The scoop on Rakeem Cato from Gridiron Guru

Bruno rame dans le même sens que TimothyHay.

[url]http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/mon-choix-serait-rakeem-cato-1.2480160[/url]

Je crois que ça a tout de même sa valeur. Pour ma part, je pense que Cato a déjà beaucoup de qualités qu'on recherche chez un quart. Mais si on l'envoie sur le terrain, il faudra être patients. Je me souviens d'un petit quart maigrichon avec qui les Timinous ont manqué de patience. Quelle bénédiction ce fut pour nous!

Heppell is certainly making a case for Cato. Unless whoever starts absolutely tears it up against Calgary, I'd be shocked if we didn't see both Qbs in the game.

Cato is worth investing in. That's all I care about. Don't mind losing with a QB who has the potential to become a franchise QB but losing with a guy like Crompton drives me nuts.

+1

Sans préparation, Bridge a mieux fait que Crompton. C’est assez éloquent sur le potentiel de Crompton. Bon, ce n’était qu’une partie, mais il demeure que ça veut dire qu’ils sont présentement dans les mêmes eaux.

Les Lions avaient été très patients avec Lulay lorsqu’ils ont décidé de lui confier l’attaque. On connaît la suite. Les Alouettes pourraient en faire autant avec leurs jeunes quarts.

Cato’s competition is Brandon Bridge. You can read this and weep, Johnny, my friend.

[url=http://www.rds.ca/grand-club/billet/un-nouveau-visage-chez-les-alouettes-portrait-de-rakeem-cato-1.2480236]http://www.rds.ca/grand-club/billet/un- ... -1.2480236[/url]

Look, no one here is against Cato or Bridge. We're all hoping that one of the two, and hopefully both, will impress tomorrow.

Again Tim you post an article that proves the point we keep hammering. There is no favoritism and Cato is not being overlooked by anyone. When I read the posts on herdfans about Cato being disrespected because Bridge is Canadian and so forth. How Cato is being held hostage on the one game injured list, that is all BS! If anything the fan base here and the team is exited about the kid. There is no need to disparage the other kid who has also shown very encouraging things in the short time he’s been here.

I think there is a misconception about the Cfl and its talent level. I find a lot of people think that guys can come up here and dominate. There appears to be a misconception about the talent level in the Cfl.

Brandon Bridge was the ninth ranked qback in this years nfl draft. The top two picks were quarterbacks and so out of everyone else Bridge was ranked seventh. There is no bias towards Bridge. If anything being Canadian is a negative stereotype against him because hardly any Canadians have succeeded at quarterback in the Cfl.

Bridge is correctly the 3rd string ab and justifiably ahead of Raheem Cato. Using a spread gimmick offence as proof of good stats is not an effective argument. In fact scouts and talent evaluators look at it more like is he a product of the system rather than he made the system work with his talent.

Cato performed well albeit vs mediocre competition in college using a spread offence look.

Cato may perform well and start for the Als but he will have to earn it. quarterbacks in spread systems in college haven't seen and didn't take hits that the modern day Cfl quarterback takes.

Rakeem Catos competition is not Brandon Bridge, its Bo Levi Mitchell, Collaros, Burris, Willy, etc. Those are the comparisons by which he`ll ultimately be judged.

Cato’s competition is also every CFL defence and defensive coordinator! THis ain’t college ball. But again, Johnny would be very happy if Cato becomes a franchise QB for the Als. But, Johnny is not ready to anoint him as the greatest thing in the CFL before he has taken a single snap in a regular season game.

Timmy Catobooster, the more Johnny reads your posts, the more you remind him of some dude who was on this forum a few years ago. A very SENIOR fellow who was in love with Adrian McPherson… Yup, very similar…

The answer to all this will happen tonight. One of us will apologize tomorrow - but remember that Cato played 4 years at the FBS level, Bridge only one and Cato was seriously downgraded by the NFL because of his size and NFL scouts called Bridge a “project.” As for a gimmick offense, Marshall’s is modeled using much of Oregon’s scheme and Mariota was drafted second.

Oui, mais le football canadien et vraiment une autre bestiole, surtout pour un quart-arrière. Non seulement y a-t-il le fait de devoir s’adapter à la vitesse du jeu, mais il y a aussi la configuration du terrain, le nombre de joueurs, les règlements différents, le mouvement avant la remise, la remise lancée, etc. C’est beaucoup, beaucoup, beaucoup d’adaptation pour un jeune qui n’a jamais pratiqué ce genre de football. La clémence sera de rigueur et j’espère que la protection sera maximale, parce que les choses vont devenir plus compliquées à mesure que la partie va avancer. Stubler va saisir comment déranger les jeunes quarts et leur rendre la partie de plus en plus difficile. Ce sera aux Alouettes de réussir à se maintenir dans la partie, mais honnêtement, mes espoirs sont passablement limités à ce sujet. Je suis réaliste : les chances sont que ce soit un match à sens unique.

Nous verrons ce que nos jeunes ont dans le ventre, mais cette situation ressemble passablement à celle qui prévalait chez les Bou! Bombers en 2012, avec Brink et Elliott.

The only person who’ll have to apologize is you, because if Cato does tear it up, everyone here will be happy. Nobody has said Cato sucks, that he won’t succeed, or that he doesn’t deserve a chance. GG explicitly said that while Cato “may” succeed, he’ll have to earn it based on what he does in THIS pro league, not his college credentials.

- but remember that Cato played 4 years at the FBS level, Bridge only one and Cato was seriously downgraded by the NFL because of his size and NFL scouts called Bridge a "project." As for a gimmick offense, Marshall's is modeled using much of Oregon's scheme and Mariota was drafted second.
Yes, Cato is a more developed prospect. But the point about spread offenses is valid and you know it. Plenty of colleges use spread offenses to succeed no matter who's at quarterback. Many of those QBs wash out at the NFL level. And we CFL fans have seen dozens of American college QBs with gaudy resumes come up here and wash out because they can't adjust to the nuances of the Canadian game and the speed of the pros.

I am as hopeful as anyone that Cato will succeed with the Als but his success is far from a given. He hasn’t played ONE SNAP of regular-season professional football. Instead of overhyping him with unrealistic expectations, let’s allow him the time and space to develop.

Its actually funny that Tim thinks we will have an answer after his first pro game. They will both struggle. I just hope they show enough to keep moving forward and that they come out healthy.

It was not Cato’s fault that Higgins didn’t put him into the preseason games sooner, nor did he decide to put himself on the 1 game injury list.

As for overhyping, I am not doing that. Perhaps you haven’t had to deal with people with my personality, but I believe what I have written. You have not had the exposure to this player that I have over 4 years and I can say that nothing shakes him and he works his butt off for the team - no playboy rich guy like Johnny Football - he is very serious about succeeding.

But because I seem to bother some folks here, I will henceforth join the lurkers. Thanks to everyone for reading and interacting.

Tim,

I for one apreciate your passion. I don’t think you are bothering folks here except for Johnny, but that’s part of his charm :wink:

Hoping Cato has a great game and that the Als keep it exciting.

Will be taking in the 6 a 7 with the wife: She’s showing up even if Sam isn’t playing. :roll:

I am hoping the Als are able to make a game of this given who they are playing.
And when I say "Als", I include Higgins and Shonert and their play calling. I hope they call a game that allows for either QB to utilize their strengths and have some success moving the ball.
I do not want to see the D on for 2/3 rds of the game and Shonert abandoning the run game early.

This is what I care about. Not who the QB will be and where they came from.
Call a good game and allow them the chance to work the offence. It starts with Higgins and Shonert.

How on earth does this relate to Cato’s ability? Never once did I blame Cato for any of the above.

As for overhyping, I am not doing that.
Yup, you are. You're so blinded by your knowledge of his history that you can't even admit the possibility that he might just have to prove himself in THIS league. Not offended by it but I find it somewhat amusing.
Perhaps you haven't had to deal with people with my personality, but I believe what I have written. [b]You have not had the exposure to this player that I have over 4 years [/b]and I can say that nothing shakes him and he works his butt off for the team - no playboy rich guy like Johnny Football - he is very serious about succeeding.
And you know very little about the CFL. We're even. ;) I admire Cato's life story and his determination, and I hope he succeeds, but work ethic alone doesn't guarantee success. Plenty of guys work hard and don't have very much to show for it.
But because I seem to bother some folks here, I will henceforth join the lurkers. Thanks to everyone for reading and interacting.
Not sure why you want to stop posting. Disagreement is a normal part of interacting on a message board and I am certainly not offended. Make your points, engage in debate, keep it civil, and everything will be fine. We don't have to agree on an issue to talk about it.

BTW, TSN reports that Cato will start the game, so we’re all happy!