The problem with the Ti-Cats...

Agreed. The last few years I’ve seen more Ticat merch being worn around than I have in all previous years combined. No fewer than 3 of the guys on my hockey team (of about 12) will be sporting some Ticat wear at any given game. And, trips to the grocery store, Canadian Tire, Home Depot lead me to the same conclusion.

I vote this for overstatement of the century.

Just curious – what could possibly lead someone to this conclusion?
Let’s take a peak back to see what’s happened over the past 10 years:

• Argos attendance has risen dramatically…previously topping out at about 19,000 to season averages near 30,000.
  • The Ticats have gone from ‘save the Cats’ campaigns to being embarrassed by crowds of 20,000 – remember, that number was the goal under the Grant ownership.
  • Toronto ran a very successful Grey Cup - an unthinkable feat 10 years ago.
  • Both team’s revenue (via sponsorships) has continued to rise from virtually nil.
  • Television ratings on TSN continue to break previous year records.
  • CFL football continues to be the #2 sports property in Canada – and a good chunk of viewers live in Southern Ontario.

Not sure, but I have a heard time readying the funeral pyre just yet. Yes, there’s work to be done. Yes, to ensure long term stability/ profitablilty in this very crowded and difficult market, the teams have to be on their toes.

I’m not saying everything is peachy – but I’d say both teams are about as far from death as they’ve been since the heydays of the late '70s and early '80s.

You're right slo, it is an overstatement. I'm just doing it a bit for effect and a devil's advocate. What I'd like to say is, personally speaking, build at Rheem since I want it there. And I do. And I could go on like Captain like everything is hunky dory there.

The point I'm trying to get across is that, as so many have stated, is that the David Braley's and Bob Young's need to be fully consulted as to the needs of the CFL here in southern Ontario. I personally think both would prefer a stadium with easy accessibility by car, visibility from a major highway and lots of parking. I might be mistaken but don't think so. We'll see. I just have hesitations about the west harbourfront site/Rheem. But I understand if the bulk of the funding is public and from the city and province and they want it at Rheem, then that is where it's going. I get that. I just think the Cats need to eventually to be able to draw more out of town people and this is where I think the harbourfront site will have problems.

Ok, I will shut up with overstating it as I have. But I have lots of fears. Just have to wait for the Cats report and reactions.

That is absolutely correct. People forget that nearly 2 million people watched this year’s Grey Cup were for the GTA alone. That’s nearly 1/3 of veiwers. To me that says that the market is definitely there. As a poster before you stated, years of poor management in terms of ownership, vision in terms of the stupid blackout policies and bad teams takes time to rebuild that core fan base. Not to add that the region has been especially hard hit during the recession and well…

The GTA is a gold mine for the CFL, aside from Atlantic Canada that’s where the game has the most to gain. They did in Quebec with a complete turnaroud (That province was bar none Canada’s baseball hotbed, you played hockey in winter, baseball in summer). The Als folded a couple times, the new re-incarnation was drawing 6k at one point. I believe the same is possible in the GTA. Build the game, and they will come…

LOL! No worries here, mate. I totally get the reasoning – gotta illustrate the point. And trust me, I share many similar views. However, I think sometimes we still have to take a look back and see how far both of these teams have come in a relatively short period. That said, things to change quickly – and all the gains can be undone pretty quick. I think there’s a very bright future for the league – but, it will take much vigilance and effort to make it happen.

I made a mistake in my post, nearly 1 million tuned into the Grey Cup from GTA.
Still very good numbers.