The Sun: "Ray not living up to billing"

BY MIKE GANTER
Toronto Sun

[b]you can blame Ray’s ineffectiveness on a lack of top-tier targets and there was that one dropped pass by Andre Durie on the first play of the night for the Argos, but the time has come where Ray has to be held accountable for his own shortcomings.

Simply put, he has yet to live up to the large investment the Argos have made in him.
Ray has to be better. The Argos are all in with him so this isn’t about bringing someone else in. This is Ray’s show and the Argos will sink or swim with him.

Right now they’re sinking.[/b]

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/28/argos-qb-ray-must-be-better]http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/28/ar ... -be-better[/url]

Well I disagree. I did not read the article, only the excerp posted above.

I think Ray is doing alright in T.O. I think he played a pretty good game last night against the Eskies. He completed a heck of alot of passes. I did noticed that he did not distribute well to his receivers, maybe that was because of the Eskie defense.

T.O. has been playing hard the last 2-3 games, they've been hitting hard. They have to hang in there, support their QB and not rely on the same few guys all the time.

The man is ranked 3rd in the league with a poor oline and average weapons and the team is still 2nd in the division, when's the last time the Argos were second halfway through the season. Toronto reporters really don't know football.

Didn’t see any mention in that article about protection. Reads like the usual media whining about how the QB is the only player on a CFL team.

3rd, no way.

1.Calvillo, A MTL 2,657
2.Burris, H HAM 2,456
3.Ray, R TOR 2,324

yards mean nothing. It does not reflect efficiency ranking.

Yards per completion means more (he is 13th out of 16 listed)

Completion percentage means more, however, he is high mainly because of mostly throwing short dumps.

passer rating means more. He is fifth, mainly because of inflated pass completion percentage

He has also thrown the most ints

Yards aren't the be-all and end-all of QB stats but they're not worthless either. If you're piling up the yards, you are moving the football.

yards, completion %, TD's, INT's etc etc are all pieces of a larger puzzle.

Passer efficiency ratings encompass all facets of passer categories to provide a better indication of overall performance.

here are the current ratings for name QB's thus far..

CALVILLO 106.4
BURRIS 110.3
RAY 91.9
DURANT 86.0
LULAY 97.1
GLENN 97.0
JYLES 84.9
BRINK 68.7
ELLIOTT 86.8
TATE 95.9

yards mean nothing. It does not reflect efficiency ranking.

Yards per completion means more (he is 13th out of 16 listed)

Completion percentage means more, however, he is high mainly because of mostly throwing short dumps.

passer rating means more. He is fifth, mainly because of inflated pass completion percentage

He has also thrown the most ints

Stats evaluation is a personnal thing, especially when it comes to QB's. Burris has the highest efficiency rating but that does not include his SIX FUMBLE. Yet the stat you value says he's having a better season than Calvillo..

At the end of the day, there's only one stat I care about when it comes to an offense. Toronto is 7th in points scored, only one point ahead of Winnipeg.

If you're not putting points on the board, everything else is academic.

edit - okay, two stats. Turnovers are key too. Burris is a nightmare due to his fumble issues no matter what is QB rating is.

I've never understood why fumbles don't factor into QB rating. It's the single biggest flaw with the rating stat. If you can't protect the football, what does it matter whether you're fumbling or throwing picks? At least the INT is usually an arm-punt that gives your D some breathing room (if it's not a pick-six). A fumble is straight-up awful.

Note that the QB rating is properly called the passer rating, and as the name suggests, it is only meant to judge a QB's passing ability. A fumble is not a passing stat (I don't think), so that's why it's not included. That being said, I don't even think the passer rating is the best way of measuring passing ability, because it treats the 4 parts that go into it on an equal footing and doesn't take into account the relative impacts of each of those parts on the overall outcome of the game. It's not completely without merit, and it was probably the best that anyone could have come up with at the time that it was created, but I think better measures are out there.

Indeed, but even if the correct term is passer rating, a fumble interferes with your ability to pass, just like a sack or an incompletion (in fact, worse than those two). It should definitely be part of the rating, or else a different rating should be used, one that treats each component with more scrutiny.

But then, I also think that a catchable ball that is dropped should not be an incompletion against the QB, but rather a drop for the receiver. Similarly, a receiver who tips a ball that is then intercepted should be dinged, not the quarterback.

too bad they dont take into account a stat for when the QB threw the ball away to avoid a sack or a loss. Also too bad they cant make a stat for number of wrong reads. Then add to that, as people have mentioned before, QB rushing yards.

Ray himself is playing just fine. I find it incredibly facile to expect him to be the second coming of Christ. Toronto has been an awful team for a very long time now. One guy can make a difference, but he's not going to make ALL the difference.

What is it with Toronto and Quarterbacks? I think it's because of the Toronto media's star player expectations. This team has an anchor now. Let the rebuilding begin (again). Don't foist all the responsibility onto one (albeit very important) player.

Think about it. They relate everything back to hockey...

You can change the scheme to fit the players - - or try to change the players to fit the scheme.

One works and one doesn't. Which approach do you figure the Argos are taking?

Dang it! The Argos had their chance to win new fans here in B.C. Instead they alienate Ontario from the west coast even more than the MPs over there in Ottawa. Here was the chance for Toronto to stick it to the Esks and give some breathing room to the Lions in the Western standings. Instead they go and blow it. Well I know who Toronto will be cheering on when the Lions roll into Montreal on Friday. The least the Toronto fans could do to make up for this debacle is head off to Montreal and cheer on the Lions. Rest assured the Lions will not disappoint Argo fans. The Lions will beat the Als!