The Ticats can help revitalize Hamilton

There seems to be a lot of stadium talk on the board these days so I thought I'd post the stadium plans from the 2010 Commonwealth Games Bid. These are the most recent and concrete plans for a new stadium and they show the potential of what could result.

Awesome!

Not to be a wet blanket, but how do 30,000 get there...

That looks like a transpanted Canad Inn Stadium, I'd hate to sit in the seats with the clock BEHIND me... you'd spend more time looking at the clock than watching the game... much like I did when the Tabbies travelled to the Peg last season

Looks like a good location.

The stadium itself needs to be redesigned.

Remove the race track and put fewer seats in the end zones and more seats closer to midfield.

The roof idea is good for keeping fans dry in the rain, so long as it doesn't block the view of planes during fly-bys.

Skydivers will have to be more carefull as well.

Okay I say dibs on the driveway of the third house from the left..........
Dont see any parking ..........

Joe thanks for putting this out there. And I dont think the design is what he was going for here. Obvously, there are no suites, pressbox. Looks like there could be some available land for parking maybe west and north of the location. The Stadium also couldnt be designed like that.

The biggest problem I see with this location is available city transit and, not in walking distance of anything really. And the roads in the area would not be able to handle the load.

Athough some of the cons I just mention would play a factor in a location I would suggest but I think the Eastend waterfront could be a good location. With the decline of the steel industry if there was available land near Burlington st., QEW Niagara, and the soon to be finished Red Hill Exp.

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newstadiumhy5.jpg

heres my location

That looks fabulous.

I love the location.

How do we get 30,000 people, easier than the current location!!!!!!

The area in the picture right now is the home to abandoned factories that no one is using.

Soldier Field is an area like this. The area is surrounded by a mix of homes and businesses and yes factories and it WORKS THERE

Two concepts that have been around for a while include:

1. Reclaiming the rail lands which would free up ALOT of property

2. The perimeter road, which was supposed to link up Burlington st (The express portion) to the 403. The reclaimed rail ;ands would provide lots of prperty for that.

We’re talking huge collars here.

Chicago's Soldier field?

Chicago's Soldier field is not in a polluted industrial area like the Woodward/Burlington st. are at all.

It is on a beautiful waterfront, surrounded by a marina, Lake Michigan, Grant/Millenium park (newly redeveloped), and a downtown area with a large string of top notch hotels, high rise condos, a planetarium, the world famous Field museum, an aquarium and a new and huge convention centre (McCormack Place)

The Woodward/Burlington st. site has none of that.

http://www.soldierfieldparking.com/Images/campusmap.gif

*** Edited upon discovery of error***

I just realized the GODFATHER is not referring to WHOKNOW's post that immedaitley precedes his (Woodward/Burlington st site), but rather he is referring to the original post about the waterfront site.

I'll still leave up the Soldier field info for comparison purposes

Winning the games was the key to this and we lost to all places New Deli. Without Federal and Provincial money this will never happen.

I like IWS and live within walking distance. Yes it's not the garden spot of Hamilton but's it's home to me and the TigerCats. :smiley:

This has been discuss hundreds of time before. There are pros and cons to every location.

My pick would be to build it at Confederation Park.

• Easy Highway access plus soon to be Linc access
  • Lots of room for parking and tailgating areas
  • No neighbours to worry about "noise complaints"

Does anyone know if there are any discussions about the stadium going on at city hall ie. state of the current structure and what to do next? Or is all of this just newspaper and discussion forum talk?

Chicago's Soldier field?

Chicago's Soldier field is not in a polluted industrial area like the Woodward/Burlington st. are at all.

It is on a beautiful waterfront, surrounded by a marina, Lake Michigan, Grant/Millenium park (newly redeveloped), and a downtown area with a large string of top notch hotels, high rise condos, a planetarium, the world famous Field museum, an aquarium and a new and huge convention centre (McCormack Place)

The Woodward/Burlington st. site has none of that.

In the late 1970's, I walked that area (which believe was a very stupid idea at the time) and it was exactly like Burlington Street. It was full of abandoned warehouses/factories etc.

You would not walk down there in the day, never mind at night. (there were 811 murders in Chicago that year - I saved the newspaper with that headline - and by the way crime was down that year)

What you see right now CaptainKirk is what it has become. As it rejuvenated, so could Hamilton, maybe not exactly the same way but better than it is now.

But it needs to be a moneymaker for the city otherwise I think they should make parks and paths for people to use to revitalize downtrodden areas.
The main issue is perhaps can a new stadium be a financial win for the city? And also somewhat for the owner of the Cats?

Ok here is what I dont understand.
Why are stadiums just stadiums and nothing else.
For example, Winnipegs new stadium plan will make it a fun place to hang out even if there is no game or concert happening.
It will house a Hotel, waterpark, bar and gambling lounge, plus it should also be able to host banquets.
These are things that will generate extra revenue for the stadium that the MTS centre lacks.
Now for Hamilton, I really like the look of that proposed stadium. It looks like a modern version of Canada Inns stadium only nicer. I feel that if this new stadium for Hamilton can become a win/win situation for both the city, and the team, then it should be more than a stadium.
Just curious, does anyone know if and when this thing is going to be built?

You have to love how people are crying that Ivor Wynn is perfect the way it is, yet this has to be the 10th thread in 6 months about the topic of a new stadium....If the majority truly thought that Ivor Wynn met demands why even bring up a new one ?

CaptainKirk is my favorite poster to read when this topic comes up. He always reminds me of Saddam Hussein's right hand man 'Chemical Ali'

"The US is not in Iraq ! Show me troops !?, there's no crisis ! no war ! it's all propaganda !"

Kirk's version goes something to the effect of:

"There's no parking problems ! tailgating is fine ! the seats are comfortable ! show me problems !? There are no problems !"

when it is clearly not the case.

Best to build it before the city deems the structure unsafe for events. Then we really have a problem on our hands...

Since I have not lived in Hamilton for many years, maybe my thoughts are not valid, but that has never stopped me in the past...so herewith my thoughts.
I knew Vic Copps from the time he came down from Timmins to be sports broadcaster for CHML and later for Ken Soble's CHCH. Under his aegis, things got done,things that would otherwise have remained undone.
IMO that's what will be needed, one individual in a position of leadership to rally the troops with a clear vision of what must be done. Vic could have done it. Is there somebody today with his vision and drive? I don't know. But, that's what it will take.
I don't think it matters where it's located. Once it's up, the people will go wherever they have to.

But, it won't happen unless one person takes the bull by the horns, galvanizes the community, and literally makes it happen. And it will ultimately be ONE person. If they set up a committee, kiss the project goodbye.

Wow

A new Cat Cage! Awesome