and one in our group who will remain nameless, filled an empty pop container with a variety of exquisite garbage and fired a perfect spiral in this guys direction. As you can guess, it was a direct head shot hit, a classic.
Just to add, no injuries were incurred or penalties assessed on the play. :smiley:

Check out Drew's scratching post. he's doing a similar thing, and the stories are really well written:


Here is my submission on The Scratching Post. (I have edited this version both for better grammar and better wording):

I have many memories of Ivor Wynne Stadium.

When I was a wee lad (1962?) my parents took me to a game in the first season of the "new" south stands of Civic (now Ivor Wynne) Stadium. I think we sat in Section 22 or 23. My parents weren't well off so I imagine that they were given the tickets. I was too young to follow the play, although I tried my best. I still recall vividly 50 or so years later the excitement when the crowd cheered or booed. I could feel physically the sound they generated (cheering, booing, clapping) penetrating my young body. It's like I have the memory digitally implanted in my brain. Alas, unfortunately, I don't remember who they played or whether they won or lost.

In the late sixties, due to a neighbour, who was related to the gentleman who ran the concessions, I had a job at each game. My first year I sold potato chips in the stands. The bags were 10 cents each with my cut being a penny. I must have sold 90 bags, my first game, because I went home with the princely sum of 90 cents. Not bad in the sixties for a 12 or 13 year old. A bus fare was 10 cents and a movie theatre ticket was between 50 cents and a dollar, if I remember correctly. I moved up to selling containers of pop the next year. I carried 6 cone shaped (25 ounce?) containers in a wire basket filled with either of Pepsi or 7 Up (no diet in those days of course). Each open ended container had 3 or 4 paper cups (for drinking purposes) sitting on the top (to keep something from falling into the containers, perhaps?). They were 75 cents each (my cut was a nickel). On my best (probably very hot) night I sold 100 containers and I walked away with $5.00. This was serious change for a youngster in 1969.

My favourite year for the stadium had to be 1972. I remember going to the Winnipeg game in a driving rain storm. The stadium was packed to the gunwales. Who needed a dome? This was FOOTBALL weather. We won of course. That year we won only one of our first four games and a lot of people didn't give the team much of a chance. We wound up winning the final 10 games of the season and finished first in the East, with an 11-3 record. We won the 2 game total points (home and away) Eastern Final against Ottawa (overcoming a deficit we incurred in the first game at Lansdowne Park) and then beat the Green Riders 13-10 in the Grey Cup at Ivor Wynne. I had a very special feeling that it would be a banner year for the Cats. (After the first 3 losses) I just "knew" they would win each game.

They didn't let me down. As not all away games (and definitely not any home games) were on TV I remember listening to Perc Allen's excellent descriptions of the play on CHML. He could really "paint a picture" with his words. The colour commentator, Vince Mazza (sounding like he had a mouth full of marbles every time he spoke) always had interesting observations. I learned so much about football from listening to both Perc and Vince. That year, the only other regular season game I attended, against Ottawa, I went with my brother and his friend. They being NFL fans wanted to leave early as the Cats were seriously behind going into the 4th quarter and they thought there was no way that the Cats could come back. I successfully pleaded with them to stay. They were quite unbelievably amazed when the Cats did come back to victory.

I had the great fortune to be at both the second game of the Eastern Final and the Grey Cup as well in 1972.

While sad to see the "old girl" go, I am really looking forward to the renewed "Ivor Wynne Stadium at Tim Hortons' Field" in 2014. I just hope that construction goes smoother than Winnipeg's new stadium has so far and that it is ready in time for the first whistle in 2014.


Never been there , but going to try this year before she is gone.

Hi Mike:

Good reading.

I remember going to that Winnipeg game with my father. I believe, earlier that day the Hamilton Hurricanes, under coach Fred Jazvac (I hope the spelling is right) won the national title. By the way, he was the coach of the Delta Secondary school senior football team (go Red Raiders) and a gym teacher of mine. We were wet, but happy for the Hurricanes and the Tiger cats that evening.

Final score, Hamilton 18 …Winnipeg 3

1998 EASTERN FINAL ozzy says it all although i didnt see the kick i couldnt bare to watch i did open them to see chaos on the feild and in the stands the cats won. As well the 1992 eastern semi final game against ottawa again the great ozzy was the hero

My 2 greatest memory of going to IVOR WYNNE in the late 70's and early eighties .

  1. On many occasions, I would see a running back from the other team run through the line of scrimmage and in between a hole created by their OLINE then suddenly I would see the running back splattered as if he hit a mack truck fly backwards two to three yards and land on his back with a ferocious ticat on top of him . This Ticat is my favorite Ticat of all time .

After seeing this my friends and I would then wait for the announcer to call the play as we so often heard and expected after such a hit ..he announce "ZAMBIASI ON THE TACKLE "


  1. Back in 1978 , I watched or listed to every Ticats game and followed the roster like a halk like I do today . i was only 12 at the time .

Well one game I wen to the cats started this new italian guy at slotback that can't run and looks like a small fullback with no speed . H'es some guy from a senior football team in Sault Ste. Marie apparenlty . His name is DIPEETRO as they announced . I was complaining all game oh my how low have they gotten now ...A non drafted player from no uinversity , no credentials . no speed ..what a sad joke ..

Well this guy that they eventually figured out how to pronounce his last name ( DIPIETRO ) ROCKY DIPIETRO ..Wad a man with a huge heart and tough and had great hands and ran great routes He was a hall of famer and my 2knd favorite player of all time #23

It was a hot summer evening 40 years ago when the Tiger-Cats hosted the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the home opener on July 31, 1972. Like all season opening games, I was eagerly anticipating this match as the visiting Western teams would only come to Hamilton every two years and with quarterback Ron Lancaster at the helm the Roughriders were a powerhouse in the late 60's-early 70's. The thing I remember most about this game was the exciting finish. With two minutes left in the game, Lancaster hooked up with Saskatchewan receiver Bob Pearce on a 62-yd. bomb for a touchdown which tied the score at 17-17. Lewis Porter, who was burned on the play, made a rags-to-riches debut as a cornerback. He had been switched to defence that season after playing the 1971 season as a flanker. Porter was steaming as he took the ensuing kick-off and he proceeded to zig-zag his way across the field, from sideline to sideline, taking the ball 82-yds. deep into Saskatchewan territory. Two plays later, with 32 seconds remaining in the game, 19-yr. old rookie placekicker Ian Sunter (the youngest player in the CFL that year) kicked a 38-yd. field goal to give the 'Cats a 20-17 victory. A little over four months later, Sunter would repeat the feat against the same team at Ivor Wynne Stadium in the 1972 Grey Cup game. What an exciting way to start one of the most memorable seasons in Tiger-Cat history.

mightypope, I remember that game. I listened to Perc Allen and Vince Mazza describing the play. I think that long kickoff return was when I officially joined the Lewis Porter fan club. My memory must be a little hazy though, because I thought he took it to the house.

After that opening win Hamilton lost their next 3 before channelling the Chuck Ealey factor and went undefeated the rest of the way. I really wished I had seen that first game. Does anyone have a copy?

Lewis Porter only returned one kickoff all the way for a TD that season and it was a 98-yard effort in the last regular season game against the Argos at Ivor Wynne. That was also the game that Al Brenner intercepted Argo quarterback Joe Theismann four times to set the still standing record of 15 interceptions in one season.

mightypope you either have an amazing memory, or, are not yet affected by my obvious old timers disease.

"We are not worthy" [insert the sound of Mike grovelling on the floor].


Favourite Memory
The roller coaster ride that was the 98 Eastern final culmanaiting in Ozzie's massive 53 yard field goal. Ivor Wynne almost came down from the celebration that day!

Best Memory
In '81 I was your average 16 year old pain in the a$$, my Dad and I never saw eye to eye on much and he wasn't much of a football fan. Stelco went on strike and he had time on his hands. We started going to games together, the stands were full and the games were exciting he became a huge fan. We saw every game that we could, the Edmonton game was a heart stopper! We became closer and cherish the memories that started that summer. It continues to this day I'm heading to Hamilton this weekend to watch the game with him.

Funny Memory
In the save the Cats '95 Season I bought season tickets in box H behind the visitor's bench. Matt Dunnigan and the Barracudas came to town. Matt was standing next to a player named LeBra on the sidelines. The geniuses next to me started yelling at Dunnigan "Take off LeBra!, take off your bra!" It got laughs at first even from Matt who turned to look. It went on and on for awhile until it wasn't funny anymore then a distinguished and in shape older gentleman came sprinting up the stairs towards them. He put a hand on either side of the lead genius and then nose to nose said in a deep southern drawl "My boy don't wear no bra!" The whole section broke up in laughter and the genius said as he slithered under the seat "S-s-sorry Mr. Dunnigan". One of life's pecious moments.

Great memory was my first game at Civic Stadium, sat in the $2 end zone seats, 10 years old. Garney Henley caught a
sideline pass and the refs called the pass incomplete, the crowd was booing and shouting at the ref, pretty scary stuff to a young guy.
Also a great memory just a week ago, I took this with an IPod

[url=] ...[/url]

'91 Labour Day Game. Winless Ticats, just hired a new coach taking on the 8-1 Argos. They had Dunigan and Rocket and they were taking the league by storm. We jumped out to a 21-0 lead. They came back and at the half it was 24-21 Argos. We crushed them in the second half and won 48-24. Game stars were Lee Knight and Ernie Schramayr, two Canadian boys, both ran for 100yds after our starter was injured.

Another one was having the real tiger strolling around in his cage. I remember feeding time when they'd throw steaks in his cage that must have been 5 feet long. And what everyone would remember is when the Tiger would roar, it would scare the living bejesus out of you. And we sat at the other end of the stadium! Going up and getting pictures near that cage was scary too!

'98 East Final. We all know how it ended. We thought we lost, then Ozzie made that improbable kick. I've never heard Ivor Wynne louder than that. It was sheer pandamonium.

That's awesome. I remember just last year not being able to afford to go to last year's playoff game at Ivor Wynne. I grabbed the dog and a bag of treats and sat on a lawn across the street with a view of the south stands. Just being close to as you so perfectly put it, enjoy the ambiance is something all in itself.

If we can grow our fan base in such a way that makes tickets a hot commodity, a big screen television over at Scott Park and an extended game-day tailgate would be a fun way to be around the stadium and still take in the game and enjoy that feel of game day on Balsam Ave N.

I can so picture a child peeking in through the knot hole. :slight_smile:

Hope you make it/have made it down pikk. Do come early and check out our great tailgate across the street at Scott Park field.

We were just talking about that tiger the other day. It was pretty intimidating. Or how about TC driving around the golf cart and beating heck out of the Argo's mascot. Looking back I guess it was pretty violent but it was funny at the time. I wonder how many Argo dummies they went through? He took a beatin'.

'98 I think holds a special place in so many of our hearts. Our whole family was there. Very fun and emotional times. Unfortunately it wasn't until the next year when we won the Grey Cup but revenge was sweet.