The O-Line

The Cats have an O.Line where the majority of players starting are made up of Sophomores and Rookies. That right there is the problem, as they are early in their careers and haven't picked up all the nuances of the professional game, and it also means there is no depth at the position (in one of the more injury prone positions no less).

There were 31 available O.Linemen available this free agency, and the Cats didn't pick up a single one. Granted, most extended with their existing teams, and only 3 moved, but give the Cats literally didn't do anything else but sign a kicker during free agency. Even just to address depth issue, but no.

This is a management and personnel issue, you can't field rookie players and not expect rookie results.

Sure you can. Can you say Chuck Ealey. ;D

So you honestly expect every Rookie in this league to be a hall of fame player?

Sure Rookies can exceed expectations but they are few and far between. There is a reason majority of Rookie and Sophomore players get cut in this league. It’s the nature of the beast sadly and we are witnessing the folly of building entire positions out of them. Specifically our O.Line and Secondary that has just 1 INT against teams not named the Alouettes.

So to further vindicate what I’ve said about our O.Line

[b]Of the 72 Hamilton penalties accepted by the other team,a league-high 23 have been for procedure or offside, among the leading causes of coaches' health problems.[/b]
[b]Hamilton has given up 21 sacks, with only the 27 by Montreal's cheesecloth protection ranked lower[/b], while creating only a dozen sacks itself. That is not good math.[b]Neither is the 6.0 yards it has given up, on average, every time the opponent rushes.[/b]
Are we ready now to accept that just maybe trading our offensive line away was a bad move, and that just maybe our GM should have signed at least a few linemen during free agency?

I take your point about our young O line.

I'm not sure though, that a high rushing average by opponents against our defence, or our low sack total, further vindicate it.

Just the ones that play for the Cats!! :wink: ;);D

You are right on the rushing average, I read it as yards given up by offense and rushes for some reason as pressures on the QB. That is entirely my error.

However, that 21 is sacks given up, or sacks allowed. That means our QB has been sacked 21 times this season.

That does fall on the O.Line

And the receivers who don’t get open. And the coaching staff that cannot compensate. And the HC/OC for poor play calling. And the QB that holds on to the ball for too long or not making timely decisions (tying into the receivers not getting open). And the opposing defences that constantly blitz more players than we have players to block them.

Danny McMannus was only sacked for a record 6 times in 1999, thanks to an incredible O-line, his quick release, and getting rid of the ball when he was pressured.

It is easy to blame the O-line for all of the sacks, but I think most of the fault lies with the coaching. Our playbook seems to be totally devoid of any plays that counter the blitz.

Too much of an all or nothing philosophy with this offence. Blitzes come faster than the routes can develop and since the Cats mostly commit RB and another receiver to block then a hot route or screens are not available to counter the rush.

Jones and Masoli need to figure this out, ASAP. It’s cost them points in the standings.

If you look at the video link I posted in the Field Position And Penalties thread you will be taken aback when you hear June Jones say he prefers it when the opposing team brings pressure against the run and shoot offense. LOL :o

They’ve been playing 6 Olineman for half the season and they still can’t get solid protection. I honestly cant remember the last time we’ve taken a “coverage sack” (maybe in the last minute of a game against a prevent defense?)

After week 11 Cats have allowed 22 sacks, well behind Montreal at 32 and ahead of the Argos at 20 (The league leaders in this category are around 15).

Other stats that reflect on the quality of the O-Line are all respectable - six seconds behind Calgary in time of possession, second in passing and third in rushing.

I didn't see Avery 58 get schooled like he did before.

This was an improved unit from week 9. I'd give them a B for the performance on Saturday night.

Danny Mac only had 6 sacks against him, cause he was very elusive, unlike Masoli who is like a pylon! ;D

I hope your “elusive “ is sarcasm. My recollection is that his feet were like two concrete blocks in the pocket. He had a great oline, had one of the quickest reads and releases in the league. He’d hit a receiver before anyone knew what was happening. Not quick or mobile by any extent.
Masoli can run backwards faster than Danny running forwards ?

The great thing is that once or twice a year, they’d run the QB draw with Danny Mac, and on the rare occassion they called it, it typically worked because it was such a tendency breaker. It was kind of like spotting an albino moose while you’re out for a hike.

i still remember that naked bootleg against calgary to win the game. commentators couldn’t stop laughing

I'd give the LDC performance of the O-Line an A-. They are gelling and working well as a unit.

We had good pass protection and excellent run blocking. Revenburg, Filer and Mathews were downfield blocking the way Bomben used to do.

Barring injury this group only gets better.

When asked by reporters to comment on his speed Danny said he "ran as fast as a glacier". Laughed my ass off over that one... :slight_smile:

I heard a player yell over to DMac once “hey what was your 40 time…” He said… If you ran a 4.4 I ran a 4ever.