The Saskatchewan Roughriders are Coming to Town!

Is it just me, or does the sight of AJ Ouelette’s UGLY mug conjure up images of the Dueling Banjos from “Deliverance” ?? Great movie . . .

Actually that was just a rhetorical question.
What I really want to say is I hope the Tiger-Cats’ Defence is prepared to make AJ “squeal like a pig” on Sunday night, just as those hillbilly boys did to “Bobby”, the character played by the late Ned Beatty. Great character actor . . .

PS: Speaking of Deliverance, did you know that Ralph Sazio & Jerry Williams & Scott Mitchell’s dad, Doug Mitchell, were still just getting acquainted with their rookie QB, Chuck Ealey, when that movie hit the theatres in the Summer of '72 ??

PPS: Totally unrelated question . . . Do you think the CFL franchise which calls Regina, Saskatchewan “Home”, will ever be inspired to change their name to the “Saskatchewan GreenWhites” ?? It sounds stupid at first, but it grows on you after a while . . . :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Somewhere in Canadian sports we need a team named the. RED GREENS. :wink:

Sorry, I’ve been watching too much CHCH.

3 Likes

And for those that it is appropriate, it is Fathers Day.
Dinner plans need to be planned accordingly.

1 Like

Did you know that Doug Mitchell, who played centre for the Ticats, was not Scott Mitchell’s dad?

No. I did not know that. What a coincidence; I rolled the dice & assumed the “Doug Mitchell” who was the former Commissioner was also the same “Doug Mitchell” who was a former Tiger-Cat OLineman in his youth. I stand corrected - thank you for clarifying.

Any chance the 1972 Grey Cup winning Doug Mitchell, is Bo Levi Mitchell’s father ??
Just kidding !! :grin:

PS: I guess I should have known better than to think that a former CFL OLineman could ever become CFL Commissioner !! :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t worry dewey, you are not the only one who has made that assumption.

Doug Mitchel CFL head honcho 1984 - 1988 . He played 3 games for the B C Lions in 1960 . Doug Mitchell was also the father of Scott Mitchell, president of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 2007. * Wikipedia

2 Likes

…and the CIS Mitchell Bowl is named after him. :+1:

4 Likes

Unless HAM can win a shootout… as is , green DBs and no pass rush, Harris will carve up the secondary. Will be a long, angry night.

1 Like

I would assume Peters and Moxy would play this week which would be huge for us. Keep in mind our practice is wed-fri with walkthrough on Sat

3 Likes

With no pass rush and Washington’s soft zone coverage it won’t matter much who is playing in the secondary. Sure, Peters and Moxey are great additions but Washington has a way of making all-stars look ordinary.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why we wouldn’t practice Tuesday and grab an extra day of work. I know the CBA has tons of language about when they can work, but I also know we’ve done it before and there’s certainly room for improvement after week one.

1 Like

Less practice time = less chance for someone to stub their toe and go on the 6 game IR LOL.

1 Like

I fully agree and it’s frustrating. The CBA just ruins a lot of things in my opinion.

1 Like

The lack of practice time certainly seems to have an effect on the quality of play, doesn’t it?

1 Like

It’s true indeed . I have read many times where Americans who come to play here have mentioned how they love the lax practice schedule and regular regime compared to the NFL . It’s almost quite akin to a country club like atmosphere compared to the boot camp mentality that the NFL is .

I would prefer a happy medium of the two.
With the extremely limited number of reps in a practice, it’s very difficult to get a backup player in sync with the starters - especially at QB.

3 Likes

How injured is Leonard?, is the burning question for me.

1 Like

Practising just the normal 3 days, for this game, would have been a Milanovich decision. The only clause, in the CBA, related to the number of practices a team holds, between games, is this:

“During the out of camp period, when it occurs that there are six or more days between the day of the last played game and the day of the next game, Member Clubs shall be required to allow the Players to have one day off without practice or meetings.”

We don’t know, but it’s possible, if not likely, the players were in, for off-field coaching, yesterday. (?)

2 Likes

Normally the only time teams will go with a fourth practice is coming off a bye week. Generally they all keep to the three practices and one walk through most weeks. Short weeks they will sometimes only go with two practices.

Occasionally the players will be in the day following a game to review the film immediately after. Then have the next two days off. But I would have hoped they could have got one extra on-field practice in at this point of the season with the longer stretch this week.