The problem with THF

I don't think the stadium is the issue... last couple home games come right down to the wire and the entire 4th quarter people are flooding to the exits.

THF isn't the issue... it's the quality of football fan coming in that is.

Yes… the coming late and leaving early is surprising. Reminds me of Toronto. Our sports culture is changing in this city.

Or the fact that the ticket price has increased and some of the diehards may not have the money to afford season tickets anymore.

When you go to a game and the place is cheering like crazy when we have the ball you know the uneducated football fan is sitting in the stands.

I cant get over the amount of people leaving early in close games. It doesn’t make any sense.

The culture has definitely changed. You never had to tell people to make noise, or yell DEFENCE, fans just knew when to do it.
Some people want to beat the traffic at the end of the game; I like to leave late-works just as well.
This leaving early thing is leafs, blue jays thing; I like to believe we are better than them.

Traffic thing is a myth… if you have any idea how to get around this city there’s no traffic after games.

You’ll have to share your secret, Crash. I have to head down to Burlington Street to head west, and still hit traffic on James up to Cannon, on my way over to 403. Barton and Cannon can be brutal, and we always stay until the end of the game.

I guess it all depends upon what your definition of 'traffic' is. Having lived in downtown Toronto for 15 years until six years ago -what we get post Ti-Cats game is rather light traffic to me.

I live on Queen Street between King and York - and after games depending on where we parked have either driven west on King the entire way home and other times along Cannon. Sure there are a few stop and go stretches right near the stadium for maybe the first four or five minutes of the drive - but once west of Sherman - sure there still are lots of cars - but other than stopping for red lights for 30 seconds maybe three or four times en route - we zip along quite nicely right through downtown to Queen.

Leaving early has been a practice of fanatics long before Ottawa beat Seattle for the 1920 Stanley Cup Championship, which preceded the existence of both the Maple Leafs and Blue Jays. I’d bet that people even left chariot race events before they ended, to get avoid getting home to their country estate at an ungodly hour. I don’t believe whom’s better than whom enters the picture.

Says the guy who shames drivers going to work and who advocates public transport…

lol I had too

I was at the first game at BMO, the stadium emptied out just before 10PM, everyone trying to catch the GO Train before the end of the game so you aren’t packed on to that 10:30 PM train. It’s the same now for most Argo games, everyone wants to leave early to they catch the train before the final whistle. I park at Ontario Place and we usually leave early to get on to Lakeshore Blvd before everyone leaving at the final whistle.
I have friends that go to TFC games which usually start at 7PM and everyone is packed onto the station platform for the 9PM GO train.

Good point. When busy, it takes me about 30 minutes, maybe 45 to reach 403, from the parking lot, maybe 15 miles, and then about 90 minutes to drive the next 70. So, I really am over-conscious of the first half-hour.

Why would you go out of your way like that?

Getting out of the parking lots and the first couple clicks on Barton are usually the worst part. That said, first half of the season if you stayed until the end of the game, it was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper easy to get home.

"Im loving the new fan culture. No one in my row gets up 10 times during a game anymore"

Said OMD in a dream

If the timing is such that it’s busy getting out of the lot, we just chill out in the car and wait for things to thin out. Same concept as getting off an airplane at your final destination: why rush to stand up in the aisle only to wait 5 minutes for them to open the door, and another 5 minutes for all the people further ahead to get their bags out of the overhead and get out of your way? If you’re going to have to wait anyways, you might as well relax while you wait.

I usually park on a side street some distance from the stadium. By the time I walk to my car, after the game, traffic is a lot lighter. The exercise helps too.

LOL. Dawg - if it is just me - or if a friend or family member just wants to meet me at the stadium I ride the city share bikes to the game - and I do ride them home too if the person I was at the game isn’t going to be driving right by my place on the way home to their place anyways. :slight_smile:

I remember when people used to show a bit of courtesy and wait until a break in play (i.e. 75-80% of the time in a professional football game) before deciding that their need to access facilities NOW (and not in 10 seconds) outweighed everyone else’s need to see a play.