The Offical Glenn vs Porter in 2010 thread

I'd say Glenn is more likely at this point, but Porter starting wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

You are bang on with the above comment. Obie likes a more mobile QB. :rockin:

Buck Pierce, Brett Favre....who the heck knows at this stage.
Glenn, Porter Tafralis and Boltus will be at training camp but that doesn't mean a lot right now. Obie always has something brewing.
If the question is.. who will the starter be if training camp opens tomorrow then I would have to go with Glenn as #1 and Porter as #2. But at the end of training camp I would not be surprised if Trafalis ends up as #2. I have a hunch Porter will be traded before the season starts.

I believe you nominated Dyakowski for QB last year BG. Your picks are getting a little bit better every year :wink: .

LMAO!! Well played. I had completely forgotten that. I think Peter has earned his spot on the line so I won't make him play QB :wink:

I had Fabio Falice penciled in as QB a couple of years ago. Guess we are more alike than you'd like to admit :wink:

That’s the meanest thing anyone has ever said to me. :lol: :stuck_out_tongue:

from the ending of last season - i would say Glenn.

But i can't vote in the poll because i would leave it up 2 their performances in Training Camp.

• I liked the little i saw of Trafalis last year (2 be fair - who says he can't be a second stringer? even though
    i know Porter and Glenn won't go 2 3rd string at this point in their career)

Probably Glenn.

I don't care who starts as long as the offense is producing. Last year that meant benching Porter... this year it could be the opposite.

Lets see, who is Montreal gonna start next yr?
Calvillo or the rookie??
Who won the grey cup this past yr???
Answer Calvillo. So who are they starting next yr. Calvillo of course, or at least until some one earns the position over him.
So why is it even a question here? Glenn has earned his stripes and until some one earns the job over him he should be the starter in Tiger town in 2010!
Go Cats Go!!

I would think only 4 QBs have a lock on a starting position in 2010: Burris, Ray, Durant, and Calvillo, assuming he's back.

Of the remainder, Glenn would have the stongest grip but it is not ironclad. Joseph and Bishop should both be worried, even though there is no strong challenger to either at the moment. BC will have the most interesting competition with three legitimate candidates for starter - that's probably going to be the #1 story of this year's training camps.

(Dr. Mopar: The response to your latest comparison is too obvious to even bother typing.)

With all due respect Pat, unless Porter comes to camp with a new attitude and a desire to earn the position then he will be traded before training camp ends.

According to Obie, the quarterback position will be a wide open competition at training camp. I like all four quarterbacks and it seems rather silly to be getting upset about who is the starter. The Steelers ended up needing their third string QB Dennis Dixon this year. Depth and experience at every position is what makes teams contenders year after year. Porter's experience last year was good for the TiCats going forward. Tafralis' play was very positive. Who knows, maybe Boltus will be the man in 2010? I find it rather amazing that some people on this site have so much invested emotionally in who is the starter. I gotta agree with borehamgirl. Most TiCat fans just want more wins than the other guys. Let Obie and Marcel decide who starts. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7)

These are the two that decided Porter last yr. Do you think they are still eating crow over that?

Doc: Don’t talk about anyone eating crow until we find out who the starter will be. Porter could excel in training camp and become the starter again.
I think he will be traded but I have to agree with Obie that the starter’s job should be wide open. I would guess Glenn as the starter and Trafalis as the #2. But you never know who else Obie may bring in before training camp.

Personally I"m all for the open competition, and may the best man win !

My guess, and it's only a guess at this point of course. . . is that Glenn would emerge as the starter and I'm basing that on the fact that he outplayed Porter in 2009.

I'd also guess that there is a good chance of Trafalis moving up to #2. . . he looked like he has good potential from what I saw of him last season. . . and as for Porter, his 2009 performance looked to me not as good as what we'd seen of him in 2008. So instead of 'developing', he was actually regressing.

But all that can change, and I hope and trust that the decision will be made based on what is best for the team and how they perform in 2010, and is not based on any preconceived notions.

Quick question, why does everyone think Tafralis is going to move up to #2? Did he really play that well?

This is what I remember of Adam from last year, came in on 3rd and 1s, and ran the ball straight ahead or off tackle to pick up the first down.

I think what is stuck in our minds is the 2nd and short where he lofted one up to the endzone that produced a touchdown. If I recall correctly it was a huge play because the receiver went up to get the underthrown ball.

Glenn, Porter, Tafralis, 1,2,3

Kevin Glenn has internalized his years of CFL experience solidly into his mind

to the point where his decisions on the field appear to be instinctive.

Kevin knows what to do in the 3 seconds of time a QB gets to make a play.

Quinton has the prototypical NFL quarterback's body and decent arm strength

His decision-making may have appeared to reach a decent level of internalization
many times during games over the last 1 1/2 when he has gotten into the flow

but when the defence adjusts and does something he hasn't experienced before
he is less capable of adjusting to them and more likely to make mistakes than Kevin.

P.S.

Anybody who thinks some QB can just show up from stateside at training camp
and suddenly take over as our #1 quarterback must be smoking funny cigarettes.

Experience trumps natural talent. It doesn't matter who looks the prettiest.

[And I would include Adam Tafralis and Jason Boltus in that group.]

:cowboy: I think Porter should be handed the ball. He has the tools....size, throws and runs. He is going to be good given the chance. The first time he was given the ball when Printers was around he did awsome. Hey! Glen is a good QB but Porter is our future!

Cats Forever!

Ron:

I don’t think anyone is smoking funny cigarettes here.
Obie could sign another QB is is already in the CFL. Maybe as the #2.
I would like to see Travis Lulay wearing the black and gold…but he is in the second year of his 2 year contract. Gotta look ahead !