The NFL Magnet

Neilca.
That deal ended a few years ago.
NFL isn't giving the CFL nothing.
Nor should they.
Unless they sign away a CFL player.
Then there should be a transfer fee. Like in soccer.

And about being a "developmental" league?
What kind of wishy washy attitude is that?
Whats our league have to do with theirs?
Players can go where they want when their contract runs about.
But as far as players moving from one league to the other like the AHL to the NHL?
Forget it.

When the official transfer agreement between the CFL and NFL ended a couple of years ago, Cohon went down to the states with some fanfare to speak to the NFL about renewing the agreement, and extending the overall CFL-NFL relationship.

I remember being surprised with how little information was offered by Cohon when he came back. The only thing he told the media was the agreement would not be renewed. And that was it, end of discussion.

I've always wondered what the NFL proposed to the CFL. Whatever it was it wasn't something that the CFL was very happy about. Basically all dealings with the NFL ended there, although for the sake of being able to access better players (and their agreement with the CFLPA) the league kept the option year escape clause going.

Was it...we don't need you, we're not talking to you, we've got our own developmental league and AFL so screw you? Or was it...look we'll pay you 2 million a team for your little league/ Or was it...we'll sign any player we want, regardless of whether under contract (which has never happened). Obviously I'm being somewhat facitious here, but you know what I mean. Ive just always been curious about those talks.

Completely false, CFL has never been a “development league”, for the nfl, what did happen was the NFL caused the CFL to incur legal bill,s over the use of the “Colts” nickname for the Baltimore franchise,and other NFL meddling in the CFL,s USA expansion. The NFL “loaned” the CFL 3 million dollars to smooth things over after the CFL (a much smaller business than the NFL)(see Canada’s population vs USA )found itself in financial difficulty because of the NFL,s bully tactics.CFL expansion into U.S.A was a response to NFL encroachment on CFL T.V. revenue. It is true part of that money was for NFL marketing help, but in no way does the NFL own any part of the CFL, or place “prospects” on CFL rosters,Players leaving CFL for NFL are F.A,s and same for players entering CFL from NFL.

When the CFL expanded to the States, there was a legal challenge to the CFL ratio rule,s (by NFL?)that forced the CFL American team,s to ONLY have U.S players on their roster,s .(not that it made them any better) Does Canada have the same Labour law? and if so could CFL fans bring the CFL to court to protect Canadian Players Job,s?

It was my understanding that the talks with the NFL ended when the NFL allowed the Bills to play games in Toronto.

Agreed. Personally I think a 100% canadian CFL would be absurd. But that may just be me.
Don’t forget that Dimitri Tsoumpas and Rolly Lumbala were both Non-imports. It’s not just American’s leaving for the NFL.

100 % Canadian is obviously not feasible, However If Imports are displacing Canadian,s who are just as good then something has gone wrong with the status quo IMO

For some reason I get this nagging feeling that despite the success and popularity of the CFL on and off the field, there's forces out there who are intent on destroying it.

You''d have to figure that the real baseball Blue Jay nuts would love the CFL to go belly up as the CFL is some competition for the TV fanbase in the summer. And even in southern Ontario, I think the TiCats resurgence has hurt a bit the Blue Jays attendance.

Also there is a certain group of people in the Toronto power group who probably still figure with no CFL in Toronto, the city might have a better chance at an NFL team. This is an old tired angle that's been beaten to death but probably still has a couple legs to it maybe.

good point Earl- The blue jays became the Toronto media darling,s after the Argo,s won the 1983 grey cup who had a lot of good press leading up to that G.C. _Once the Blue Jays won the world series(twice) the novelty of beating America at its past time wore off. then came the Raptors, who only sell tickets based on leaf ticket sales(most of them corporate) SO that leaves the NFL for Toronto,s media to conquer, come hell or the death of the CFL.

The Blue Jays are only alive becuase Ted Rogers was willing to lose his shirt on them all those years.
If Godfrey hadn't talked Ted into saving the Blue Jays, there would have been no other buyers.

But the new people running Rogers are bottom line guys, and they see no use for baseball.
Problem is there's nobody who will touch the Blue Jays. They're a lost cause.

So Rogers has two options.
Put on a brave face and try to make it work. Or unload the team back onto Bud Selig.
Like they did in Montreal.
I say a few more years of 7 figure losses with no hope in sight and they'll fold the team if they have to.

And I hope Cohon realizes there are people out there who want to kill the CFL.
So don't go making any side deals with the NFL.
Beause I think the NFL wants Toronot, but sees the CFL as a huge stumbling block.
And they have the bucks to suffocate our league out of existance.
So as they say Mark. No deal with the devil!

Rogers will hold onto the Blue Jays I think, it's a branding thing for them as I've read and with the RC even if they do lose money on the team. They just won't try and compete with the Sox and Yanks in salaries and will run middle of the road. At some point I'm sure they will up the stakes with the city and say they'll sell the team if the city doesn't build a new stadium, that's at the time when Rogers will want to sell the RC. At some point that will happen but when, who knows.

For the time being Rogers will keep the Jays, but as mentioned be a low budget team. They still own Skydome and would have nothing to put during summer as TSN has the CFL and CBC has MLS/Track/Other Olympic sports.

Eventually though, what berezin is saying is true. Once skydome is obsolete and roger’s doesn’t want the team anymore, the jays may be in trouble. Also it’s very conceivable that had the Montreal Expos gotten what the Jays did, and the Jays were stuck with the Expos faith, the only MLB team in Canada would be the expos.

I agree except for the NFL wanting Toronto. right now, toronto is just a way for the Bills to make some extra $$. The NFL would much rather expand south of the american border then North. The owners, such as jones, would rather there be fewer teams if anything, since then he would make more money(less sharing of profits). im sure when this bills BS is over, the NFL will not look at Toronto again for a perminant home for anything.