The Past Haunts The City Of Hamilton Always!!!

So much talk on this web site for a new stadium for the Cats to play but let the record be straight that Hamilton politics has had many chances for new stadiums going back to the days of past owners Mike DeGroot and Harold Ballard. Ballard for one, made a pitch to the City of Hamilton back in the eighties to give him a piece of Confederation Park land for $1.00 and he would build a modern 30,000 plus seat stadium on the lake, at the QEW at no cost to the tax payer however like most bad decisions in Hamilton that went down the tubes like most other bad political decisions in Hamilton, the downtown park, the downtown re-development etc. Mike DeGroot talked about a new stadium but the City of Hamilton gave no ground to the owner like they did with Harold Ballard. The only good thing to come out of Hamilton is the Tiger-Cats and certain citizens like Bob Young that take an interest in the City. The Political brass in Hamilton should get off their ass and fund a new stadium or provide the land at 0 cost to the present owner or any group interested to develop a new stadium, especially if Ivor Wynne is in bad need of repairs in the 20 million range plus, that would seem logical, however logic is not word associated with Past Hamilton Politics. Go Cats Go!!!

Uh, no.

As a taxpayer, I would fund it and I say no.

I would rather have better roads and sewers, and then fix the downtown.

…“The Hammer” needs a lot of fixing and unfortunatly there are too many residents that don’t know what’s good for the city.(as in many cities)
Everyone looks at 1 or 2 big spends and closes the door way to fast, instead of looking at the future of the City. Instead they use the “what’s it it for me and now” sindrom.
…just another reason why it will always be a “Class B” city long term…(as with many cities)

The people of Hamilton may want to look up the word “progressive” and see that it’s a good thing.

:cowboy:

Could not resist responding to this string. As a past
resident of Hamilton for 41 years I can not believe the condition of the downtown. Without question there has been alot of stupid decisions made by the brain trust in City Hall.

I traveled from Hamilton, St. Catharines and Woodstock to honour my seasons tickets. I presently live in Kitchener. I am ashamed to say I am from Hamilton considering the effort Kitchener/Waterloo have made to clean up the downtown core.

I can only think of the Lister Blockand numerous other locations that are an eye sore and product of the brain trust a city hall. A new stadium --- don't hold your breath.

Maybe there was one chance in Hamilton, other than a succesful CG bid, and that one chance went into Copps. Maybe it's "game over" I'm starting to think in terms of football stadiums, big reno for IWS or a new one. :frowning:

Wow, as much as I love IWS this City has more important things to worry about. I know the current Mayor will have growing pains, and I was gung ho at one point, I am slowly seeing no change and paper has more personality.
I am willing for the time being to put up with IWS (IT HAS THE BEST SITE LINES OF ANY PRO STADIUM AROUND) and think of the rest as "Character". But I think a New stadium will have to stay a wish in a bottle for now.

The latest census was just released and it shows that despite an overall population growth for Hamilton (504,000), the population of the lower city has decreasad by 5,000 people since 2001.

(Cheergirl1985) Wow, as much as I love IWS this City has more important things to worry about. I know the current Mayor will have growing pains, and I was gung ho at one point, I am slowly seeing no change and paper has more personality. I am willing for the time being to put up with IWS (IT HAS THE BEST SITE LINES OF ANY PRO STADIUM AROUND) and think of the rest as "Character". But I think a New stadium will have to stay a wish in a bottle for now.
The current mayor is going to have egg on his face if and when a catastophe occurs at IWS. As a metallurgist, I would suggest that the steel and/or iron support beams are old and rusty and the possibility exists that they could give way. Our city hall is much newer than the stadium and yet it will either undergo a complete renovation or replacement because it is unsafe and outdated. In terms of the Lister Block, indecisiveness has necessesitated in a look alike structure being built. Who needs it? Knock it down and build some badly needed parking spaces down town. I really don't want to hear any more about this structure being a heritage site while talk continues about building a replica. Just demolish it and consider doing the same thing to Ivor Wynne. The incessant talk about site lines has been running stale for a long time now.

With the taxes we pay in Hamilton, we should be able to rebuild or replace IWS and more importantly, take care of our infra structure as well.

re-I can only think of the Lister Blockand numerous other locations that are an eye sore and product of the brain trust a city hall. A new stadium --- don't hold your breath.------- IMO the lister block , is one ugly mistake- implode it--- Ivor wynn is the historic site worth preserving,and renovating.

The Problem is Corruption in today's Cities Halls.
If You Watch The CH 6 pm or 11 PM News
You'll see it all the Time Government Waist
Waisted Money Kick Backs Bad Budgets ect ect.
There is never a enough money to fix or Replace IWS.
When you can Grease a Aldermen for Licence for a Bar

The Mismanagement of The City will Never Stop
Cause the Government Money is our Money
The just Raise the Taxes ..

The Worst thing to every happen was Mega Cities
Under Mike Harris
Now it even Easier to hide The Corruption
Forget about Government it to busy Waisting Our Money

Downtown Hamilton has great potential if tax dollars were invested in it. Other cities made that decision and benefitted (Cleveland, Pittsburgh). Unfortunately, special interest groups and a bloated bureaucracy have an insatiable thirst for "funding" at everyone's expense.

I agree with the posts, I myself was born in Hamilton and like many fans have moved on to new locations but still remain a faithful Cat fan.

I presently live about three hours from Ivor Wynne stadium so life is much different these days but to see the news reports on CH on what is going on in Hamilton with the Downtown core is a dissgrace, probably as much as the decline of (IWS). Ivor Wynne has always had problems in some ways either bad washrooms, leaky plumbing, rodents, food concessions, whatever, but when you hear fans talking about structural problems and rebar showing through the cracks in the concrete than it's time to wake up, some action must be taken to fix the problem or like one fan said wait for a disaster to happen which would be totally wrong.

All tax-payers in Hamilton and fans of the Ti-Cats should know the present state of their facility and what is required to get it upto 2007 code and as a showplace for Ti-Cat football present and future. if the present City government isen't willing to make that kind of commitment to the residents and fans than not much hope remains for Ivor Wynne and we will all just sit and watch when the stands come crumbling down, just like the downtown, lister block and so on.

It's time the Polititions in Hamilton start dealing with developers and investors in your City in a business like fashion rather than mafia style dealings and lining your own pockets, because the future of your City is what is right for the residents of Hamilton and fans of the Tiger-Cats, don't let your stadium fall in desperate need of repair like your downtown or all will be lost.

Cheers, Go Cats Go!!!