The Ottawa game is crucial

I think tonight's game will be huge in setting the tone for the rest of the season.

Obviously the two games against Toronto and Montreal mean more in the standings, being "4-point games" against our rivals for the remaining playoff spots. But I predict that we will know how the season will play out after this first Ottawa game.

With our team coming off such an emotional game in Toronto, they can react in one of two ways. Either they strengthen their resolve to play up to their capabilities and eliminate the mistakes that cost them last week's game ... or they let their doubts overtake them, lose the psychological battle, and repeat past mistakes.

If they win convincingly tonight, I see them regaining their confidence, re-establishing the momentum they had with the 4-game win streak, and going 3-1 or even 4-0 these last 4 games, likely winning first place. In this scenario, there is no reason to think anyone in the East could beat us in the playoffs.

If they lose tonight (regardless of whether it's by 1 point or 30 points), as much as I hate to say it, I see them getting into a funk and finishing perhaps 1-3 in the final 4 games, and likely missing the playoffs altogether.

Go Cats!

first of 6 in a row starting tonight… believe it and it will be so.

I agree Pat, this game will set the tone for the rest of the season. If Hamilton would have beat the blue team last week, I believe we probably would be looking at first place without a worry…but “would of and could of” don’t count in football.

Hopefully Hamilton can focus on tonight’s game with a sense of urgency, knowing it’s a “must win”. Would love to see us take the Ballards Cup next week.

Great post. I just had a conversation with someone about the exact same thing, before I read this. To me, it’s a must-win game…in a figurative sense.

IMO ALL of the remaining regular season games are "must win" and I believe that they can start on another win streak tonight - four games in a row to the end of the season. Then the bye and another win at home in the EF. Won't predict the GB yet :smiley:

I used the word “convincingly” deliberately. This win was not very convincing - especially playing a team that BC (coming off a close game against us) had beaten the tar out of just last week.

I still think our offence needs to get a lot better for us to have the dominating finish I predicted in the above passage.