The Panel

so far I am liking Hank on the panel

No specifically about the panel, but Rod Smith gave a very credible performance calling the Winnipeg-Montreal game Thursday night. A big step up from Black, certainly. So now two (at least) TSN employees who have previously called games for TSN but are benched in favour of Black.

Let's be honest here: we have NO idea why Schultz is no longer on the panel. For all we know he could be taking on a behind the scenes managerial role.

I'm not comfortable with the speculation only pointing towards conflict, whereas in fact it could simply be a job role/career choice that Schultzy made. There is no smoke so let's not make it.

Case in point: here a local radio station had one of their key morning men vanish this past winter. No word, no mention, one day he was gone and replaced by a younger guy. Speculation was rampant and varied from friction existing between him and his co-host, to a DUI accusation, to ongoing insubordination. Blah blah blah. ln reality, the man always wanted to produce, so he applied for a producer position and was now running the content for the entire station. Huge promotion for him. Massive.

But many ignorant peons instead just fabricated their own BS - because if they don't know - they simply make things up. Not cool at all. If we don't want to look and sound like a bunch of gossipy old ladies, then we shouldn't act like them.

I don’t know what the situation is, but I figure that if it was all good, the panel would have said something by now. I do remember that the last I saw of Schultz on the panel, he was flipping a pencil or something and saying to Milt, I don’t like you anyhow while looking away. I first thought it was supposed to be a joke, but never felt sure about it.

We simply don’t know.
Speculating and then typing it into here is no different than narrow minded and clueless old women gossiping. Not cool, IMO. These people we like to watch on these broadcasts deserve a bit more respect than that.

it may or may not be different but it is part of what forums are for. As long as one admits what they are saying is theory and not fact, no problem

Absolutely. My point is it’s fascinating how eager many are to reveal their own ignorance, narrowmindedness, and negativity. One can choose to speculate that Schultz got promoted or made a lifestyle change after his father’s death and now doesn’t want the tough weekend TV schedule work etc - and they’re not focusing on that and thus keeping it quiet - but we never hear that. We only hear the negative speculation, and seemingly a desire by many to churn poop. Which reveals attitude, IMO.

Schultz is doing the color commentary on the Argos radio broadcast on TSN 1050. Listened to the game on Saturday while driving home from grandsons ball playoffs. Think TSN could replace Black with Shultz any day and it would be a vast improvement.

Not so sure about that. That's like saying a left tackle can play receiver because they're both football players. PxP is a completely different animal to colour.

Black does have the needed energy for play calling (just wish he'd give up on the red zone/green zone thing and just call it what 99.9% of us call it....the red zone!).

Now there’s an idea. Any of Smith/Miller/Walker for play-by-play, with Schultz for colour commentator for the Eastern prime crew, Cuthbert and Suitor for the Western prime crew, with whoever’s left from the first three named above with Forde as the floaters, filling in where required.

Any of the above would be a vast improvement over Black. Put him back on figure skating where he belongs.

Schultz had personal matters that he needed to attend to...his place if he wants to expand on that at some point. He had a rough couple years in his personal life. He started mixing in more with the CFL late last season...but it was at a point it made sense to remain in the shadows a bit. He is back at it now and getting back into some radio as well.

He was still working as an analyst in different thing while away. Stuff he could do remotely for the most part. It was also an opportunity to entrench himself more with the NFL and become one of their key football people as opposed to one league or the other

He rather likes the analyst role where he can dedicate in depth breakdowns on weekly games...i wouldn't expect a lot if him on the panel though. Spot duty likely goes to Sanchez...but he will be more present at least

I do wish he would do color as a regular though. Perhaps with positive feedback we will see that.

got the best duo in the booth for tonight.

Rod does such a good job for just calling the game .

A few gaffes but he caught himself mid sentence .

Let's Matty carry the pom poms or throw some rocks .

Matty is not afraid to criticize the game or players .

Dunigan stumbles and gets tongue-tied fairly often, but is the most entertaining of the commentators. Smith is a pleasant surprise; I wasn't impressed when he first started on the panel. This team should get more work.

came across this which I think might be a little telling.

where is says Speakers Like Chris Schultz, from the panel there is Dunigan and Climie, but not Stegall. I realize that many others are missing as well, but I still find it noteworthy

https://www.prospeakers.com/speakers/chris-schultz/

who remembers tillman and marty York on the panel. Who used to be on with them?

Have listened to a couple of argo games on TSN radio and love the insight that Shultz adds to the broadcast.

Bob O’Billivich, Less Browne, Marty York, Darren Dutyshyn. Dynamite!

I cant stand stegall. If it came down to it, I would rather have rod black on the panel.