The New Doug Flutie

Seconded. Darian Durant is a fantastic QB, and while he’s not the best QB in the league today (I’d put him 3rd or 4th right now), I think he definitely has the potential to be at some point.

However I’m going to repeat what FYB and others have said: we won’t see another Moon or Flutie up here - the NFL just has too many resources available to find these guys. Although I wouldn’t mind being wrong about that :wink:

yet he did plenty last season… hmmm

Excellent post… this is so obvious that it’s a wonder that more people don’t see it.

There have been a lot of QBs that have shown “tremendous potential.” We have one here in Hamilton who looks to have, sadly, flamed out. Durant has been better than Porter, and I am not for a second doubting Durant’s play so far. But he’s still only in his second year as a starter. It’s not like he’s set the league on fire. I think it is too early to say he might be one of the best in CFL history.

Is it April 1st??

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I agree with footballyoubet- " there will never be another Doug Flutie ". Living in Niagara,I do follow the Buffalo Bills and, really enjoyed D Flutie's play in the NFL. He was completely ignored by all the coaches but he did get a chance to play and- he won the game and another and, even another. The BB's lost out in a playoff game when they let another QB play the entire game. All of us Canadian fans living in Niagara believed that Flutie should have played this game. I would describe Flutie as " a winner".

I believe that also Niagra Als. And I also believe B.C. should have started Printers over Dickenson in the Grey Cup game years ago too! Not too sure if the Lion’s would have won however.

Everyone but Wade Phillips thought Flutie should have played in that game. Instead, Rob Johnson (that’s the other QB) gets the start and the Bills lose. They haven’t made the playoffs since. I am convinced that had Flutie played the Bills would have beat Tennessee. Stupid decision by Wade Phillips.

This is even worse than the Flutie benching. Printers was the MOP for heaven’s sake! He was voted as the best player in the ENTIRE LEAGUE, yet he wasn’t the best QB on his own team? I don’t question Buono a lot, but this was a bonehead move.

At this time there was some there was ill feelings between the Canadian and American fans. I can recall the following quote from an American- " its all those Canadians who want Flutie to play". There are a considerable numbes of Canadians who attend the Bills games. WE were indeed cheering for Flutie to start and, were very disappointed when Flutie did not play that day. 100 % of us believed the Bills would have won with Flutie.

If I remember correctly, during his stay in Buffalo, when Flutie started the Bills almost always won, and when Johnson started the Bills almost always lost. I remember at least one game when Flutie came off the bench to win a game that Johnson was losing. Yet, when it came time to choose one or the other, Phillips chose Johnson. Was it because of his height? I don't know, but it certainly wasn't because of his ability.

As for Durant, I agree it's far too early in his career as a starter to anoint him "the new Doug Flutie." It would be like saying Justin Bieber is "the next Elvis."

justin who???

Wade Phillips has gone on record to say he was forced by ownership to start Johnson, whether or not that is the truth I don’t know.

The entire discussion is premature, I enjoy having Durant as the Riders quarterback. He’s an exciting player, but he has a ways to go to be even rightfully mentioned as one of the elite QB’s in this league, let alone compared to the best quarterback the CFL has ever seen.

I'd say this was the stupid thread to jinx the Riders and perhaps it should be deep-sixed for good!

But was it an Al's conspiracy?

...you want it deep-sixed, and yet you posted to bring it to the top? :wink:

Okay you got me JM02 – just rubbing some salt in some of those obnoxious wounds in that nation and stirring the pot. :lol:

Well the 2-6 Eskies made him look very ordinary tonight.

You have a bit of an edgy side that must come out with Edmonton wins. Forgive us for missing it since the preconditions haven’t been met all that often this year :lol: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

I think ordinary would be rather complimentary, there was nothing ordinary about his game tonight, it just wasn’t very good.

Do you remember Johnny Rodges the " ordinary superstar?"