The Stove gets set to heat up in BC

Steven Richardson plans to bring the dominant winning culture from Winnipeg to BC as he will join several other intriguing defensive linemen who have signed with the Lions for 2022. Simply put: it’s time to turn up the Stove.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/18/stove-gets-set-heat-bc/

Looking forward big time to seeing this guy in orange. I'm hoping he has a long, productive career up here in the north.

1 Like

[quote="PorkyPine, post:2, topic:76835"]

Looking forward big time to seeing this guy in orange. I'm hoping he has a long, productive career up here in the north.

It can only be good stuff for the cfl that BC is heading in the right direction. it was too bad your QB retired and that the past 3 seasons the Lions were not looking good on the field. They had one of the best QBs the cfl hs ever seen but he could not do it ALL by just himself
1 Like

Even with Stove in the bomber lineup, the Bombers were gaped for big yards by various CFL RBs and opposition o-lines. The beauty of Richie Hall's bend but don't bust defense was they tightened up once opponents got inside their 20 yd line. In the wrong system, Stove will stand out as a pudgy, gassed guy chasing QBs who easily elude him.

Bombers won't get another Stove replica from the NFL scrap heap but they'll get a far cheaper guy - who can patch in for Stove and perhaps prevent some of those long, gaping runs the Bombers coughed up last season.

3 Likes

Wish we could've kept him, but can't keep them all. He became well known as the season went on, he can bully the otherside. But a Good DLman is seldom celebrated as the ends get all the credit. He'd be best lined up beside a quick DE, who's BC's best sack guy?

2 Likes

I agree that the player formerly know as the Stove did struggle to keep up at times. Yet he made some big plays and is still very young and has lots of upside. He also had the right winning and team first attitude. I believe he will succeed in BC and was an excellent signing and ultimately in the numbers game probably a player the Bombers decided they couldn’t afford to keep.

But who knows what happened? Reading that he has a love for Vancouver perhaps he wanted to play there no matter what and Walters was aware of this. Maybe Walters tried to sign him or even offered him the same money he got in BC? Reading that he is from Chicago it is somewhat surprising that he would leave the similar climate and culture of sister city Winnipeg for the left coast.

I remain adamant, however, that even though we will miss Steve, he must suffer some form of desertion punishment. I have therefore started a movement that his nickname be downgraded to toaster oven. That penalty will expire after the 2022 Grey Cup, after which I will refer to him by his former nickname.

Depending on his play, microwave, hotplate, rice cooker......my favorite The Grill, when Montreal La Grill

2 Likes

So on a side note, my Nephew is a stampeder fan...and ever since he was 12 years old he pretty much has cooled for the heads of every player and coach if any of the following occurred a TD was made on every play on Offense ... any tram making more than 2 yards on a running play and ant first down on a pass or run play... not to mention when they ever lost a game or missed a 3 pointer or heaven forbid lost a play off game or a grey cup game...Sadly I am not using exaggeration very much from how he actually is... he has also never been to a live game in his life either.
I wonder if he knows it was me who put the extra large Rider stencil on his front lawn and then over fertilized it...:grin:

1 Like

If Stove sheds a couple pounds - then The George Foreman 300 Grill

1 Like

The EZ bake oven?

2 Likes

Joe Critchlow was the EZ Bake Oven